Questions about wheels

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-50Dave

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard various names used for various wheels over my time hanging around here, and I thought "maybe I'm not the only one" who can't identify the various types of rims. Are there better/preferred ones, or are the differences largely a matter of personal taste? Which ones are interchangeable? What do I have on my '81? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanx, Dave

There's been several types over the years, and although I haven't had but just this one '84 GL1200 Aspy, I HAVE several CX500 and 650s, so I'm familiar with the changes over time. I'll tell you what I THINK I know, and hopefully, others will chime in.

The earliest GL1000s had spoke rims... they were found up 'till about '78 or so.

the first non-spoke wheels I see, were early aluminum rims with stamped aluminum centers riveted to rims and hubs. The earliest were anodized silver aluminum... I believe '78 was about when they appeared, perhaps as early as '77.

In late '79 or so, the finish changed to black, and I think they actually may have 'flipped' the aluminum 'spoke' plates around (so that the stamp-cut edges faced OUT, rather than IN but still rivited multi-piece, and I believe they referred to these as 'ComStar' wheels. I've heard that the stamped/riveted wheels experienced problems of some type, at some time, but I've never had any issues with the wheels on my CX's... and my '79 CX500D has over a quarter-million miles of road between factory and now... it has black 'spoke' ComStars and never a problem. I believe they used the ComStar wheel right up 'till the GL1200 in '84... my '84 has one-piece cast aluminum wheels.

I'm not aware of any changes after '84 to the '88 introduction of the GL1500.

Again, this is just my observation, not in-depth experience or research... perhaps others can correct and fill in what I have not adequately identified.

Pretty much what Dave Kamp said above but, I've always heard the 78 and 79 referred to as Comstars and 80 through 82 as reversed co star because of the "flipped" plates. 83 used the cast wheels.

84/85 are the same and 86/87 rear wheels are the same. Outward appearance is the same for all 1200 rear wheels, but there were some changes made to the inner hub where the drive flange is inserted.