Read your plugs!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow some of those plugs look pretty bad... Hope mine dont look too bad... Sad to say i havnt checked mine yet and ive had the bike close to two years

The second link there is more for all-out, full throttle reads of the plugs. Not really much use for normal, street driving, imho. I can remember back in the day, we used a magnifying glass/jewler's loope to "read" the plugs...yeeesh. Toooooo hard core for me these days. :smilie_happy:

Thanks for the link, O-man! :mrgreen:

Otay, so I'm an idjit....I just saw Dan's original post with these links.... :read:

BigAndrew":1uwiij25 said:
Wow some of those plugs look pretty bad... Hope mine dont look too bad... Sad to say i havnt checked mine yet and ive had the bike close to two years

Some of the damaged plugs got that way from serious detonation (ping). You'd know it if your's were that bad.

Love it! The first link is realistic for plugs that have been in for tens of thousands of miles. Do not expect to see this between oil changes. Remeber, back in the day, Automotive engines were recommended to have a tune-up (plugs, condensor, points and check cap, rotor) at 30,000 miles. Then in the '80's came electronic ignition and the service interval went up... Nowadays, with platenum tips, they can go 100,000!