LOGIN  
Welcome to Classicgoldwings Chat Live Chat:   >   It is currently August 14th, 2018, 12:49 am
Who Is Online: Ohara ....1 guest(s) viewing this forum
Jump to:  

Portal » Forums » Resources » Goldwing and other M/C Links. Member Recommended Suppliers and Parts » Paint and Polish

Welcome to Classic Goldwings!
You are now viewing the forums as a guest which has very limited access to the forums.

Post subject: Re: Painting your Bike
Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#16  Unread postPosted: January 25th, 2010, 5:54 pm

Global Moderator
Site supporter
knocker

Total Posts: 9614
Active Topics: 298

Total Images: 1070
Local time: August 14th, 2018, 3:49 am
My Bike Models: Restored '82 Standard GL1100 (with '83 engine) Hondaline bags.
'81 GL1100 - Gave up the ghost to give life to the '82!
1st bike '81 Suzuki GN400

Profile Personal album

My YouTube Channel
This is all good news for me! I mastered it pretty good with latex. I painted the bike with rattle cans last time and initially it didn't look too bad. But now it isn't looking too good.

I am looking forward to the posts about how to paint. I know a few basics, but have not learned anything about what paint to use or how to properly paint.

I recently repainted my transplant '83 engine with rattle can engine paint and it still looks wet! A trick someone else shared about painting engines was to spray on the high temp clear coat while the paint was still tacky. It is hard as a rock now and looks like an ice skating rink finish! (Of course the engine hasn't been run yet, so the jury is still out.)

Gerry <///><

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#17  Unread postPosted: January 25th, 2010, 6:16 pm

Site supporter
knocker
C5 Club
Single Carb Club

Total Posts: 20782
Active Topics: 825

Total Images: 4096
Local time: August 14th, 2018, 12:49 am
My Bike Models: 1983 Interstate with '84 1200 engine, Solex single carb, and C5 ignition.
2016 KLR 650
2018 Ducati V4S
My Bike Logs forum link: viewforum.php?f=122

Profile Personal album

My YouTube Channel
Great information here!

I moved the topic to Goldwing Tips and Tricks and made it a sticky.

PLEASE! Use your Gallery album for saving pictures instead of using attachments or picture sharing sites, especially technical reference pics. This will make sure your images will ALWAYS be in your post and the discussion thread will make sense!
Go HERE and learn how to use the Gallery.

Image Image ImageClick to order CGW Stuff

If you know someone can embroider our 3" patch, let me know!
My photo gallery
How to use the Gallery, Part 1, Part 2

How to add your bike photo to the rotating banner and our Banner Rides Page.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#18  Unread postPosted: January 26th, 2010, 6:31 am

Total Posts: 61
Active Topics: 1

Local time: August 14th, 2018, 4:49 am

Whatever you do with a compressor, make sure you use a water separator to filter out the moisture at the compressor so it doesn't make it to the paint gun.

Have trailer, will travel

Baling twine, duct tape, and paper clips are all I need to fix anything!!

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#19  Unread postPosted: January 26th, 2010, 6:34 am

Total Posts: 502
Active Topics: 60

Local time: August 14th, 2018, 2:49 am

Bagmaster wrote:
Whatever you do with a compressor, make sure you use a water separator to filter out the moisture at the compressor so it doesn't make it to the paint gun.

I agree 110%. The condensation can reek havoc on your tools, not to mention screw up the paint.

People ask us why we ride a motorcycle. For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Thanks to scdmarx for the pic

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#20  Unread postPosted: January 26th, 2010, 6:36 am

Site supporter

Topic author

Total Posts: 957
Active Topics: 50

Total Images: 23
Local time: August 14th, 2018, 1:49 am

Profile Personal album

Quote:
colder climates you use a faster reducer and in warmer a slower.

Woops I got this backwards, Colder temps use a slower reducer and warm faster. Reason being is you want the paint to flow out and if your flash time is too fast the paint won't flow out properly. Don't know what I was thinking.

