Shoei Neotec II Helmet - First Impressions

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rednaxs60

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Decided that the helmets we were wearing needed to be replaced. I was using a BMW system 6 helmet made by Schubert for BMW and Sonya was wearing the HJC (inexpensive unit), both modular helmets. These helmets worked fine, but if you only have one, the liner can get a bit tired after a while. I also used the HJC for a day and realize you can go up in quality and be happy with a helmet, but using a less than comparable and quality of helmet is not on. I borrowed a friends LS2 modular to give that manufacturer a try, and as with the HJC, it was not anywhere close to my BMW helmet.

Went looking at the local dealers of which we don't have many here on the island. Tried the HJC RPHA 90, not bad but just did not feel right. Looked at and tried the Shoei Neotec II and the fit was good, so it got onto the list.

Went to the local BMW shop where I tried the new BMW system 7 carbon helmet - made by BMW not by Schubert. Nice and light, good looking, no exhaust vents for such a high end helmet. Tried one on and the fit was not right. The helmet liner and structure pinched the cheek bones. For a high end helmet I would have expected a better fit. the sales person mentioned that this was one of the main complaints about this helmet. Tried on the Schubert C3 and C4 Pro as well. Again no exhaust vents and found the liner to sit back on the cheek bones instead of encompassing the face.

Looked on line for reviews, found some and the Shoei had very good reviews.

With this information decided on the Shoei Neotec II. The local dealer had a one day sale, got 10% off. Lesser quality helmets were discounted more. but had the Shoei on my list for Sonya and I. It is not the lightest modular, but the fit and balance is very good. Had Sonya try my friends LS2 and her first comment was it was heavy, but did not tell her until after we bought the Shoei that it was probably heavier coming in at or close to 4 lbs, but she mentioned that the fit and weight was fine at the fitting. Forgot to mention the price of the Shoei to her at the onset. She was surprised at the price but fit, finish, how the various mechanisms work and the balance of the helmet just can't be beat. We got the Shoei in the white colour.

Went for a ride yesterday for some 150 Km and noticed a difference right away. The Shoei was quieter than my BMW helmet as there is more liner in play and the BMW helmet is almost 5 years old. The balance of the helmet at speed was quite good. I look over the windshield so there is air flowing around the helmet. Sonya found the helmet to be quite comfortable as well. We also found the helmets to not be tiring considering the weight.

I/we have been using the SENA SMH10R for the past 4 years. Got a fantastic deal on these units 4 years ago, but we decided to go with the integrated SENA SLR units. Have sold the others to her brother. Not to sound too vain, but it looks good with the integrated unit(s).

Overall quite impressed and happy with the quality, fit and finish. Realize from having the BMW helmet (made by Schubert) and wearing a high end helmet, it is not easy to go to a lesser quality helmet; however, I will caveat this with a person needs to get the best helmet that fits their budget.

Here is a pic:
neotec-ii_white_1.jpg

Just thought I'd give some first impressions. Cheers

The fit and finish is very good.

Sun shade operation is smooth and the sun shade does not rattle when the face shield is in the up position, unlike the LS2 that I tried. My BMW helmet sun shade did not rattle either.

The face shield is a two position for locking. The face shield can be closed to the first position and this leaves a small air gap at the bottom and lets air in. Pull the shield down completely and it snaps/locks into place. Nice feature when you don't have the pin lock shield in. The helmet comes with a pin lock shield. When the face shield is locked into place, the opening tab is on the left side, only has one, and the face shield opens easily and once started you can use two fingers to put the face shield in the full open position.

I found the vents to work well and smoothly and the weight is quite neutral. the chin strap is easy to work as well once you get the hang of it.

Looking forward to getting the SENA unit for this helmet. There are channels in the interior structure to accommodate this unit.

When I was talking to the salesperson at the local dealer, she mentioned that Shoei is very meticulous with its quality control in that if a helmet does meet the requirement/specification it is discarded to trash. Here is a link to there manufacturing process: https://www.shoei-helmets.com/technolog ... ality.html

Here is link to a review of the Shoei Neotec II and others. Lots of flash, but I found it quite good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_Jy_mcJLF0

Cheers

no wish to hijack this thread but i have recently upgraded to a Shoei NXR and i can attest to the quality and finish of the Shoei.
i tried on a lot of different brands and styles while looking and the Shoei just fitted best for me.
two small criticisms.

1. the chin strap is a real bugger to clip up out of the way once done up. there is a press stud to hold it up, but its in a real tight spot.

2. the inner anti fog screen interferes with peripheral vision a little. its taking a bit to get used to.

but , overall, this helmet is brilliant. here tis....

helmet.jpg

impressed to read wind noise of the shoei helmet is good. this was in the past the reason to get rid of shoei. it was not a modular but a full face helmet and it was in the 80s. now i've a open helmet with visor from arai for the gl and a full face from nexx with 1200 grams for the fj. both really quite and confortable. i am not sure if i should get a modular because the higher weight and i do not know if i really need a modular with the gl. with the fj i am sure not to need it. 2 years ago i looked the shubert modulars and they all were black or something dark getting hotter than white with the sun. so i decided not to try them. i'll take a look at this shoei next time at a dealer, i'm curios. :)
greez
joebarteam