Shinko 230 Tourmaster performance reports

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backlander

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A place to post your observations, opinions on your personal use of the Shinko 230 Tourmaster tires. Please keep it factual so others may draw their on conclusions and include as much info on the type of roads, loads carried, average speeds, temperatures, air pressure and such.

(Thread made a sticky in the "Tires" forum, df)

I'll go first I guess. I purchased my 86-1200 on April 4, 2011 and it came with a Shinko 230 Tourmaster on the rear. I talked to the PO about the tires and he stated that he had the rear tire put on when he bought the bike from original owner and since then had put a hair over 5000 miles on it. During the next year and half I put 10,980 some odd miles on the tire. That is around 16000 miles on the Shinko and it still has 3/32 tread depth in the center groove. A new Shinko has 10/32 depth in the center. Only one trip of 150 miles each way, only one two up for approximately 20 mile ride, rode in one of the hottest summers and warmest winters for that year and half. I guess I'm and all around rider, sometimes aggressive mostly calm, cruising around 65 mph enjoying the scenery. I am prone to some excessive acceleration from time to time. The two times I was caught in rain it performed well. I run 40 psi and check the tire pressure at least weekly. As far as loaded weight, normal Aspy weight plus my 300 pounds and maybe 10 pounds of tools and spare parts in saddlebags. As for me, I think their a great tire for the money. I think it held up well as most of my riding included a lot of stop and go driving and 90 degree turns on city streets, rural two lanes and some divided four lane.

Great idea Mike! We should create a standard format that everyone can use consistently for each tire type we all have experience with and then have a section under "tires" with each manufacturer!

I put my 230 shinko's on just after the meet. I've got a bit over 600 miles on them now and just lost lost the little whiskers on about 1 1/2" of the middle of the tires. I don't baby my bikes nor do I avoid leaning. I drive and ride aggressively but within reason. I fully intend to put the 230 tourmasters on my dresser build as well. :good: :moped:

Prior to riding out to Joe's place I had the Shinko 712 on the front and was happy with it except for the whistling sound that it had and then I picked up a nail with two weeks to go. I bought the 230 and had it shipped to my house for $68.00 from Motorcycle Superstore. I mounted it and installed dyna beads and took it for a test ride and instantly realized that this tire does NOT have the whistle installed. My initial opinion was: no complaints. I have the air pressure at 41 PSI and check it once a week.

On the trip out to Joe's, Gerry and I started out on semi wet roads (well actually Gerry started in a swamp, but I was lucky) and I never felt any looseness in the front end. We traveled anywhere between 70 - 80 mph on the freeways and the front end was rock steady. I kept checking the tread to see if there were any problems and never saw any. For a short while, we rode on some mountain roads through PA and WV and again, no problems with the tire's traction and that was while the bike was loaded with about 250 pounds of camping/traveling crap. The same thing can be said about riding around Indiana without the extra weight: no complaints.

I now have about 2,500 miles on that tire and I cannot really see any difference in the tread depth (I do not have a tread depth gauge, but will be getting one to keep track of it). The whiskers on the outer edge of the tire are just starting to wear off, and I am not afraid of dragging the floorboards so I am using all of the tread pattern. My current opinion of this tire matches my initial opinion: no complaints.

As I have stated in other threads, I am soon going to be looking at a new rear tire. Since adding the new to me bags and trunk on the back, I am just too heavy for the 712 tire, but I think I know what tire I am going with.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93614#p93614:n8z0hpdd said:
brianinpa » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:06 am[/url]":n8z0hpdd]
The whiskers on the outer edge of the tire are just starting to wear off, and I am not afraid of dragging the floorboards so I am using all of the tread pattern.

I am obviously doing something wrong! I still have the whiskers on both the front and back tires even after more than 17,000 miles on that front tire!! :moped:

Hi all I just put the 230 tourmasters on the 82 not many miles on them yet. Trip to Joe's and a couple 70 mile round trips and riding around town. Running 35 in front and 40 on rear. Just normal riding mostly straight roads and mostly hiway use 60 mph or so. I like them. On 80 I have brigestones S11's but it's not apple to apple, with sidecar and sometimes pulling the trailer. And sometimes 3 up with a full load (over loaded) .There is approx. 1/2" toe in from back to front tiers. Front tier is doing real good but back tier is showing a lot of wear. Had them on about 11/2 years about 4000 miles on them. Jerry

I'm concidering a shinko for my rear but how does it do on lines, does it track them?
I ran a Pirelli on the front which had a straight line groove in the tread I think is what made them track lines real bad, almost dangerous on uneven pavement. The shinkos have a staggered line so maybe that breaks it from tracking?