Life not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain.

Don't tip toe through life only to end up at deaths door.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#21  Unread postPosted: January 26th, 2010, 6:39 am

Site supporter
knocker
C5 Club
Single Carb Club

Total Posts: 20782
Active Topics: 825

Total Images: 4096
Local time: August 14th, 2018, 12:49 am
My Bike Models: 1983 Interstate with '84 1200 engine, Solex single carb, and C5 ignition.
2016 KLR 650
2018 Ducati V4S
My Bike Logs forum link: viewforum.php?f=122

Profile Personal album

My YouTube Channel
Can you suggest the best type place to get paint, reducers, and all?

PLEASE! Use your Gallery album for saving pictures instead of using attachments or picture sharing sites, especially technical reference pics. This will make sure your images will ALWAYS be in your post and the discussion thread will make sense!
Go HERE and learn how to use the Gallery.

Image Image ImageClick to order CGW Stuff

If you know someone can embroider our 3" patch, let me know!
My photo gallery
How to use the Gallery, Part 1, Part 2

How to add your bike photo to the rotating banner and our Banner Rides Page.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#22  Unread postPosted: January 26th, 2010, 7:32 am

Site supporter

Topic author

Profile Personal album

That is a real good point on the water separator. I also use a oil filter as well. Compressors will allow compressor oil into the system and it will make a mess out of paint will normally show up as fisheyes. Good clean air is a must.

Speaking of filters I would assume folks know to use a good high quality respirator when painting. If you use a urethane paint respirators are not recommended, only a fresh air supply. It is my understanding that the charcoal in the respirator can become saturated very quickly with urethane and renders the respirator ineffective. With that said a fresh air supply and hood is expensive. I have painted urethane with a respirator but I put new filters in it before a shoot and throw them away once finished. I’m not saying I recommend this because urethane is highly toxic and can attack the nervous system. Not only that you want no contact with your skin and eyes need to be fully protected.

Some body shops will rent out their paint booths, especially if they are slow. I know my dad rented his out at times and of course the price will vary. You need a clean environment to paint in and a paint booth is best. Not only that if you are painting urethane they will have the proper equipment for you to use, and keep you safe.

Most of the work involved in getting a quality paint job is the prep work, the painting is the easy part and the quality of the finish product will be determined by the prep work. Here is another option, do all the prep work and then have a body shop shoot it for you. If all they need to do is come in and shoot and you do all the prep work and buffing afterwards you can most likely get it done rather inexpensively. I also have heard that paying in cash with no receipt can save you some money also. By going this route you will get a painter that can put a nice finish on your parts that will require very little wet sanding (if any) and buffing.

Here is what I have found painting bikes like the Goldwing, we all know it has a lot of plastic. Bags, trunk, fairing, and so on. You can not lay these parts on the floor and shoot them, at least you shouldn’t. When I did the 1500 I mad pedestals for the various pieces and then set them up so I could easily move around each part. I kept each part well separated from the others to reduce the overspray from affecting the parts already painted. Basically I used the entire paint booth. With so many parts you also need to be constantly aware of where your air hose is so you don’t drag it across one of the parts that has already been painted.

When prepping the parts for paint I remove all hardware including the riveted parts. It is very easy to rivet them back into place and makes for a much nicer paint job. Before Sanding wash each part with soap and water then use a wax and grease remover on it. Sand with 340 or 360 paper using a sanding block. Never use your finger tips to sand with. If you have access to one or can purchase on get a DA sander, it will save you a lot of work. I understand that harbor freight sells an inexpensive one. Once you have finished sanding and making any needed repairs wash each part with soap and water again. Once you have staged the parts to be painted I go over them with a wax and grease remover again and then a tack cloth. Once you have done this do not touch them with your bare hands, the oil on your skin will transfer to whatever you touch.
I’m prepping some parts now, I will post some pictures as soon as I can.

