Seat pan clearance

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elderarrows

Reaction score
So I cut the rear frame seat bump so as to allow a flatter custom seat pan on my 81 gl1100.

I would like to swap out the stock air shocks due to age and to remove the pesky air hoses as well.

Finally this bike will be ridden solo and 2up.

What would some good and inexpensive option for me to bolt on?

Thanks gents.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Forgive my ignorance. Are most shocks these days adjustable? And does adjustable typically mean just stiffness, just travel, or both? The rear tire clearance is not what is used to be before this frame mod.

Most adjustable shocks adjust the spring plate mounting point so that you effectively compress the spring more increasing stiffness and some ride height if they weren't set correctly.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=155879#p155879:ffgdf7rz said:
elderarrows » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:35 pm[/url]":ffgdf7rz]
Forgive my ignorance. Are most shocks these days adjustable? And does adjustable typically mean just stiffness, just travel, or both? The rear tire clearance is not what is used to be before this frame mod.

I believe most aftermarkets are about 1/4 to 1/2 inch taller, some even an inch, best to measure what you need then choose a shock that fits your custom needs..If you have a piece of steel you can drill it at 12" 12-1/2 then 13" and see what works to clear the tire, you wont need to ride it with the steel so just one side would work, just shim it so it is tight when bolted down.
Remember they will compress some depending on weight of rider and type of riding.

Those shocks I got are a progressive type of shock and are working out fantastic! I have lowered the adjustment to the lightest setting and the bike is riding on a cloud! For me, it was worth $139! :clapping:

image.php

image.php

As u can see the rear tire wheel well has substantially less clearance than stock. How do I know what "bottomed out" is for new shocks? For example... A 12 inch shock is no longer 12 inches when fully compressed. Do shock specs say how much travel will occur?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1439435060653.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1439435060653.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 719
Most shocks that I've seen have 3" or less travel. Front forks are shocks and they may have 4". Maybe a little more.

You have to make sure that the Progressives are Metric and not Standard measurements, so those would most likely be too loose on the mounting post of the final drive and cause some SERIOUS damage.

You need the 412-4222C model #.

Another possibility... Progressive has replaced the rubber bushing and metal insert with a urethane bushing. You may want to contact Progressive and see if the have a urethane bushing that will convert a standard shock to a metric bike.