Painting the 1500

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rednaxs60

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Decided to start a new thread specifically about the painting of the 1500, repairs, prepping, painting and final product. Looked at the bike yesterday to determine how items come apart. have a good handle on this.

The paint project will be done in stages.

1. First will be prep and repairs to cracks and other items. Have to address the crack issues or a reasonable/good paint job will be marred.
2. Determining what pieces need to have the backside painted as well. This side piece has paint flaking from the edge, best to fix before doing the front:
Side Panel Original Emblem Holes.jpg

3. Side Panels, lower front panels, front lower cover (behind front wheel), Mirrors, Fairing trim, and front fairing.
4. Trunk, saddlebags, rear outer fender
5. Plastic trim pieces - front/rear (new colour closer to the original dark blue will be applied)

Had most of these pieces off over the last three weeks or so, cleaned before installed. Should be a lot faster to get to the paint phase because of this.

Started today to prep the bike. Took the chrome trim off the rear of the bike:
1500 - 6.JPG
Chrome Trim Off.jpg
The trunk rack will stay on for the next day or so just in case I go for a ride, keeps water out.

Took off the passenger chrome kick plates:
Chrome side pieces.jpg
I have mentioned in my other thread that I'm not a fan of chrome, and having removed these chrome pieces and cleaned the areas, rather like the look. To take these plates off used fishing line and heated the area with a heat gun just enough to warm the area. These plates are kept on with round stick pads:
Side Panel Chrome Kick Panel Removed.jpg
The round stick pads adhere very well. The right side was the first removal and the glue on the pads took off the clear coat as well:
Side Panel Damage - Clear Coat Removed.jpg
I attribute this to putting the plate on too soon after painting the panel. Know the panel was painted because the original Goldwing emblems were removed, holes filled, and I could see sandpaper scratch marks in the finish. Can see the emblem holes on the backside:
My intention is to replace the original Goldwing emblems, and replace the chrome pieces with a suitable replacement such as a vinyl, wrap, or a ceramic product.

I took my time to minimize any damage that I might do, but there is paint damage regardless:
Saddlebag Damage After Kick Panel Removed.jpg
Side Panel Damage - Clear Coat Damage.jpg
There is damage to the chrome trim and I will be looking into a possible replacement. May have to leave alone and accept what is there - not the end of the world.

There are only three emblems to be concerned with. The 20th anniversary logo on the trunk, SE (Special Edition) on left saddlebag, and HONDA on the right saddlebag:
1500 - 6.JPG
To take the SE and HONDA emblems off I used Goof Off to loosen the glue and warmed the emblems with the heat gun:
Goof Off.jpg
Goof Off works very well, highly recommended. The 20th anniversary logo will come off when I take the trunk apart. It is held on with glue and a small rivet attached.

I did a small repair to the left saddlebag lower corner. The screw hole was damaged:
Saddlebag Lower Corner Pice Screw Hole Damage.jpg
I used a hacksaw and gingerly removed the damaged end piece. I used a hole saw to make a new end piece:
Saddlebag Lower Corner Pice Screw Hole Repair Piece.jpg
Using ABS glue I replaced the end piece:
Saddlebag Lower Corner Pice Screw Hole Repaired.jpg
I will let it set and cure overnight before I install this corner piece.

Cheers

Have a lot of cracks in the top coat to fix. Thinking I'll use a dremel tool, "V" the cracks and fill with ABS cement. If the cracks aren't fixed will show through the new paint job. Here are a few of the cracks that need to be fixed:
Crack on Trunk.jpg
Crack on Saddlebag - 2.jpg
Crack on Saddlebag - 1.jpg
Will be going over the plastics and making a list.

Thinking about the panel edges that need to be sanded and painted, especially on the backside of the panel:
Thinking that I'll sand the edge both sides, clean - degrease, spray adhesive promoter, prime and paint with a gray paint - spray can. Just do the edges properly, then I can prep the good side and paint - won't be using the good stuff for the backside.

Nice sunny day today, so back into the garage and do more prep work.

Cracks on the trunk lid are from a PO installing the trunk rack, using it and not reinforcing the bolt area. One of the PO did see a problem and glued 1/8 inch pieces of ABS to the rear mounts:
Trunk Lid Reinforced.jpg
Should have done it to the front bolts as well. I think I will reinforce this area using 1/8 inch ABS.

It was a good day. Had a plan regarding what would be done when; however, started and didn't stop. I will mention that you really have to want to do this project, there are a lot of parts to take off and disassemble. Started around 1000 this morning and finished around 1900 (7:00 PM).

