To plug or not to plug, Jerry is bummed

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerryinmich57

Reaction score
As you may know Stella got a flat on our last trip out last year so I bought a new Shinko rear tire over Winter and got it on.
A couple or weeks ago I went out for a ride everything went good.
Got ready to go out again the other day and both tires were down, I don't know yet what the problem is hope to check it out later.
I can go along with getting a new front tire but really do not want to replace the back tire again after just 30 miles.
so what do you think has anyone ever plugged the rear tire and been happy.
Jerry :fishin:

That sir is a personal choice call. If you are comfortable with the risk at your skill level. With both tires going flat I'd be checking the tire valves first. They may be leaking or perhaps a young mechanic is changing the air for you.

If you do it I would use one of those mushroom looking plugs that fit from the inside out, you need to remove the tire to repair it so you could think about replacing too, if it is near new or a expensive tire might consider. would use the plug from the outside for an emergency but only use the mushroom type for permanent.

i had NO luck with plugs of any kind on a shinko,as they flex too much, i did have great luck with removing the tire and using a high quality patch! 3 times on the rear tire and once on the front and they all lasted untill they were worn out.

The E3's I replaced still looked new but both of the rubber valve stems had failed(@ the rim) almost at the same time. Are you sure it's puncture damage?

~O~

Oh yeah, if you replace one or both tires yourself try the zip lock method.

I assume zip lock method holds beads of tire together to more easily position the bead in the deepest section of the wheel. To make installation a bit easier?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=151956#p151956:3by3ux87 said:
slabghost » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:25 am[/url]":3by3ux87]
I assume zip lock method holds beads of tire together to more easily position the bead in the deepest section of the wheel. To make installation a bit easier?
You are correct sir, no blades the tires go right over the edges of the rims.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=151953#p151953:2y5p638t said:
dan filipi » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:52 am[/url]":2y5p638t]
Agreed, only patches from inside I would trust. Too many times the plugs have leaked so only in an emergency.

That would be my recommendation also.

slabghost":3j7uw6gl said:
That sir is a personal choice call. If you are comfortable with the risk at your skill level. With both tires going flat I'd be checking the tire valves first. They may be leaking or perhaps a young mechanic is changing the air for you.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=151962#p151962:3j7uw6gl said:
Omega Man » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:05 pm[/url]":3j7uw6gl]
Other than mentioning a patch I see nothing about punctures I the first post.

Which is why I posted the above.

Ok so yesterday I aired both tires back and put her on the center stand and got the garden hose out and run some water over them and could not see any air leaks on either tire.
So I will recheck the pressure today and see if they are holding maybe it was a fluke with the valve stems.
Thanks for your opinions on this.
Jerry

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=151985#p151985:rs3tyv8h said:
jerryinmich57 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:23 am[/url]":rs3tyv8h]
Ok so yesterday I aired both tires back and put her on the center stand and got the garden hose out and run some water over them and could not see any air leaks on either tire.
So I will recheck the pressure today and see if they are holding maybe it was a fluke with the valve stems.
Jerry

Jerry, I went through this exact thing too but let me tell what happened to me. My back tire was losing air slowly and I noticed the valve stem was failing while airing up. I decided to let it go and one day I went for a cruise with Vegaswingnut at our destination my bike became almost unridable. I thought it was the road which was very bad but it turned out the front valve stem failed worse than the rear. We found this out at home. The front tire was barely holding air.

Tug on those valves stems in a circular motion, this should tell you if it's the valves. Oh and change the valves themselves too. If or when you replace the tires replace the valve stems with all metal, I used 90 degree nickel plated ones myself.

~O~

I have been reading up on my new to me Valk. and found this on one of the forums.
The Valkyrie is equipped with aluminum hollow cast wheels which do indeed bleed air pressure, especially when cold.
Pretty sure almost all our wheels are like this.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=151986#p151986:22ydfs62 said:
Omega Man » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:57 am[/url]":22ydfs62]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=151985#p151985:22ydfs62 said:
jerryinmich57 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:23 am[/url]":22ydfs62]
Jerry

Jerry, I went through this exact thing too but let me tell what happened to me. My back tire was losing air slowly and I noticed the valve stem was failing while airing up. I decided to let it go and one day I went for a cruise with Vegaswingnut at our destination my bike became almost unridable. I thought it was the road which was very bad but it turned out the front valve stem failed worse than the rear. We found this out at home. The front tire was barely holding air.

Tug on those valves stems in a circular motion, this should tell you if it's the valves. Oh and change the valves themselves too. If or when you replace the tires replace the valve stems with all metal, I used 90 degree nickel plated ones myself.

~O~

I will try to move the stems because part of me is concerned about another flat on a trip like last year(not fun)
I think I may just get the new front tire now and change the stems to the 90 degree one if I can find them
I hate the ones that are straight very hard to fill or get the gauge on.
Jerry

Check at Cycle Gear if you have one near you. They have a high dollar self Vulcanizing plug out now that's supposed to be only for cycles. It's an expensive damn thing . 15-20 bucks but supposed to be the shizzle! Haven't used one but for that money I'd like to think there is something to it.

I know this is a dated thread, but thought I would add when you are checking for leaks it is best to have a very soapy mixture of dish soap and water in a spray bottle. I have pulled wheels also and stuck them in a tank (bath tub work too)
With shinko have had issues on my lilsport bike them not beading up tight and leaking air at extreme temp changes. Might be a curse or might be a blessing that Winger has tubes, but I still use Shinko's and get great mileage out of them and only 2 issues out of maybe 10 set. But some of my issues made no sense untill using super soapy water and a spray bottle.

Jerry hope you got to wear thos tires out before or after plugging.