My first experience with the Shinko on rear only was no tracking from rear but squirely on front tire as it was a straight groove Maxxis, terrrible tire, hated it. I have about 300 miles on this set of Shinko's and I haven't experienced any tracking problems, solid as a rock. We have a lot of rutted asphalt two lanes due to this being timber/logging country and so far no problems with that either.

With the 230 on the front I have been across steal grate bridges and also rain grooved concrete freeways and have not had any problems with the tire trying to track any lines.

Last weekend I installed new Shinko 230 Tourmasters on my 89 Venture Royale, but we then had some serious rain all week, prior to that were some very old Metzelers on the bike and I was riding in occasional rain with them, forecast is clearing weather up here in Alaska the next week, temps for a high of lower 60's so I am looking forwards to see how they feel as well, they balanced wonderfully, I ran 36fr 38 in the rear, may adjust the rear higher to 42. Shinko does not specify proper tire pressures so its up to us to evaluate the magic numbers and very soon I will get another set of the same Tourmasters for the 85 Interstate I picked up today. They do have a decent load rating I noticed. Not quite as high as the 880 Metzeler nor are they radial. From other reports many have found the tire a joy to ride on and some others say they are very sticky and have worn down fairly quickly, some swear by the Dunlop Elite 3 for the big touring bikes like the Goldwings and Ventures.

Unfortunately I have to estimate the mileage but it would be very close to 5000 miles give or take a 100 miles. Rear tire shows 3mm centre tread depth and front tire is 5mm. I don't have a tire tread depth gauge just a toothpick and a ruler and I really feel that the front looks hardly worn. I don't see too much life in the rear but if it was in dry conditions without abuse ( fat chance with me) it could see another 4000 miles. The first time it slipped in the wet or picked up a puncture I would be replacing it. If the Rats Nest makes it back to Oz the first thing I would do is put on a new rear tire.

I rode my 89 VR home last night, installed brand new Shinko 230 Tourmasters last weekend and then we had 5 straight days of rain, so no chance to scrub tires. Sun was out with some gathering thunderheads to the north, I was riding west.
Got just out of town when traveling up over a railroad overpass it started to rain, hardly any clouds above me, it was blowing sideways from the north, so any way here I am in a sudden downpour, I'm practically riding blind, got traffic behind me on a busy two lane hiway, I made it up to a gas station and took temporary refuge. rain passed away within minutes.

My first impression was that they handled remarkably well considering they were brand new and they still have their whiskers. I was running 36/38 tire pressure, front felt very well straight even on wet tar snakes, back only at one point felt a bit greasy when making a curve, in my blindness to get off highway I got on the brakes hard and they pulled me down very very well, better than any tire I have felt before and I had to make a slow sharp turn to avoid a guardrail in standing water and they just sliced right through.

A bit of a butt pucker factor with a bit too much bravado on my part to get back on my bike, so I do NOT recommend another person to do what I did, I was lucky, scrub the tires well before riding in wet weather. On the 85 GL1200 I will be yanking those Dunlops off and putting the exact same Shinkos on it as well, very nice tire for me who occasionally commutes, rarely two up, may get wet weather and needs an affordable tire with forgiving performance, I do not care at all about mileage, I have a 2009 Star XVS1300A and it has less than 1800 miles on it since I bought it brand new.

Then it is now confirmed they are a great wet weather tires which I had thought from my little ride in the wet. I can't speak more highly of these tires, once again thank you Mike/ Backlander :thanks:

Your welcome Tony, I measured my new front Shinko (250 miles on it) with a depth gauge and it measured out 5mm in the center groove, I forgot to post that earlier. I think it will take a little while to get a true picture of the tire's abilities. The differences between your trip and my local running are significantly different. Hope everyone continues to supply reports on their use of the tire. :thanks:

Just rode home again, rear tire a bit warmer than the front, will raise air pressure to 40 tomorrow. Either I had an air loss or 38 is too low for my venture and my 220 pounds. Flt a little mushy on the dry pavement.