LOGIN  
Welcome to Classicgoldwings Chat Live Chat:   >   It is currently October 17th, 2018, 6:41 pm
Who Is Online: F5guy, slabghost, TossingLead ....1 guest(s) viewing this forum
Jump to:  

Portal » Forums » Resources » Goldwing and other M/C Links. Member Recommended Suppliers and Parts » Paint and Polish

Welcome to Classic Goldwings!
You are now viewing the forums as a guest which has very limited access to the forums.

Post subject: Re: Painting your Bike
Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#31  Unread postPosted: January 29th, 2010, 5:42 pm

Total Posts: 41
Active Topics: 3

Local time: October 17th, 2018, 7:41 pm

I painted my 1100. It was the first attempt at any kind of auto painting. I did allot of research before I started and I think it paid off in the long run. The gang at B&L Auto paint here in Vegas were awesome and walked me thru what I needed and were eager to answer any question that I had. After all the sanding, sanding and more sanding, it finally came together. If you click on the link below, you can see the finished result. All I can say is if you don't think you have the patience to do it right, don't even try. It takes time to get the job done right.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#32  Unread postPosted: January 29th, 2010, 6:40 pm

Site supporter

Total Posts: 305
Active Topics: 13

Total Images: 81
My Bike Models: 2005 Kawasaki KLR 650
1983 Goldwing Aspencade

Profile Personal album

Very nice! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
did you paint in your garage and if so what steps did you take to control the dust?? :music2:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ross

1983 GL1100A Aspencade

You don't know what you don't know!!!!

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#33  Unread postPosted: January 29th, 2010, 6:48 pm

Total Posts: 1553
Active Topics: 30

Total Images: 92
Local time: October 17th, 2018, 9:41 pm
My Bike Models: 1986 Aspencade SE-I

Profile Personal album

Your paint job looks good , I'm a retired Mechanic / Musician ... I have painted several Cars, and Many Many Motor Cycle over the last 40 years . And your right , getting ready to Paint is the Key....... and the sanding and priming, and sanding........LOL ...... I traded for 2 1980 Goldwings , one Black and one White , the Black one was Orignal Paint I think , but rough , and the White one has been painted , and the paint is Rough , I'm just using the Black one for parts ,, I'm gonna sell the Fairing and Bags and that kind of stuff , Keeping the Motor and Wheels , and Electronics .... I'm gonna rebuild the Carbs , and repaint the White one . Hope to have it done by summer .

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#34  Unread postPosted: January 30th, 2010, 4:13 am

Total Posts: 247
Active Topics: 17

Total Images: 19
Local time: October 17th, 2018, 8:41 pm
My Bike Models: 1981 GL1100I

Profile Personal album

Kewl! Keep us informed on the stuff you do and things that you learn.

Montecman
Friendswood, Tx.

1981 GL1100 Honda Goldwing Interstate
CMA Chapter 931, Pearland Tx.

1611 Image

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#35  Unread postPosted: January 30th, 2010, 8:04 am

Total Posts: 1553
Active Topics: 30

Total Images: 92
Local time: October 17th, 2018, 9:41 pm
My Bike Models: 1986 Aspencade SE-I

Profile Personal album

This has already been one of the worst winters in Many years in Tn. . . When I went to bed lastnight the weatherman was saying 8 to 12" of snow lastnight and more today .... well......sure looks like we got it . . . . LOL . . . . and between Nov. 20th. and Jan. 10th. I was in and out of the Hospital 3 different times . , Heart Problems , so it has slowed me down quite a bit this winter or I would already have this finished , But I can't wait for good weather to start on the Goldwing , I have also got a couple of street rods in the works too .

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#36  Unread postPosted: January 30th, 2010, 5:51 pm

Site supporter

Topic author

Total Posts: 960
Active Topics: 52

Total Images: 23

Profile Personal album

VegasWingnut looks like you did a very nice job. Since this was your first time painting, how long did it take you to do the prep work? Reason I asked it that many folks considering doing the same may not realize how much work and effort there is to the prep work.

You are so right when you said if you don’t have the patience to do it right, don’t do it.

Life not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain.

Don't tip toe through life only to end up at deaths door.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#37  Unread postPosted: February 2nd, 2010, 7:19 am

Total Posts: 32
Active Topics: 4

Local time: October 17th, 2018, 6:41 pm

Count me in, I would be very interested in the procedures you have mentioned, as I am starting to get prepared to do this myself. Looking foreward to some instruction.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#38  Unread postPosted: February 2nd, 2010, 3:42 pm

Site supporter

Topic author

Profile Personal album

Painting in your garage can work if it is legal in your area. However if you have a water heater or furnace they need to be turned off and the pilot lights out.

I seen where a guy make a home made paint booth in his garage out of PVC pipe and a few inexpensive fans and filters. In most cases a garage isn’t clean enough to paint in and filtering can be a real pain. Not only that the over spray will get into anything and everything that isn’t protected. Dust will ruin a paint job in a hurry.

http://www.mckennasgarage.com/xke/jag_25.htm

Here is a link to the booth he created. One thing he did that I wouldn’t have is he had fans blowing in through a filter and also fans pulling the fumes and over spray out. I would have just had more fans pulling the air out and the inlet air just filtered. Personally I think this is a great idea for a economical painting environment. He give a lot of good advice at this sight.

