VJMC Ride to Canungra

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ansimp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 “Rats Nest”
1998 GL1500c Val
1987 CBR1000f “The Pig”
1991 CBR1000f Red
Maurice rang me to see if I was going on the club ride to the Cafe Metz in Canungra on Sunday (12th of August) as he had the day off. That was all the excuse that I needed and even though Ruth wasn’t keen ( “but you rode to Springwood on Saturday”) I managed to get a leave pass by agreeing to install a new water hose reel at her Mum’s house. We met up at the Wineglass BP service ( gas) station at Browns Plains ( Regents Park) at 0830 for a 0900 departure. It turned out that there were only five of us ( Aaron arrived late and met us in Canungra) and only Maurice and myself were actually riding Vintage ( also Aaron it turned out). Well as there wasn’t any official ride captain in place I nominated myself with out any serious planning or careful consideration of the job.
I hate riding late on Sundays (normally at 0900 we would already finished breakfast and ready to head home before the dreaded Sunday drivers are everywhere) so all my fluid route planning was about finding winding roads and avoiding as much traffic as possible. First hitch was almost sailing past my left hand turn that required all the Rats Nests brakes to negotiate “ safely”. The next incident was pulling out in front of a 4x4 which I thought had led Maurice into a near death experience ( he assured me it was all good :heat: ) and finally a couple of wrong turns ( including later into someone’s driveway) before we all arrived safely in Canungra.
Maurice got bailed up by some weird bloke :smilie_happy: and his son (Gary and Clayton) as he tried to dismount his Oldwing . It turns out that Gary is a VJMC member from Tambourine Mountain who rode down to meet up with us at the Cafe on his custom Oldwing.
Two handsome multiple GL1000 owners! :hihihi:

We also caught up with Aaron who had flogged his 125/175 to catch up with us at the Cafe Metz after arriving late at the BP and due to our circuitous route had now been waiting anxiously for us to finally arrive. We were now eight which was perfect as how packed the cafe was now that it was 1030. While we were all fawning over the immaculate job that Gary had done on his custom bobber GL1000 a bloke pulled up on a new (picked it up yesterday) Ducati Diablo Cruiser which we all then had to have a look at (and 20 questions). :smilie_happy:

Maurice had mentioned that he wanted to head down to Kirra on the Gold Coast and as I was heading to Robina we would both be able to chase some more curves on some more of my favourite tracks. Gary and Clayton said that they would ride down to the Clagiraba turnoff with us and then head up Henri Roberts Drive back to Gary’s place on Tambourine Mountain. I took Maurice on a U turn in someone’s driveway instead of the Clagiraba turnoff much to Gary and Clayton’s amusement who waited for us on the shoulder where we were supposed to turn. We said our goodbyes and made our way down to Robina were Maurice left me to head to Kirra.

As Maurice had Gary’s phone number and I had decided to ride home over Tambourine Mountain I rang Gary and invited myself to stop past and view his MBS in the flesh. I certainly wasn’t disappointed and Gary was a very gracious host who I hope that I will see much more of in the future.
Before heading to Gary’s I had stopped past my other mates place who owns a 92 GL1500 to say G’day as I was riding right by.
Here are a couple of snapshots from his street.
I certainly didn’t expect when I headed out this morning that by the time I would be back home and packed the bikes away it would be sunset.
At least the dog was happy to see me! :smilie_happy:
That tyre certainly fills up the dolly!

Wow! Just woke up and this is my first read of the day with coffee in hand. Nice trip, Tony. Excellent commentary and I agree with you totally. I'd have been fawning over Gary's cafe as well. That is an outstanding paint job. Sounds like you gents had a really good outing.

...remind me not to let you captain our next ride. :roll:

<EDIT:> Wait! There's more! Enviable collection Gary has, too! As well as a million mile view of the coast! Good stuff, Tony. Thanks for another wonderful glimpse of a piece of Oz. Soon, we'll be seeing your cross-country photos and shots of Val in Alice Springs...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=205378#p205378:388io83r said:
desertrefugee » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:38 am[/url]":388io83r]
Wow! Just woke up and this is my first read of the day with coffee in hand. Nice trip, Tony. Excellent commentary and I agree with you totally. I'd have been fawning over Gary's cafe as well. That is an outstanding paint job. Sounds like you gents had a really good outing.

I insist Darrell, isn’t that the guest’s prerogative! :smilie_happy:
Seriously I hope that in the future I can get the chance to ride with more members from CGW especially in the States. :yes:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=205378#p205378:3k0maf1b said:
desertrefugee » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:38 am[/url]":3k0maf1b]

<EDIT:> Wait! There's more! Enviable collection Gary has, too! As well as a million mile view of the coast! Good stuff, Tony. Thanks for another wonderful glimpse of a piece of Oz. Soon, we'll be seeing your cross-country photos and shots of Val in Alice Springs...
:good:
Don’t laugh Darrell, my mates are gearing up to head up to the Cape on all light weight adventure bikes ( SWM 650, BMW 800 etc) next year and I would love to take the Rats Nest just to show them how to do it in style. The only problem is I couldn’t abandon her if I broke her and it could cost more than 10 Rats Nests to bring her back home. Maybe the 87 Aspencade could be built as a naked adventure bike with panniers for the trip as I am not emotionally attached. I have also thought about a CBR1000f version as well. :whistling:

Very nice report Tony. I'd feel right at home with you making wrong turns and U's, seems like every ride I get with a group it becomes SOP. Part of the adventure, right?

An excellent day all round.
Bit hard to keep up with Tony at times
....haha.. but a great ride and plenty of
bikes to look at along the way.
Just wish i had more time , but only having the one day off, makes it hard.
Great day Tony. M.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=205388#p205388:2jgzgkvf said:
aussiegold » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:47 pm[/url]":2jgzgkvf]
An excellent day all round.
Bit hard to keep up with Tony at times
....haha.. but a great ride and plenty of
bikes to look at along the way.
Just wish i had more time , but only having the one day off, makes it hard.
Great day Tony. M.

Hopefully we will get some more chances to explore even more of the great riding tracks close by here in SE Qld and Northern NSW once you have finished with your current work commitments. :yes: :moped: :salute:

I've taken my share of wrong turns, but it always turned out to be an adventure. Wrong turns are only wrong if you have a specific time to be at a specific place. I figger, if the rode is there, someone put it there so that I can ride it and see where it goes!