Wheel Chock

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rednaxs60

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Decided to get a wheel chock considering I now have two GWs back in the garage. This wheel chock allows me to not use the side or centre stands, and puts the bike as close to the front wall of the garage. Have been using it now for more than a week and it is working well, bike has not fallen over - good thing, and it was only $61.00 CDN delivered using Amazon, least expensive I could find.

Here are two pictures of the box and one of the bike tire in it:
Tire in chock.jpg
shipping box 1.jpg
shipping box 2.jpg

Nice!
I have Val on a dolly atm but I miss having her upright in the wheel chock. I am thinking of making the side stand support higher on the dolly so that the bike sits more vertical but I may just go back to the wheel chock.

I have a similar wheel chock mounted to a plank I secure to a trailer when I need to transport a cycle... but I certainly wouldn't trust it to hold up a bike just sitting on the floor by itself... it doesn't have a wide enough footprint to provide any substantial stability... at least... not for the seismically tumultuous environment of eastern Iowa :hihihi:

...not on my garage and barn, anyway. Now, if it's anchored to the floor, that's a different story.

Storing Goldwings... hmmm....

Okay, so I won't throw any stones here... not without exposing my glass house of half-a-dozen-or-so motorcycles...

We should be RIDING 'EM! :mrgreen:

But yeah, motorcycles are kinda difficult to fidget into really tight storage environs. A really hard, flat floor (for casters) makes it simpler. I've considered making rolling trays that have a chock at front, wide enough footprint for my bikes to roll on, lock in with some sort of gadget that grabs the swingarm... and then rolls around easy... mebbie even put a pair of fork pockets in 'em so that when I get the new building done I can lift 'em up to the mezzanine... or lock 'em to the wall (art display-style storage!) and then just fork 'em down when I wanna ride 'em...

(sigh) I digress... should just get on and ride 'em all... :moped:

I bought a really nice and very stable floor chock from Harbor Freight some years back. Not long after, I also picked up one of their lift tables when it went on sale. The table came with what I considered to be a very substandard chock. So, I had the bright idea of drilling a few holes and bolting the floor chock to the table. A bike secured with it literally doesn't need tie-downs, but I use them anyway. Nice combo.

_HF Chock.jpg

_IMG_5232.JPG

Yeah, that one is plenty wide.

My thought for storing mine... at least... the bikes with saddlebags... would be a wheel tray with front chock, and arms like this, but a pair in the rear too, with same width as bags, so as to give wide stance, but not exceed width of bags... and the aforementioned arms that lock onto swingarm, so it's got a good firm grip at both ends.

There's only two things we can really, really depend on in life: Gravity, and Triangles. Cats not so much, but gravity, and triangles.

When supporting anything, it's important to realize that tipover is a function of gravity and triangles. The center of gravity determines the peak of the triangle, and the outermost support point on each side determines the bottom corners of the triangle.

The steeper the sides of the triangle are, the more likely it'll tip over. Keeping the sides of the triangle symmetrical give you the best support. Keeping the sides of the triangle low (or the base wide) do same. If I'm gonna roll the whole thing sideways, I want a good solid-wheel caster, on a smooth floor, beneath a high-quality triangle. :rocks:

Painted on the boom of a friend's machinery moving forklift: "Gravity is a Heartless Mistress".

We fight gravity with triangles... it's an endless epic battle of forces. Always keep a few extra triangles on hand... when nothing else will do, a triangle solves all problems. Do YOU have your Concealed-Carry-Triangle permit? Take the test, get yours today, and have some Pi!

Have had the bike in the chock for a week, no issues. Quite stable for just storing. Wouldn't do work on the bike except for minor items. As mentioned, let's me tuck the bike up close and personal to the wall.

Cheers

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203911#p203911:1e3z4m63 said:
DaveKamp » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:21 am[/url]":1e3z4m63]
We fight gravity with triangles... it's an endless epic battle of forces. Always keep a few extra triangles on hand... when nothing else will do, a triangle solves all problems. Do YOU have your Concealed-Carry-Triangle permit? Take the test, get yours today, and have some Pi!

As we've come to expect, Dave, your entertaining discourse comes at just the right time, but I think I'll also keep creating my triangles with straps.

...but Pi is another topic entirely. Leave him out of it!

:read:

Pi... makes the World Go Round! :smilie_happy:

I'm partial to Pecan, but will stampede to Strawberry Rhubarb...

Seriously... if you're on two wheels, your snacks should start out round. Bicycling is all about ice-cream and pie... motorcycling, too... (we just burn more calories under pedal-power)... :music: