painting engine

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glasshead

Reaction score
I have an 83 interstate. The chrome is coming off the valve covers and some of the other aluminum is a little 'spoty'. I like the polishing look, but am curious if there is any paint that will stay on the engine?

rich

I used Rustoleum black with metal flake on my valve covers and timing belt covers. Looks really good.

I was considering the "metal paint" avaialable @ walmonster and other retailers, spray over chrome or bare metal and appears anodized or candied. I was gonna try it on my timing covers over the winter. I will post pictures of the process.

Gerry

What kind of paint did you use? Does it come in brush on? I want to paint the engine on the bike. I don't know if that can be done without a mess with a spray can.

rich

glasshead":xac3dw9r said:
Gerry, What kind of paint did you use? Does it come in brush on? I want to paint the engine on the bike. I don't know if that can be done without a mess with a spray can. rich
Rich,

I used duplicolor engine enamal (DE 1615 Aluminum) from Pep Boys. Of course, I had the advantage of having the engine out (which really isn't that hard to do). You can paint the engine on the bike by taping up anything you don't want painted. I would remove the carbs.

I cleaned the engine with Gunk SCII which is a concentrate that you mix with diesel fuel or kerosene. After scrubbing real well, it washes off with water and the surface is ready to paint. I then wired brushed any loose areas and especially the chrome bolt heads. Then I used vasoline to cover the chrome bolts head prior to painting.

The Duplicolor paint is almost identical to the original engine paint. I sprayed two coats and while the second coat was tacky, I sprayed duplicolor high heat clear coat. After the engine was run, it baked the paint real well and it still looks like I painted it yesterday.