Expired Craigslist ads

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertrefugee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just getting older and more crotchety, but is it really necessary that we add another post to an old craigslist ad thread when they're archived? Couldn't we just move them to archive quietly and let them die a peaceful death? I think most folks are aware that a CL link several months old will have expired. Even an erroneous click on an expired link is a minor annoyance. And if it's in the archives, that should already suggest it is expired.

Just a thought. Now excuse me while I go scan some new Craigslist ads...

I'm with you. I felt bad that I put up so many ads over the months and half or more of them are expired. Another forum I belong to just deletes them automatically after a couple of weeks. I just wanted to clean up the thread. :blush: Sorry, Dave

A: ALL archived For Sale/Wanted ads in the archives are locked, so there's no new posts on them once they get moved to the archives.
B: We try to stay on top of the out of date/sold/expired ads as best we can. I personally moved over 60 of them yesterday. Remember....most of us(Admin/Mods) still have day jobs, and don't necessarily have the time needed to keep up with stuff like that on a daily basis. There is no settings here that will automatically delete those posts(Dan could explain it better, if he wishes to), so they have to be done manually....when we get time to do so.
C: There is no need to bring an out of date/expired ad to our attention.....we'll get to it...eventually. As long as there is no on-going discussion on one, the thread will fall off of the active topics list, and no-one will see it anyway.

:wave:

Busy admins were exactly my point! That's why I was just thinking that it's OK to do nothing with them and let them fall off - or stay off - the radar (unless they take up board resources until archived).

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=205567#p205567:3sm77mij said:
mcgovern61 » Today, 9:23 am[/url]":3sm77mij]
Is the issue that when we archive there is a whole new set of unread posts that are nothing more than archives?
I think yes, maybe so. There might be a setting to stop that behavior.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=205564#p205564:1wb4cfcd said:
AApple » Today, 8:41 am[/url]":1wb4cfcd]
A: ALL archived For Sale/Wanted ads in the archives are locked, so there's no new posts on them once they get moved to the archives.
B: We try to stay on top of the out of date/sold/expired ads as best we can. I personally moved over 60 of them yesterday. Remember....most of us(Admin/Mods) still have day jobs, and don't necessarily have the time needed to keep up with stuff like that on a daily basis. There is no settings here that will automatically delete those posts(Dan could explain it better, if he wishes to), so they have to be done manually....when we get time to do so.
C: There is no need to bring an out of date/expired ad to our attention.....we'll get to it...eventually. As long as there is no on-going discussion on one, the thread will fall off of the active topics list, and no-one will see it anyway.

:wave:
I had installed once a plug-in that’s suppose to auto-prune and move topics in the ebay ads forum and the for sale forum for the very purpose of lightening the mods work load, but that does t seem to work as it should. Leaves us to move them manually, if for nothing else to clean house. We get to it when we can.

Well, I've been kind of busy for the past few weeks and haven't spent too much time on the forum. I logged in this morning to find out that I had 96 unread posts. When I marked all of the for sale items (both active and archived) as read, that number was cut to 28...