Life not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#23  Unread postPosted: January 26th, 2010, 7:49 am

Site supporter

Topic author

Profile Personal album

Sorry Dan didn’t see your question before I posted.

There are many suppliers of automotive paints. DuPont, PPC, Sherman Williams, and a host of others. Do I have my favorites, sure I do. I like DuPont but it is expensive. I have also used PPC and it to me is a very good product. There are a lot of on line paint suppliers have very good prices on their products. Actually in many areas suppliers aren’t suppose to sell automotive paints to the public, so if you happen to be in one of those areas order on line.

You might want to check out www.autopaint18.com and there are many other.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#24  Unread postPosted: January 26th, 2010, 2:05 pm

Total Posts: 1553
Active Topics: 30

Total Images: 92
My Bike Models: 1986 Aspencade SE-I

Profile Personal album

Very Good Info . and I hope to have mine painted by summer.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#25  Unread postPosted: January 26th, 2010, 2:34 pm

sledge wrote:
Very Good Info . and I hope to have mine painted by summer.

Me, too. Where is Limestone, TN? Lived here all of my life and don't know that one. I have found Huntsville, TN, though. Nothing more than a spot in the road. :smilie_happy:

People ask us why we ride a motorcycle. For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#26  Unread postPosted: January 27th, 2010, 10:27 pm

Profile Personal album

Limestone is in the North East Corner of Tn.. . and the Birth Place of Davy Crockett. . Davy Crockett State Park is about 5 miles from me. I'm about 8 miles from Jonesborough ( the Oldest Town in Tn . ) ... and I'm 40 miles from Bristol TN/VA where the big Race Track is. ... hope that helps plskthompson1

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#27  Unread postPosted: January 28th, 2010, 10:02 pm

I was in that region about this time last year for my job. We had a meeting that took me from where I live to Huntsville, TN, then to Kingsport. From there the wife and I went to Gatlinburg before heading home. Bad part about it was that the wife had just had hernia surgery, so we couldn't take the wing.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#28  Unread postPosted: January 28th, 2010, 10:58 pm

Profile Personal album

Ok , yeah Kingsport is about 30 miles north west of me , and Gatlinburg is 90 miles south east .... My wife and me like to ride to Gatlinburg and back , from here to Gatlinburg on the old road , then across the Smokies into Cherokee N.C. , and onto the bottom of the Blue Ridge Parkway , then up the Parkway to Ashville , then off onto Interstate 40 back to New Port , and back home is 300 miles.... and a Beautiful ride. ... but in the last couple of years 300 miles has just been a little too much for us , one of the reasons I traded for the Goldwing. . . we're not as young as we used to be.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#29  Unread postPosted: January 29th, 2010, 3:39 am

Total Posts: 247
Active Topics: 17

Total Images: 19
My Bike Models: 1981 GL1100I

Profile Personal album

WOW Sledge, your bring'n back some memories! We did a VERY similar trip every weekend on streetbikes while I was in High School in N.C. Had my Sr. Prom at the Biltmoore Estate (sp?).

Montecman
Friendswood, Tx.

1981 GL1100 Honda Goldwing Interstate
CMA Chapter 931, Pearland Tx.

1611 Image

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#30  Unread postPosted: January 29th, 2010, 8:06 am

Profile Personal album

Good Deal Montecman , sometimes Memories are a great thing .... Yeah I made that trip with 13 bikes about 92 or 93 , It was a beautiful day when we left , but up on the Parkway we ran into Rain , then Hail , me and my wife was on a Suzuki Water Buffalo ,
( hope thats now bad the talk about here ) we was wearing T-Shirts no jacket , it was a LONG , COLD , WET , Ride .... one
of them rides you never want to do again.... But I have made that trip many times, all the others times were wonderful.... we can't wait to finish the Goldwing and try it again.

Print view |
LOGIN  
Welcome to Classicgoldwings Chat Live Chat:   >   It is currently August 14th, 2018, 12:49 am