Christmas in July? Val’s first overnighter to Glen Innes

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ansimp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 “Rats Nest”
1998 GL1500c Val
1987 CBR1000f “The Pig”
1991 CBR1000f Red
It has been just under 2 and 1/2 years since I had been on my last overnight run to Yamba and it was long overdue for another one. As Greg was turning 60 it was decided to have a couple of nights in the cold at a farm stay style accomodation near Glen Innes NSW. Unfortunately/fortunately it was midweek (tough for work, great for traffic) and the numbers didn’t live up to the available rooms ( we only took 3 out of the available 7) but I was going to make it even if it killed me. It also gave me a chance to ride the Gwydir Hwy again and I also convinced Greg to stop at the Lawrence Hotel which we had visited on the Yamba trip.
The commencement point was the Iron and Resin cafe on the Gold Coast where we were to meet up with the coast guys for our trip south.
To say that plans change was an understatement. The main couple from the coast could no longer travel due to a family friends severe illness and our other mate Brad had to go via Toowoomba (West) to organise palliative care for his ill father. As Greg and I travelled out of way through crazy roadworks on the main highway to get to the cafe it started to seem counterintuitive. Luckily Charles and his mate were going to ride with us and take us through some really good twisties on the way. As we had a late start it was fairly late when we arrived in Lismore (after 12pm) and the Gold Coast guys were already talking about heading home soon. Greg and I (also Greg’s partner Anne) would have to ride into the setting sun for the last part of our trip to Glen Innes which was not our original plan ( too many Skippys trying to get a lift at dusk).
Val in Uki where Greg was chasing air for a flat front tyre ( turned out it was steering head bearings).
We hotfooted it down to Lawrence for lunch ( electing not to have lunch with Charles and Derek in Lismore ( we had only just had breakfast at the cafe)) and arrived there just after 2pm when lunch stopped.

Luckily the ladies in the kitchen offered to do fish and chips with salad for us. It was just what we needed ( and a beer) to fuel us for the trip up the Gibraltar Range to Glen Innes.

Here we are at the Lookout.
Much better picture of the view the last time that we were here.
Greg didn’t want to stop but I wanted to get a picture in the same spot as the last time we rode up to Glen Innes. Only 3 cars passed us while I took some crappy photos ( at least I took some William! :smilie_happy: ).
Trying to ride with one hand as a sun visor and still trying to make sure that we didn’t pick up Skippy or his friends was pretty trying but we eventually made it to our accomodation in one piece.
Sorry for the crappy photo, it is out of focus.

Route maps

Back tyre has reached its use by date with this trip.
Trying to get to the edge on the twisties.