Sanded the two side panels because of the surface damage from the removal of the chrome kick plates. Like the result. Carried on and removed the side mirrors:
Side Mirror.jpg
Had to theorize how to take apart. The mirror plate has to be removed first. This is where a heat gun is your friend, softens the rubber holding the mirror in place:
Side Mirror 2.jpg
Tried gently without using heat, but not getting anywhere, so heat gun to the rescue. Be careful when prying the glass out as it will chip. This is the disassembled version:
Side Mirror 3.jpg

Hadn't planned on taking the bike apart and every part as well:
Bike Stripped 1.jpg
Bike Stripped 2.jpg
Bike is quite dirty, a little cleaning may be in oreder as well. Parts all over the place, will organize better tomorrow:
Parts Department 1.jpg
Parts Department 2.jpg

Will be spending the next three days, cleaning, repairing any issues, prepping for painting. The front fairing will still be the last item to be painted. Picking up the paint tomorrow. Project is progressing well. Cheers

Weather over the next two weeks is supposed to be in the 10 deg C range and we will be getting some rain. Working in a naturally aspirated, no heat garage, but will get it done. The ABS repairs are not substantial, and I'm finding ABS repair is quite easy but time consuming. If I don't address the cracks and such, the cracks will come back like a bad weed. I have a dremel sander with various tips that I intend to use to gouge out the cracks, fill with ABS cement, sand the part and paint. Have done one so far and looks good. Thinking that after painting I will have to let the parts sit for about a week before putting the bike back together. Have to let everything cure and harden before putting lights, chrome trim and such back on.

Still toying with the idea of painting the backsides of the parts. The reason for this is the finish on the backsides is very course and collects crap quite well. In for a penny, in for a pound so to speak.

Not in the plans to get rid of this bike, keeping it until one of us keels over. :whip: Met a fellow on a ride a couple of years ago before I bought the 1500, and he mentioned that if I were to get one, it would be the last bike I would own, not quite accurate, but pretty close. A great touring and two up ride this 1500.

The Gl1500 is well worth the effort to keep it looking young and running its' best. The most comfortable bike I ever owned. And they look good out on the interstate cruising or taking on the back road twisties.

Picked up the paint and supplies this morning. Took one of the panels I had already prepped and it was mentioned that there were some dips where I had to sand a bit more than the rest of the panel:
Side Panel Prepped.jpg
The spots that are sanded below the clear coat are spots where the adhesive pads from the chrome kick plates were attached to the panel. These spots are the ones that need to be filled a bit to smooth out the surface. Will be using a Dupli-Color white sandable primer to fill these spots:
Clear and sandable Primer.jpg
The other parts with blisters may require a bit of this as well. The Clear coat spray can by SEM in the photo is to protect the repaint of the blue plastics. Had a colour mixed that was much closer to the original, an acrylic water based colour that will need to be protected hence the clear coat spray. Time to head to the garage, clean up and start organizing the parts for prep work.

Did a bit more work, not a lot. Cleaned up the side panels, used the adhesion promoter, then 3 coats of the sandable primer:
Side Panels Primed.jpg
Did what I thought was one primer light/tack coat, then 2 good sprays, but can still see the underlying blemish. Since these panels were prepped for painting, will use 1000 dry to smooth, and these should be ready for paint.

Next on the list is the trunk lid. It had a good size crack where a PO had installed a trunk rack, used it and cracked the lid. I mentioned that an ABS sheet repair was done on the inside of the lid in this area:
Crack on Trunk.jpg
It's a long craack about 3 inches or so. I used the dremel to "V" the crack down to the ABS - through the gel caot. My thought is you have to get to the ABS to make a good repair:
Trunk Lid Crack - Gel Coat Removed.jpg
I removed additional material hoping to get a good repair. Applied the ABS and will let it set up overnight:
Trunk Lid Crack - ABS Cement Applied.jpg
The 20th anniversary emblem on the rear of the trunk lid came off nicely and I will be able to reuse. The trunk lid is first on the agenda for tomorrow's work. Clean and prep the entire lid for painting, wash with soap and water using Dawn dish soap, sand with 600/800 grit dry, then sand the crack, use some adhesion promoter in the crack area, then apply the sandable primer. May take a few extra coats over a couple of days to fill in the cracked area.

Cheers

I agree on getting down to the ABS. The ABS cement doesn't adhere well to paint. I also use the Oatey General Purpose Clear cleaner to slightly soften the existing ABS so the cement can weld better. Not much, and don't let it run as it will craze existing paint.

Agree. Thought about it for a bit before I decided to go through the gel coat. ABS for ABS, not ABS for paint/gel coat. I try to go a bit wider than the crack so that I get a good repair. Once the ABS has set up it does adhere enough to get a smooth exterior finish.

Thought about the edges of the panels. Will be sanding the inside of the edges, using the adhesive promoter on the sanded plastic then, a white spray just to make sure the edges are in good shape so that when I spray the exterior of the panel(s) the paint will adhere well to the edges, and the finish should be good.

Once I get the bike painted going to do the rims as well. Have a spare rear wheel to practice on. Do not like the anodized aluminum rims. Be able to visit and give the Hunley some competition! :hihihi: :mischief:

Going to let the ABS repairs sit for a couple of days. Have some little ones attended to. One of the securing holes for the side chrome was quite cracked:
Crack on Saddlebag - 1.jpg
Used the dremel and sanded a larger area and applied ABS cement:
Trunk rack hole fix.jpg
Thinking that it might be good to not only reinforce the area under the trunk rack, but the chrome trim screw holes as well. Going to go to the local fastener shop and ask what they have for shoulder bolts. If I can get some that will suit, I will add 1/8 inch thick ABS washers (will use hole saw to make) to the inside of the saddlebag and saddlebag lids.

