Gasket Removal

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

85goldwing

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what you guys are using for gasket removal? I have 85 1200I that i am putting a new water pump in. The gasket on the pump cover is adhered to the case like it was born there. I have tried a Permatex 80645 remover. i got this because i didn't want a spray that went everywhere. I also tried a 3M cleaner that didn't work as well. Back in the 80"s there was a spray on the would just about lift old gaskets off on contact. I suppose now with all the environmental issues, those kind of things are gone. Just makes me covet my remaining bottles of Yamaha carb cleaner.

A lot of times if you get under the gasket right at the metal with a scraper or razor blade, sections will come off but I know what you mean. I did a 1200 was a nightmare to get off.
I used CRC Tech Grade gasket remover, spray on. It took multiple coats, 4-5 coats i think.

Air scraper for me.... :whistling:
SE752K_ProductImage_PrimaryImage_400.jpg

I haven't had the need in years, but Ford used to have a product for removing gaskets that was amazing. Can't remember the name, or part number tho. The gaskets Ford used on transmissions were pretty well welded on to the cases and other parts once they had a few miles on them, and sometimes not even a scraper would scratch them. The remover stuff would work in less than an hour, and the gaskets would dang near fall off in one piece. I'll dig around and see can I find out what that stuff is....

Chances it's not made anymore, :roll: the E P A in their wisdom as so often have made such a mess of anything that works well!!!! :Awe: :rant:

on a related item, i have a ultrasonic cleaner that i am using to clean carbs. So far i have tried a commercial chemical to clean 2 of the carbs. The next 2 i am going to use Simple Green on and see if there is any difference.

Those cleaners work great with any of the basic stuff i've ever used, as well as the powder type cleaner that's sold for them. :good:

I just cleaned my carbs in an ultrasonic cleaner using only distilled water and about 1 oz of Dawn dishwashing detergent and the heat set for 160 degrees F.

From this:

image.php

to this:

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php