Old Chrome

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scdmarx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1982 Standard
Aluminum parts that have been chromed. Now the chrome is all pitted, flakey and funky looking. How does one go about removing the chrome without damaging the aluminum? Undecided if I want to paint or polish the aluminum afterwards. Would it be better to just start with newer pieces?

HMMM the chrome is chemically bonded I believe and won't come off easily.. ( maybe spending for non chromed??? I know that is more money for looks only and not good on the wallet) ... and if you try to electically remove it it will become toxic waste..

if it were me and i couldnt live with it because of pitting and flaking the chemical bond sure aint good and the peice is almost whorthless almost .... if you stablize a peice that you want to work on insuch a way that you can get to it all without it moving or rippleing you can sand and polish those peices or ruin them instancely with the wrong move under power of some tool.... ive taken that great stuff foam insulation stuff and shoot it down on a table and inbeded a flimsy peice...let it dry ... carve the excess off and this prvide the perfect backing for working on.. the stuff realy sticks well to plywood and the table needs to be stable ... there are many other ways to keep a peice stable but this is the trick to get where you can use both hands to do the work.... i think maybe painting these peices is not a bad ideal ...either way the prep work is the same... theres a zillon different tools to use depending on cercumstance of the peice but the best tools are patience and touch of the operator

Off hand, I'm looking at timing covers and valve covers. Both of which are readily available on ebay. If the chrome were removable, the process would cost me something anyway, I'm sure. So I'll probably just look for some aluminum pieces that will buff out nicely.

Thanks for your input.

this might not be exactly what your looking for.. but I think you could buff them with scotch bright and have them power coated for less money than buying the chrome ones.
mine are just aluminum that were clear coated... I cleaned the clear off and buffed them up.. but still not as nice as I want...

Hey guys, I know this is an old post, and I also know I haven't been here in a while, but I have a set of 1100 valve covers, aluminum of course, that I could part with. I no longer have my 1100, so I don't need the valve covers. If you still need or want them let me know, and we can work something out, I'm sure.

If you strip the clear off the covers, then gradually wet sand followed with hand rubbing the different grades of polish you'll be amazed at the rich glow you can get from the aluminum. It seems deeper, more full than chrome. Don't clear over it though. Just a good wax should do.