Detailing and Oil Leaks - Right Side

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertrefugee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know there are a few here who will laugh (Vince for one), but I'm not as obsessive about cleaning as you might think. I do a good deep detailing basically once at the beginning of the riding season - right about now here in Arizona. After that, it's pretty much just maintenance mode keeping bugs and major road grime off. This year, I've even gotten around to sealing up a few oozes that make keeping the ole '78 clean a bit of a chore.

Except one.

I realize now that, in addition to the shifter shaft seal that I just replaced, I have oil on the right side of the case down low. Since I'm a relative babe in the woods on the GL - having only been riding them about 8 years, I've not run into this one. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but could this pretty much only be the filter screen inspection plate?

If so, that really sucks. I have no desire to pull the motor just to replace a gasket - which oh by the way is no longer available. Have to make one! Anyway, if there's another possible source for this oil that I'm not aware of, would somebody please let me know?

Thanks!

Rt_Side_Leak.JPG

Prior to a good cleaning, take a close look at the oil/grime spot. Follow it forward and up and see if in fact it may be coming from higher up.

Thanks guys. Yeah, it's really only down real low. So low, I really didn't know it was there. (Remember the once a year deep clean). I had a lot of oil migrating to the bottom from the shifter seal and will be degreasing today. I'll pay close attention to see if I can pinpoint the source. I really suspect that screen cover, though.

Don't know if the 1000 has it there, but the 1100 has the neutral safety switch right there....forward of the oil screen cover. I can't see a leak at the screen cover blowing oil to the front...

You can clean the bottom of the bike?! I have cleaned only the parts I can see. The only time I see the bottom is in the spring when I change the oil & filter. Its filthy. I don't want to touch it and I figure there's only a leak if I have to add oil. :smilie_happy: