Feeling mortal.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slabghost

Reaction score
Never really been an ATGAT kind of guy. However I seem to be wearing the same jacket most of the time if it's cool enough. I had heat stroke a couple years ago so heat is a big issue. Anyway here's the question. Is there an armored jacket and pants outfit that breathes well. Is water proof. And can be worn over street clothes? Looking for gear that is pretty much all weather. If you have any suggestion or links. I'm interested. :thanks:

I don't think any one garment fits all your criteria. When travelling, I wear mesh in the heat, but don the water gear if it rains or the temp dips and wind protection is needed. If you find one that does it all, I'm all ears.

...and about that mortal thing. I can relate.

That would be my option, there are plenty of motorcross light mesh jackets with armour and just use a rain suit etc when more is needed. Some do have liners etc but I think for your heat issues the over rain jacket is a great option with a summer? mesh armoured jacket.

I don't do leather, but I have a leather/mesh jacket with a removable liner. Breaths alright in most weather, but on really hot days, it comes off, so it isn't the best. Same for my pants great for those cold days but they won't keep me dry or cool.

When it rains, I break out the frogg toggs.

I use the Olympia pants, adding Thinsulate liners in the winter. I have a Honda (Joe Rocket) GoldWing summer mesh jacket and a Tourmaster solid ballistic nylon jacket for cooler weather. I add a Gerbing heated jacket liner and heated gloves when it get really cold. I had on almost identical gear in 2016 when I wrecked at ~50 in the middle lane of a three lane interstate. All the gear was destroyed, but other than some very painful bruising all I had was a cracked process on my left wrist. No skin loss whatsoever. All of the gear is armored, and in the new jacket I replaced the back armor with a D3O piece.

right now i'm wearing a joe rocket ballistic jacket, it's all mesh but not made for a windproof / waterproof liner, I keep the windproof / waterproof liner from my Olympia jacket with me and put it on under the J.R. jacket, it's not zipped in but it works. for summer pants I have first gear mesh-tex which don't have a liner, I wear a pair of jeans or shorts under them. I have picked up some tourmaster elite rain pants but haven't been caught in the rain so they are untested by me

Both cool and water proof are mutually exclusive. I wear a Sidici mesh in warm weather. As noted, I carry my rain gear that fits over it in case of wet. If it really rains, you gotta pick your poison. Cool or dry. If it's a squall rather that a known frog-strangler, I opt for cool and let the road dry me out. I actually kinda like that. Sometimes, sweltering inside rain gear is worse than just getting wet.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203303#p203303:17vgx7cy said:
desertrefugee » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:45 pm[/url]":17vgx7cy]
Both cool and water proof are mutually exclusive. I wear a Sidici mesh in warm weather. As noted, I carry my rain gear that fits over it in case of wet. If it really rains, you gotta pick your poison. Cool or dry. If it's a squall rather that a known frog-strangler, I opt for cool and let the road dry me out. I actually kinda like that. Sometimes, sweltering inside rain gear is worse than just getting wet.
:good: Absolutely!