Should I trust 30 year-old tires?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kirkwilson

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 1980 GL110 STD with 7800 original miles that has been sitting for a while. It's always been garaged and the original Dunlop tires do not have any cracks or flat spots and hold air without leaking. They have plenty of tread. Can I trust these tires?

Definately not! Cracking on the outside is a sign of weather beating, but when the bike has been garage kept, it may not show those lines or cracks, but the rubber breaks down over time. It can be real dangerous to ride on old tires that have not experienced any real heat or pressure changes in a long time and they will not be as elastic! Remember, the nature of a rubber tire is to produce friction to keep you on the road. That same friction is what heats up the tire and you could experience a sudden blow out without warning with old tires. :crying:

Remember back when you were in your teens? Remember our motto at the time..."Don't trust anyone over 30"??? :nea:
They might be fine if all your going to do is push it around, but you certainly don't want to trust them with your(or anyone's) life. Tires are too cheap for that. You really should replace them... :yes:

An extreme analogy, perhaps, but an analogy nonetheless: say, you've been carrying around a rubber condom in your wallet for 30 years -- you gonna trust it?! :?: :shock:

oldhack62":1pwqcnfp said:
An extreme analogy, perhaps, but an analogy nonetheless: say, you've been carrying around a rubber condom in your wallet for 30 years -- you gonna trust it?! :?: :shock:

:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: Thats a good point :mrgreen:

oldhack62":3mnjmmfs said:
I guess I better change mine in case I get lucky. :shock: :oops: :smilie_happy:

Status
Not open for further replies.