Mirror, Mirror, on the ground...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
I need some new ones,
As I stomp around... :head bang: :Awe: :sensored:

There was a thread in the "old days", before the "crash", regarding the quality, or lack of, different brands of mirrors for Goldwings. I do remember that JCW was mentioned as being "not so good".

I gotta get some new mirrors for mine now, since I've managed to break both of them, and I'm tired of trying to get them fixed well enough to last more than a day or so before having to take them off and re-tighten them.
So, the question is, is it better to go with Honda mirrors, if available, or are there aftermarket ones that will bolt on, and not fall apart on every freekin bump in the road? :?:

I have JCW mirrors on mine and happy with them.
I did have to crank the center screw down tighter one time but that's because in my garage they get bumped around when we walk by the bike but they do stay put where they're set pretty good.

I bought some emgo mirrors.. the seemed fine.. but I saw them mounted differntly so I mounted mine that way, they stay much better IMHO

I turned the base around so that the mirrors came out from the top instead of out twards the front.
dont know if that makes any sense, but my old mirrors would constantly droop I have to keep adjusting them.. even after I packed the ball and socket with rubber.. still would not stay up. so after turning the mounts over they would stay put..
then I bought the new ones and mounted them the same way.
now when I take the cover off I might have to adjust once... maybe after the mile of dirt road might have to touch them.. but barring any huge potholes... I'm good for the duration of the ride.
my emgo's we not bad priced either...

I replaced mine with aftermarket a couple years ago,but they didnt have the crown or curve to them and did not show as much as the stock ones.I eventually found a nice set of stock mirrors on EBAY and like the much better than aftermarket.

So..it doesn't appear that one brand is better than any other. Ones I've seen on flea-bay are in the $30-$40 range for used ones. One set is advertised as "The paint is still good....". Paint?!? :headscratch:

I'll start shoppin...Thanks for the info. :good:

Tanx, Joe! Not lookin to spend a fortune right now, but I'll certainly pay for some good ones!

Thanx, Tim! :yes:
I found these @ JCW...on Sale for $15.61/pair! I might just go for these, and see how they look, and if they'll hold an adjustment....
I found a local salvage place that has some OE ones, for $20 each. I haven't gone to see how they look...they may be crap...

I went and ordered the ones from JCW...I figure if they don't work out, I'm not out a lot-o cash, so I can go ahead and "splurge" on the OE ones. They should be here by the end of the week...I hope. :beg:

I bought EMGO and I hate them. The originals are a little convex so I have a decent view off to my side. I really like them. But the EMGO ones I got are flat glass and it's like trying to look at traffic through a keyhole three feet away. They suck! Then I read on a website someplace where they sell mirrors they said the convex ones are not legal anymore. Is that true? If so then I think I'll just adjust the original and epoxy that sucker in place.

I've also read that the "convex" mirrors were supposedly "illegal"...don't know if it's true or not. My actual glass is still fine....it's the danged bases that are messed up. If my new ones have different("flat") glass, I'll certainly be swapping the glass to the new bases. I gotta be able to see what's fixin to hit me from behind... :rant:

Got my new JCW mirrors today! I'm a little disappointed... :crying: The mirror glass is pretty distorted.. :sensored:
If you look with just one eye, it's fine, but with both eyes open the images you see in them are like seeing double vision. Whazzup wid dat? :Awe: :swoon:
Then again, what could I really expect for $15 a pair, eh? Imma tinkin I may take the glass out of my originals, and swap them into the new bases. I'm gonna assume that the glass is held in with some sort of silicon, or other substance?

I don't think I can ride with the distortion in these things, unless I take up drinkin to excess again, which ain't happenin. :smilie_happy:

I could wear an eye patch, too....I'd eventually get used to that.... :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

I haven't installed them on the bike yet. I'll do that tomorrow, and see how it looks on the road. Just holding them out at arms length, the image is fairly distorted. This was one of the comments that was on the JCW site about these mirrors, so it's prolly just one of them thangs. I'll swap the glass iffin I has to. :builder:

AApple":ey0fmmgr said:
I'll swap the glass iffin I has to. :builder:

How can I swap the glass without breaking anything? This would be the way for me to go, but I don't know how it comes apart. So I tried swapping the base but that didn't fix the problem. I think the round part at the stem is worn out. It would sure be nice to just switch the glass over to the new mirror, but I'm scared I'll bust it. :crying: