Back in the Saddle

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elementfe

Reaction score
Hi, Like a lot of riders, I used to live on my bike (78 Yamaha 3cyl shaft drive) way back in the day- I literally gave it away when the twins came along.
Now, thirty couple years later, a classic GW came up for a very reasonable price, and I'm back at it.
Took a couple weeks of watching videos and going over the basics before I felt like riding in town- going 100% legal this time around, taking the 2 day course and so on. Fortunately Washington State USA has fairly stiff knowledge and skill requirements to get a license.
This thing is a handful! Perhaps as much because I'm determined to get on top of basic maneuvering and control instead of doing the easy thing and hitting the country roads...hours in the parking lot before my first road day.
Andy G.
Guemes Island, WA USA

I'll suggest the "Ride like a Pro" videos and books. And yes, you are doing the right thing with parking lot practice. Watch some guys on the 1500 and 1800s dance with the big girl and you will be in awe of what can be done. Welcome back in the saddle! Sounds about like what I did in 2004, but I then went to an SEi before buying a 2006 1800 and putting 113,000 miles (so far) on it.