LOGIN  
Welcome to Classicgoldwings Chat Live Chat:   >   It is currently July 22nd, 2018, 7:42 pm
Who Is Online: No registered users .... 2 guests
Jump to:  

Portal » Forums » General Discussions » General Forum

Welcome to Classic Goldwings!
You are now viewing the forums as a guest which has very limited access to the forums.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#1  Unread postPosted: July 9th, 2018, 12:06 pm

Site supporter
C5 Club

Topic author

Total Posts: 1278
Active Topics: 190

Total Images: 839
Local time: July 22nd, 2018, 11:42 pm
My Bike Models: 1983 gl1100-alternator converted, c-5 ignition installed--Engine died in Grand Prarie BC

98 valkyrie

83 GL1100
My Bike Logs forum link: viewforum.php?f=123

Profile Personal album

Finally had a whole day to work on this project bike. Got the head on and able to turn the engine over by hand.
Set the intake and exhaust valves. Hooked up the battery. Pressed the starter button.Would not start. No fuel in lines and carbs.Used some starting fluid. Presto-Started.
This engine runs so smoothly and quiet.

NOW my problem is ( and I did not see it before) The head I replaced off of Flea bay has a broken bolt in the one valve cover hole. Tried to drill with an e-z out. The bolt is to hard for the e-z out to get a grip on it.

Now I have to decide weather I want to pour some money into it or sell it as is.
Needs brake help as the rear caliper is sticking. Rotor is pretty worn. Tires are 12 yrs old. In fact the rear tire valve stem fell apart in my hand when I tried to add air.

Will ride it and see how it goes.
Thanks for all the help you have given me.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#2  Unread postPosted: July 10th, 2018, 9:25 pm

Site supporter

Total Posts: 531
Active Topics: 43

Total Images: 11
My Bike Models: '83 gl1100 A,I,&S
'78 cb750k,k,&k
'74 cb550
& a Harley FXSTC

Profile Personal album

For the broken bolt, consider pb blaster on the threads, heating the aluminum with a propane torch, and using a left hand drill bit on the broken bolt. You can use successively larger left hand bits till the bolt is thin enough to unscrew with the torque of the left hand drill bits. This has worked for me in the past.
A nice smooth engine is worth the extra effort and time. A battery drill will go slow enough to bite on the metal of the screw..... Just my 2 cents.

Intrigued by the wail, seduced by the scream.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#3  Unread postPosted: July 11th, 2018, 3:43 am

Global Moderator
C5 Club

Total Posts: 14843
Active Topics: 151

Total Images: 112
My Bike Models: 98 Valkyrie, 84 Standard, X2 80GL1100,81GL1100,82KZ750,81 Seca750 ++

Profile Personal album

For the broken bolt, consider pb blaster on the threads, heating the aluminum with a propane torch, and using a left hand drill bit on the broken bolt. You can use successively larger left hand bits till the bolt is thin enough to unscrew with the torque of the left hand drill bits. This has worked for me in the past.
A nice smooth engine is worth the extra effort and time. A battery drill will go slow enough to bite on the metal of the screw..... Just my 2 cents.

Good plan here. There is also a product called FreezeOff. Works pretty good on stuck bolts.

Vote NO on taxes, levies, and incumbents.
Every day I learn I know less than I thought I did.
Every time something is made idiot proof. The world produces a better idiot!
Maturity like wisdom seldom arrives without age. Far too often though age arrives without either.
ImageImage Image
Politicians are like diapers. They need changed often. For the same reason.
A fine is tax you pay for doing wrong. A tax is fine you pay for doing well.
Second place makes you first loser.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#4  Unread postPosted: July 11th, 2018, 12:19 pm

Site supporter
C5 Club

Topic author

My Bike Models: 1983 gl1100-alternator converted, c-5 ignition installed--Engine died in Grand Prarie BC

98 valkyrie

83 GL1100

Profile Personal album

Bolt is out. Now I am ready to put it all back together.
Should be a great ride. The engine starts and purrs at 900 rpm.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#5  Unread postPosted: July 12th, 2018, 1:48 am

Site supporter

Total Posts: 645
Active Topics: 205

Total Images: 5
My Bike Models: 1981 Interstate
1981 Twinstar

Profile Personal album

WOOHOO!!! :yahoo:

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#6  Unread postPosted: July 14th, 2018, 11:56 am

Site supporter
C5 Club

Topic author

98 valkyrie

83 GL1100

Profile Personal album

All the parts are now on the bike. I drove it around the yard 2 times. Shifts real nice.
Now I can backtrack and fix things.

The headlight does not work.
The rear brake is locked up.
No turn signals.
Front tire is 10 years old.

Not too bad for a project bike, that had a bolt rambling around the left head, when I first got this bike.

Print view |
LOGIN  
Welcome to Classicgoldwings Chat Live Chat:   >   It is currently July 22nd, 2018, 7:42 pm