Rear Tire - Maybe trying the Shinko 230?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgovern61

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Former '82 GL1100 "The Slug"
My rear tire has nearly 13,000 miles on it and last weekend after returning from my Florida trip, I found the tire completely flat while connected to the trailer I have. It is a Bridgestone S11 and I have had really good luck with these tires. I filled the tire with air and surprisingly, it is holding air? :headscratch:

The rubber is worn down to the wear bars so I am going to replace it. But, boy, the price of the S11's has skyrocketed! :shock:

Cheapest I saw one is $135. (Not bad, but I usually have only paid less than $80 with shipping for an S11.)

Read up on all the tire threads and it looks like the Shinko 230 is the next best thing? Average price of $77 shipped is looking pretty good to me. I do not know if mixing brands from front to back is going to be an issue? The front S11 has a long way to go before replacement.

Opinions?

I would also be curious if anyone has installed a right angle valve in the rim? That straight valve is a real pain to get an air hose on. I am under the opinion that maybe the tire lost air because I was checking the tire pressure in NC and had to pull that valve stem way over to get my gauge on it. Maybe I pulled a bit too far?

I am running these and liking them Gerry
As much as I love the Shinkos you won't get the same kind of mileage as your Bridgestones but I believe that the faster wearing compound also makes for a great wet weather and handling tire.

the problem might be that the bridgestone doesn't have a high enough weight rating for your wing and the load it is carrying. when I first got my 1200 wing it needed tires so bad that the tires had bubbles, I got a Dunlop 404 for the rear ( planned on getting one for the front too ) but it was near the end of riding season so I rode it for three weeks ( not many miles were ridden ) by the time my riding season ended a friend asked what tires I bought and when I told him he told me the 404's didn't have a high enough weight rating for a fully loaded wing so the following spring I got a new set of Dunlop e3's. I'm not trying to sell you e3's but I am trying to get you to check the rating of the tiresyou use

Now that my valve stem split and popped off, I am kinda required to pull the back wheel. (Darn, because the hole was plugged and holding air!) :whip:

Back to my tire search and would like opinions on the Dunlap 404. It has the same speed and load rating as the S11.

Also, anybody ever use a Kenda tire?

Ansimp":2suxpanq said:
As much as I love the Shinkos you won't get the same kind of mileage as your Bridgestones but I believe that the faster wearing compound also makes for a great wet weather and handling tire.
Where did you find these valves?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=154079#p154079:1h1tb63q said:
Dusterdude » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:39 am[/url]":1h1tb63q]
Ansimp":1h1tb63q said:
Where did you find these valves?

viewtopic.php?p=154077#p154077

" Back to my tire search and would like opinions on the Dunlap 404. It has the same speed and load rating as the S11."
so if a 404 doesn't have a high enough load rating for a fully loaded wing the bridgestoe tire won't either

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=154091#p154091:e08wpo6j said:
detdrbuzzard » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:37 pm[/url]":e08wpo6j]
" Back to my tire search and would like opinions on the Dunlap 404. It has the same speed and load rating as the S11."
so if a 404 doesn't have a high enough load rating for a fully loaded wing the bridgestoe tire won't either
They both have the same load and speed rating. I am looking for opinions from anyone that has maybe used the 404 on the rear and their experience. It is nearly $30 less than a Bridgestone, but I am not sure about performance.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=154112#p154112:3bcn9nnl said:
Omega Man » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:38 pm[/url]":3bcn9nnl]
I did, it/they didn't wear as well and I never trusted that rear tire in turns. The S11's would still be my choice for my 1100.

~O~
Thanks ~O~! Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get the $133 S11. This might be the last I can since Bridgestone stopped making the 140/90-16 rear.

Gerry, I've had 3 404s on the rear of mine, including the one it had on it when I bought it. That one developed a huge bulge on it after 2 years of me riding, but still had massive tread left. Don't know how old it was, but the PO did say it had been changed. The other two dint last near as long, both of them were slick about 4500/5000 miles. They just don't make them like they used to... :nea:

I bit the bullet and went for the Bridgestone S11. I had the dealer install and balance it for me while my daughter take a look around the Dealership and tried on a few bikes!

That Bridgestone S11 is an awesome tire. Shame the 140/90-16 is now officially discontinued by Bridgestone. I am happy camper though, the tire looks great and feels great! :yes:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=154551#p154551:2botk33u said:
slabghost » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:40 pm[/url]":2botk33u]
New tires are nice. I've got just @ 100 miles on my Shinko Journey tires. So far I'm liking them.
I will be interested to know how these compare to my A230s. Seems like they may produce higher milage but knowing how I ride the 230's V rating maybe more important for me :yes:

Well, in my maintenance log spreadsheet, I had to reset for my rear tire back to 0 miles and put in another reminder to be prepared to replace it at 12,000 miles. :hihihi: