Painting lesson learned

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyb

Reaction score
So, I am in the middle of transforming my bike and as many of you know, I painted it myself. I chose Krylon over Rustoleum because my local store had a gray I liked in the Krylon. After having several cans of Krylon gloss black spit on my tank and side covers, I decided to try Rustoleum gloss black on my bags. Well, as far as I am concerned, the Rustoleum is a superior paint in every way. It goes on better. It goes on thicker without running. It is glossier. I am very impressed. If I ever get the energy to repaint the tank and bags, I will definitely go with Rustoleum.

Hello Andy.glad to heir that.was thinkng if i wanted to try painting my bike my salf to.paint shops here wants around 1500 dollers to paint it and thats if i take it all apart.was looking on youtube at ppl doing it.thay say if you take your time with the prep work it will come good.even if you mes up the paint, thay say you can wet sand and it and then buff it.says it would come out really nice.any pics on how it came out.

scratch99":eqzfsxbv said:
Hello Andy.glad to heir that.was thinkng if i wanted to try painting my bike my salf to.paint shops here wants around 1500 dollers to paint it and thats if i take it all apart.was looking on youtube at ppl doing it.thay say if you take your time with the prep work it will come good.even if you mes up the paint, thay say you can wet sand and it and then buff it.says it would come out really nice.any pics on how it came out.
No pics on the bags yet. I just put the final coat on the lids tonight and I will pull the masking tape off tomorrow. The bags have gone their first round and I will be wetsanding and putting the final coat on them tomorrow with the masking tape coming off friday. I will put up pics on Saturday probably.

Andyb":2mspzy04 said:
scratch99":2mspzy04 said:
No pics on the bags yet. I just put the final coat on the lids tonight and I will pull the masking tape off tomorrow. The bags have gone their first round and I will be wetsanding and putting the final coat on them tomorrow with the masking tape coming off friday. I will put up pics on Saturday probably.
Thanks Andy

scratch99":g317g0n1 said:
Andyb":g317g0n1 said:
scratch99":g317g0n1 said:
Thanks Andy

It is going to be a bit longer on the pics. The powder coat sample for the bags frames and case guards were a bit lighter than I expected so the powder coater had to figure out how to go darker. I hope to have them early next week. Since I am not getting the frames I decided to let them cure a bit longer before I buff them out. No buff, no pictures :smilie_happy:

Seriously though, I think the longer they cure the better the end product will be.

so andy im right at ready to paint the frame are you telling me that your frame was powder coated or did you use rattle can ....

ive got an hvlp spray gun thats electric and will probably use this on the frame and see how it gose but idont realy know what paint to get ....

and i sure dont have the money to get it powder coated .....

i will hope for the best im tried of messing with this frame ive been on it for a week now.....

Sorry for the confusion, Joe. I am not doing anything to the frame. I am having the case guards and bag hangers powder coated.

Well, I got the case guards back tonight and they look great. Hope to get the bag hangers early next week. Once they are here, then I will put it back together and get pics. I am so excited to get the bags back on.

Andyb":1dgfjbhm said:
Well, I got the case guards back tonight and they look great. Hope to get the bag hangers early next week. Once they are here, then I will put it back together and get pics. I am so excited to get the bags back on.
Hi Andyd,any pics yet.and is that your bike on youtube with them cool sounding pips?

scratch99":2fj2sf15 said:
Andyb":2fj2sf15 said:
Hi Andyd,any pics yet.and is that your bike on youtube with them cool sounding pips?

I am in Memphis for work right now but I am hoping the rest of the parts are home when I get there. I will put it together and post pics as soon as I can.

I have three videos on you tube. If it looks like the bike in my avatar, then it is my bike. :grin:

After delays for various reasons, my parts are supposed to arrive in the mail today. Hopefully I will have time to install them today. If so, I will post pics. :clapping:

trunk+rack.JPG

back+engine.JPG

Right+side+engine.JPG

right+side+closer.JPG

I am finishing up a new paint job and will post up a picture of two when I can. I don't have it back together yet as some of the parts still need some finish sanding. But, I eliminated the gray and added some red to the tank.

I have used it on parts on my Jeep, the Rustoleum brush on. It works well, goes on thick, self levels to where you could not even
see the brush marks. I did the Roll Cage and it turned out great.
I plan on using it on some touch up on the Goldwing. :music2:

Are you gonna change the front fender? It looks kind of lonely being the only chrome part. Sticks out a bit.