Life not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#39  Unread postPosted: February 14th, 2010, 9:23 am

I made a make shift paint booth by stapling some visquene to some 1x2's and mounted them to the roof with some dry wall screws. I held the plastic to the ground by tucking it under some 2x4's. I also used a box fan with a/c filters for fresh air and another box fan with more filters for exhaust out the bottom of my garage door.Make sure you wet down the floor of your garage as you paint to help control dust. Like oldwrench said, make sure your water heater, dryer or any other source of ignition is either off or removed from the area. Please be a safe as possible when doing this and get a good respirator!!!
As far as time goes, it took me a few days to sand the original clearcoat off and then some more sanding after that then even more sanding. lol. I was always going back after I sanded to wash and then re inspect the pieces for places I missed. In one of the pics you can see the bottom of one of the saddle bags still has some shine to it, you don't want that. You want the area as smooth and clean as possible.
After I primed, I wet sanded the pieces to get them as smooth as possible before I applied the base and clear coats.
Here is a article that I used to get started.....Lots of good information there. Click here
Here is a link to another project I did with some Dupli Color spray paint...Click here

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#40  Unread postPosted: February 14th, 2010, 9:35 am

OldWrench wrote:
Painting in your garage can work if it is legal in your area. However if you have a water heater or furnace they need to be turned off and the pilot lights out.

I seen where a guy make a home made paint booth in his garage out of PVC pipe and a few inexpensive fans and filters. In most cases a garage isn’t clean enough to paint in and filtering can be a real pain. Not only that the over spray will get into anything and everything that isn’t protected. Dust will ruin a paint job in a hurry.

http://www.mckennasgarage.com/xke/jag_25.htm

Here is a link to the booth he created. One thing he did that I wouldn’t have is he had fans blowing in through a filter and also fans pulling the fumes and over spray out. I would have just had more fans pulling the air out and the inlet air just filtered. Personally I think this is a great idea for a economical painting environment. He give a lot of good advice at this sight.

That booth looks kinda like mine. I used the filters to keep the dust from entering the booth.
Make sure the air leaving the booth is filtered if you have neighbors close so the paint wont get on their car.....and it will. Maybe let the neighbors know what you're doing so that they can move their cars too. Also like it showed in the link, make sure that anything inside the booth that you don't want paint on gets covered. Those little particles of paint go everywhere!

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#41  Unread postPosted: November 4th, 2010, 11:29 am

Total Posts: 11

Local time: October 17th, 2018, 10:41 pm
My Bike Models: 1982 Goldwing GL1100I Undressed

Go to this website (scroll down to post # #2338616) --> http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/sho ... er=2338616

I have personally painted my pickup truck a few years back using the methods used in the forum and get a good looking paint job at a real affordable cost. Only thing is it is hard work and takes a lot of time. But realistically with a motorcycle I don't see why it can not be done over a weekend. Finish the job with some polyurethane and the paint will last a long time.

:rocks:

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#42  Unread postPosted: November 19th, 2010, 10:35 am

Total Posts: 32
Active Topics: 4

Local time: October 17th, 2018, 6:41 pm

I could use a couple of tips. I painted mine a couple of months ago and it turned out pretty decent, considering the limited types of materials we are allowed to use here in Kalifornia. I ended up with three good coats of clearcoat over the base. My questions are regarding wet sanding the clearcoat. I believe they use 1000 or 1500 grit for this, and only enough to get rid of the high spots, or orange peel if any and proceed with buffing with I believe three different compounds to end up with a decent gloss. Am I on the right tract here?

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#43  Unread postPosted: November 19th, 2010, 10:47 am

Total Posts: 11

Local time: October 17th, 2018, 10:41 pm
My Bike Models: 1982 Goldwing GL1100I Undressed

Sounds right to me ... I've always read that people wet sand in steps from 600 to as high as 2000 grit and then use a polishing compound followed by a wax ...and that's it ....most of the best results seemed to relate to how much elbow grease (time) they put into it and the quality of their polishers ...and everybody recommends a random orbiting polisher that goes somewhere between 2500 and 3500 rpm ...I think around 3000 rpm is supposed to be the sweet spot. Forget which makes and models people recommend but do a quick search on popular polishers and you'll find one with the best or most reviews.

G/L .... would love to see how yours is turning out. I plan on painting my GL1100I gloss black with some gold trim.

:good:

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#44  Unread postPosted: November 22nd, 2010, 7:49 am

Site supporter

Topic author

Profile Personal album

If you are new to wed sanding I would use 1500 only, 600 is way too rough. The biggest mistake people make with wet sanding clear coat is to sand too much and use too much pressure. Never use your fingertips but a sanding block and the palm of your hand on the curved areas. Go light on the pressure once you have a consistant surface go to the polisher. Here again with the polisher, not a lot of pressure, I like 3Ms polishing compound.

I have seem many cases where people have sanded through the clear coat and that really becomes a mess. Not only that you don't want to take off more of the clear coat than you need to.

Good Luck

Print view |
LOGIN  
Welcome to Classicgoldwings Chat Live Chat:   >   It is currently October 17th, 2018, 6:41 pm