The lower front panel has a dowel in the corner to locate the lower front cowling:
Front lower panel securing pin fix.jpg
This is the fix for the missing locating dowel. Drilled out the location, threaded in a screw and cut the head off the screw. Should work a treat.

Installed a USB connection in the rear left pocket, but cut too large a hole. This has bothered me for a while considering I did something stupid; however, decided to remedy this. Cut a round ABS piece to fit and have glued it in place. Once the ABS cement sets up will be able to drill the proper size hole:
Left rear pocket hole fix.jpg

Had to go out and get some finishing putty. Don't have a lot of area to cover, hopefully one tube will do:
Finishing Putty-Bondo.jpg

Getting at the little items is time consuming, but need to be done. I'm with Gerry on this aspect, lots of respect for those that do this for a living.

Have the saddlebags and trunk to look at tomorrow, then clean, sand, fill in the low points with finishing putty. Hopefully painting this weekend coming.

Looked at the cost of the project so far. Tools, supplies such as paint is running me about $750.00 CDN to date. Not bad for what I hope to be a good product. The tools will be with me for a long time. More to follow.

Had to do a run into my fastener place to determine if some shoulder screws, washers and such were available. Some were, but more research has to be done. Also picked up my early b'day present. Another spray gun, yes I know, overkill, but not spending money on restaurants and such so I can buy a couple of new tools. The Devilbiss FLG4, that has anodized internal passages that makes it a good gun for water based products. Will definitely be testing this one this weekend.

Now that my tool collection is finished, on with fixing, sanding, cleaning and getting to painting.

Took one of my panels in with an ABS repair and discussed the way ahead. I thought I knew the answer before I asked, and what we discussed made sense. With all the ABS repairs, I will be sanding the ABS repair, using adhesion promoter on the repair area and cover with the primer, probably two coats. Will fill with the finishing putty, sand and then do final preps for painting. The reason for all this is to ensure a good bond between all the different layers. The adhesion promoter ensure the coats of primer will adhere well, and the primer will ensure the finishing putty does as well. At this point it's into final prep and painting.

My friend had a custom paint job done on his Triumph Rocket. Really good job. Here are a couple of pics:
Tank 1.png
Front Fender 1.png
Saddlebag 1.png
Hoping to get very close to this finished product for a lot less cost.

Today is more repair and cleaning. Back to the garage.

Been agonizing over the chrome strip trim on the saddlebags, outer wheel fender:
Saddlebag Chrome Trim.jpg
This picture shows the trim as it wraps around the back of the bike. This 1/2 inch trim is held on with double sided tape. My initial thoughts were to tape the trim, but the trim is installed such that it is not easy in places to wrap any tape around the edges. Pondered over night and I think the best way to proceed is to remove this trim using heat - diligently, working with ABS - and fishing line. Also looking at a refresh of the chrome look. Lots of good products on the market that will accomplish this aim. Once the parts are painted be able to install with new 3M double sided tape of the same thickness.

I have used vasoline to cover chrome that I did not want painted pretty effectively. To bring real chrome back up to a shine, I use white vinegar and rumpled aluminum foil.

I've used coke and aluminum foil for real chrome - same results. The real issue with the plastic chrome strip is that it is not evenly spaced on each side of the strip. This concerns me with getting a good bond along the chrome strip, and not wanting to paint twice, the extra work will be beneficial.

Talked to my brother this morning and discussed the front fairing. Two choices, leave on or remove. I know I've mentioned leaving it on, but have to be extremely certain that all is masked off well, having to deal with securing bolts and such, as well as being a contortionist to get at some of the surfaces - I'll be taking it off.

Thought about saying the H#@! with it, and just put everything back together; however, I have sanded quite a few of the parts so, like Cortes in the new world, this ship's been burnt - no turning back. Motivation or what!! :whip:

Cheers

Another good day and one closer to getting to painting. Fixing blemishes, sanding, removing parts from the rear bags and truck - always something more to take off. Got the plastic chrome trim off the saddlebags and rear parts. Started by using the fishing wire with a bit of heat. Was taking forever. Came in and looked on the internet - lots of suitable alternatives. With this knowledge decided to not be so gentle. Used a screw driver to slide under the chrome trim:
Removing chrome trim.jpg
All trim removed quite quickly and with no damage, can reuse. Found 15 mm by 3 metres for approx $10.00 delivered - can't hurt to buy new at that price. Don't intend to install this trim for a while. Letting the new paint cure and harden well before any adhesive gets stuck to the new paint.

Been sanding and when I have sanded to the base ABS, I have used adhesion promoter and sprayed with 2 coats of sandable primer in prep for final sanding - very light sand - before painting. Tomorrow and Saturday will be finishing painting prep. Hope to do the blue trim on Sunday. Next week looks good for painting, let the parts sit for a week to cure and harden. Clean the bike while this is going on. Cleanest this bike will have been since it came out of the factory, may be the last time as well.