Carburetors and inactivity

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertrefugee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bombshell: Carbs (especially CV carbs) don't like to sit around idle.

Seriously, I don't think this comes as a surprise to anybody who's dealt with them for any length of time. I knew better. But, the Phoenix mean season doesn't exactly beckon to motorcyclists. Not me, at least. I normally get a couple of long road trips in each Summer, but I "came out of retirement" in late June and missed my window this year.

So, three motorcycles have been mostly idle. If I remembered, I was starting them every couple of weeks or so. But, the Valkyrie sat for almost a month and the carbs dried out. Normally, unless an idle/slow jet gets clogged that's not always a kiss of death. But, for the second time since I've owned it. the #5 float stuck down and the machine poured gas on restart. I banged the bowl and said kind (and unkind) words on two separate occasions. No joy. Flood city. Enough that I had the fire extinguisher on hand.

I guess the third time's the charm. I did some spirited banging, rocked the bike back and forth as far as I could, crossed my fingers and fired it up. No more flooding! I think I dodged a bullet this time.

But the moral?

If the bike must sit for a while, treat the gas, and either drain the carbs or start the machine frequently enough not to let the floats settle on the bottom. They seem to like staying there on occasion. (My '84 Aspencade would do the same thing).

Another reason to run ATF in the gas. ALWAYS! I've let mine sit for a year and then it started right up. I've found the ATF makes a great fuel stabilizer too.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=205766#p205766:1ec7ydzo said:
slabghost » 38 minutes ago[/url]":1ec7ydzo]
Another reason to run ATF in the gas. ALWAYS! I've let mine sit for a year and then it started right up. I've found the ATF makes a great fuel stabilizer too.

At what ratio are you using ATF? I am in the habit of stabilizing all my fuel but it gets a little spendy.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=205779#p205779:3sje3ym5 said:
cowboy45 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:22 am[/url]":3sje3ym5]
1oz per gallon
Yes that's the ratio. I'm not real precise in my measurements though. I tend to pour and guess.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=205768#p205768:236mjfwd said:
cmyoch » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:20 am[/url]":236mjfwd]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=205766#p205766:236mjfwd said:
slabghost » 38 minutes ago[/url]":236mjfwd]

At what ratio are you using ATF? I am in the habit of stabilizing all my fuel but it gets a little spendy.

I add Marine Sta-Bill to every tank of gas.

One ounce to 5 gallons.

About $20 for 32 ounces,so that's a lot of gas.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=205766#p205766:1k7wz2t4 said:
slabghost » Yesterday, 8:41 am[/url]":1k7wz2t4]

+1 :music:

I'll be honest with you. I knew the pitfalls and have used fuel treatments for years. Just. Not. This. Summer.
Let's call it a wake up call. Too easy to do. Too much potential trouble if you don't. I dodged the bullet this time.

Well....iffin it make ya feel any better, I done the same dang thing. :doh: The 1100(The Turd) has been sittin idle for a couple of months now. I usually fire it up every couple of weeks and let it run for a while, but I haven't started it for at least two months...bad mistake! Went out today to fire it off an let it run, but it dint wanna run very well. Took a lot longer than normal to get it started, and it apparently is dead, or at least half-dead on one cylinder. So....I let it run for 30 nimutes or so while I fiddled with the carbs and such. It did finally get a little better, but still not 100%. I'll fool with it some more tomorrow.... :builder: :whip:

Thanks Joel. Sorry for your trouble. I guess I'd rather have a stuck float than a clogged jet - but the point here is that both are largely avoidable with treated fuel. (Not entirely sure a float couldn't still get stuck, but probably less likely).

...and it doesn't make me feel any better. We both are our own worst enemies. We should practice what we preach!

quote="slabghost"]
[/quote]

I use it in my diesel to clean the fuel system. Didn't know that you could use it in gas.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk