Madstad Windshields

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westgl

Reaction score
I like the Memphis shades quick disconnect windshields on or off in less than one minute & no tools, I have one on my C109R that bike is a beast, in 10 seconds I can go naked.

I may do one of their Bat wings or one of their Memphis Slim, The absolute BEST windshield i have ever tried, is the Madstad Engineering windshield System, Nothing even comes close. This is a really well engineered system

https://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.6459/.f

What makes the Madstad windshield system so much different it that the windshield has a section under the windshield that catches air, this air travels closely up against the inside of the shield at the same speed as the air that travels on the front side of the windshield.

The Air on the inside of the windshield as it leaves the top of the windshield it pushes UP and against the air that was traveling up the front of the windshield,

What this does is make the air travel up much higher than the height of the windshield, and causes things like Bugs, dirt & debre, even rain, to go much higher and over the top of your head, even with a much shorter windshield,

With this set up, the windshield olny has to be as high as your lower chin to lip area.

Another benefit is, the air is SOOO MUCH SMOOTHER!!!!!!! no swirling, no vacuum behind the screen, and it is Very quiet!!!!, it reduces the wind noise dramatically, I noticed engine and bike noises that i had never noticed before.

It has a bracket system that allows you to adjust the windshield Lower or higher and Tilt screen at the top & bottom, to get it just right.
With these you do not need a vent at all, because you dont get the Heat from the bike/engine swirling behind the shield

I have tried many other windshields

Yea they are excellent, they are VERY functional, as opposed to the cool looking factor, it would not be that difficult to build one.

It would be fairly easy to do one on a Stock Fairing or a batwing fairing
Do a Bracket with the correct angle would that a little thought

Verrrrrrry interesting! Kinda looks like there is a deflector on the back side of the windshield that is holding the brackets. Is that correct?

mcgovern61,

Yes that alum. plate (could be plexi or another shield plastic) is the lower section that catches the air (kind of like a air scoop), and directs the air up the back side of the shield, that air is at a constant,(same speed as air over the top of the shield) moving up the back of the shield, Hugging against the shield, staying up against the shield and Driving all air under and over the shield up about a foot or more over the top of the shield and smoothing out the air flow so much so that the wind noise is greatly reduced and turbulence is also greatly reduced.

The other part is the Robo Brackets, these brackets were also a very well designed part of this system, they let you adjust the shield height, and the shield Tilt angle at the top and the bottom of the shield, angle should be approx 45 degree pitch, at a height of about your lower lip to the middle of your chin.

The fact that you have a smaller shield on the front of the bike makes it feel like less wind resistance and mike bike feels like more power, AND More coverage, Meaning it feals like you have a LARGER windshield on the bike.

All the benefits, without any of the draw backs.

This goes against what I new was right, My new shield height is even with my lower lip, Yet this shield provides more coverage than my much larger shields.

I used to believe that the shield had to be either even with the point of my nose or I had to look through it to be comfortable.

The angle and height needs to be adjusted based on a 45 degree angle and lower lip height, this took me about a half hour of ridding stop adjust, then ride stop adjust.

There is about 6" of range on height adjustment, with those brackets.

I have a Batwing and thought about making one of these for my 83' GL1100 and putting the saddle bags back on, But No trunk, to have a fuller lower look

Attachments

• P1010815 Comp 358k.jpg
    P1010815 Comp 358k.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 802
  • P1010811 Comp 103k.jpg
    P1010811 Comp 103k.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 799
I have a c109R Big cruiser bike that has a large shield on it and i get so much wind noise and buffeting it is not a good ride, i don't enjoy it.

It is surprising how much a shield slows down a bike if it is Not built to be areo dynamic, it's like riding the brake slightly,

The Madstad system is like max efficiency

But this bike is so much better with this new Madstad shield, it converted this bike from Not acceptable into a Great comfortable ride, Thing is i did not realize how much better this ride could be till after it was done

I have No affiliation with Madstad Engineering just really taken by this product

looks like it will be noisy on the highway - are they warrantied against future noise (curious about the brackets loosening)? And are they DOT listed?

1060dsl

You would think it would be noisy by looking at it right!! Air under the shield and you would think it would be more air to buffet you around right!

This is NOT the case, Exactly the opposite, it quiets it down considerably, by smoothing out the air stream so much that the sound is greatly reduced, even my passenger (the Wife) said it was much better for her too, meaning smoother air less turbulence and buffeting and less noise.

My bike was so much more quiet as far as wind noise was concerned, that i could here bike/engine noises that i had never heard before, I only ride with a helmet on so comparison was both with helmet on

The ride is quiet and smoother

I was riding 85mph very smooth and quiet

Another Nice benefit

Before with a standard shield I would get swirling air behind the windshield this would trap and keep swirling dirt & dust & engine heat behind the shield for me to breath while riding.

After; with the Madstad shield

There is No more Vacuum behind the shield, all the road dirt & heat blow up and out

It is really much more comfortable

Like I said this is a really well engineered product.

I cleaned all hardware & threaded holes, & put blue lock-tite, I have not had it loosen up, since i installed it. I installed mine early last season.

They are quality shields and brackets

Sorry did not want to steal the post,

After I installed the new Madstad shield,

I put my hand at the top of the shield(while riding) you could feel the air from the inside of the shield blowing/pushing the air from the front of the shield up over the top of my helmet.

You don't get the air from behind the shield hitting you it actually stays right up against the inside of the shield and blows up the inside of the shield,
I am not sure how far back from the inside of the shield the air comes back but i never felt it

Like I said this works the same at any speed, I have ridden my bike at, and up to 85mph I usually do not go any faster than that, as I dont like tickets.

It seems like the bike is faster, maybe less drag on the bike, i never checked my gas mileage.

That's all I got to say about that

Omega Man":1v3qlpu4 said:
Nice shield but @ $289 bucks I'd have better luck finding a diamond in a goat's butt than getting the wife to approve this acquisition.

~O~
True, but it looks like they will sell the brackets only using your current windshield and your own aluminum shield.