LOGIN  
Welcome to Classicgoldwings Chat Live Chat:   >   It is currently October 16th, 2018, 9:05 am
Who Is Online: AApple, brianinpa, dan filipi, TossingLead, TOWPRO ....1 guest(s) viewing this forum
Jump to:  

Portal » Forums » General Discussions » General Forum

Welcome to Classic Goldwings!
You are now viewing the forums as a guest which has very limited access to the forums.

Post subject: So, how do you know?
Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#1  Unread postPosted: September 29th, 2018, 1:36 pm

Site supporter

Topic author

Total Posts: 754
Active Topics: 229

Total Images: 5
Local time: October 16th, 2018, 1:05 pm
My Bike Models: 1981 Interstate
1981 Twinstar

Profile Personal album

This morning I dropped the bike for the third time this year. I haven't dropped it three times the rest of this decade. Twice at the bottom of my drive. I have to back it down about 50-60 feet, slightly downhill, across the level sidewalk, down the short incline to the street. When I git to the sidewalk, I turn the tail to the right because I'll be leaving to the left. I don't compensate the drop from under my left foot enough and by the time my foot gets purchase, the bikes too far off center and over it goes. The same basic thing happened stopping in an empty parking lot to take a break, on a side slope. I tell myself to pay more attention, but... The only thing damaged is my pride; the bike is fine. So I ask the older guys, how do I know when its time to call it? I'm bulletproof out on the streets, but this run has got me thinkin'. I really don't want to hear from the under 50 crowd theorizing about getting old. I'm 59, in pretty good shape (I do 40 situps, 15 pullups, and 35 pushups every other day) 165lbs, I used to be 6 foot tall but I've compressed down to 5'11". I have a 34" inseam, but the bike is tall at the seat, I have to scoot forward a bit to flatfoot it at a stop. Thanks for letting me vent, Dave

Post subject: Re: So, how do you know?
Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#2  Unread postPosted: September 29th, 2018, 1:56 pm

Site supporter
Single Carb Club
C5 Club

Total Posts: 17807
Active Topics: 185

Total Images: 1718
My Bike Models: A bunch in the works
My Bike Logs forum link: viewforum.php?f=121

Profile Personal album

My YouTube Channel
It’s mostly the bike as you said ..there a bit tall ...I’ve certainly fell over not moving more times than I care to,admit ...or barely moving ..I’m 64 but I’m still strong ..it just don’t take much to get it to far over and down lol ...I think your plenty strong enough to,keep riding ...and as you said half of it is mind not judging things quite right

thank god and hooch im gone

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#3  Unread postPosted: September 29th, 2018, 2:31 pm

Site supporter

Total Posts: 1443
Active Topics: 92

Total Images: 44
Local time: October 16th, 2018, 10:05 am
My Bike Models: - '97 Valkyrie Bumblebee Tourer that Honda never made!

- '78 GL1000 - custom and evolving

- '79 CBX-Z - a work in progress

Profile Personal album

I agree. You're over-analyzing. You dropped the bike. Big deal. Get on with it. Happens to everybody.

...except me. :BigGrin:

"Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence or stupidity." - Anonymous

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#4  Unread postPosted: September 29th, 2018, 3:37 pm

Site supporter
knocker
C5 Club
Single Carb Club

Total Posts: 20908
Active Topics: 827

Total Images: 4102
Local time: October 16th, 2018, 9:05 am
My Bike Models: 1983 Interstate with '84 1200 engine, Solex single carb, and C5 ignition.
2016 KLR 650
2018 Ducati V4S
My Bike Logs forum link: viewforum.php?f=122

Profile Personal album

My YouTube Channel
Dont let it get to you. These are heavy bikes to muscle. It happens.

I’ve dropped mine, 5 times I think.
Left foot slid out on gravel,
Stopped at a light in a lane with deep ruts,
Hit the start button in gear back when the neutral safety switch was stuck on,
Pulled off the road for a break, and found out exactly why they put up “soft shoulder” signs.
Pulled a U turn on asphalt outside Pismo beach, sand on asphalt....Bad!

I’m 6’2” and there have been many many close calls almost dropping it.

PLEASE! Use your Gallery album for saving pictures instead of using attachments or picture sharing sites, especially technical reference pics. This will make sure your images will ALWAYS be in your post and the discussion thread will make sense!
Go HERE and learn how to use the Gallery.

Image Image ImageClick to order CGW Stuff

If you know someone can embroider our 3" patch, let me know!
My photo gallery
How to use the Gallery, Part 1, Part 2

How to add your bike photo to the rotating banner and our Banner Rides Page.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#5  Unread postPosted: September 29th, 2018, 4:36 pm

Site supporter

Profile Personal album

My recent drops usually seem to be in the garage. (Yeah, I lied.)

- Dropped the VMax into the toolbox. Ruined the door on the lower section. Bike fine.
- Dropped the '78 GL off the lift. Luckily, the '83 Westfalia broke the fall. :shock:
(Bent brake lever, scrapped paint on the van - needs paint anyway, but dang).

I've had countless pucker moments, any one of which could just have easily been a drop. On the road, loose gravel, poor footing is high on the list. Parking lots. Just gotta always be on your toes.

...and about that garage. Any time you move one, it can be trouble - especially in tight quarters. Don't about the toolbox.

By the way, I'm 60 and skinny. The thought of packing it in just hasn't crossed my mind yet.

"Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence or stupidity." - Anonymous

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#6  Unread postPosted: September 29th, 2018, 6:08 pm

Site supporter

Total Posts: 877
Active Topics: 87

Local time: October 16th, 2018, 12:05 pm
My Bike Models: 78 GL1000
84 GL1200I trike project
84 GL1200I
85 GL1200I
86 GL1200A
88 GL1500I

Profile Personal album

I'm 5' 8", 225 lbs, and 70 years old. I've dropped my gl1200 once in the past 3 years - on a downward slope, flatfooted on gravel, and 2nd person got on. left foot slipped in the gravel and down we went. Only damage was to my pride.

I've had the gl1500 for about 4 months and had a couple of anxious moments due to poor footing in gravel. bigger bike means more to balance.

I'll move to 3 wheels when I can't stay up on 2.

Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#7  Unread postPosted: September 29th, 2018, 6:16 pm

Site supporter

Total Posts: 544
Active Topics: 44

Total Images: 11
My Bike Models: '83 gl1100 A,I,&S
'78 cb750k,k,&k
'74 cb550
& a Harley FXSTC

Profile Personal album

Ask yourself..." can I pick it back up afterwards?" If so, then don't worry about it and keep going. When I can't pick it up anymore I'll get a lighter bike.I'm 5' 8"" (maybe), 128 lbs and 63. Still touring on the '83 aspencade, and dropping it about once a year, but liking the low-stress stops on the vw trike 'cause it can't fall over, if only it would lean into the turns! Whenever I think about downsizig, I take the top trunk off?

Intrigued by the wail, seduced by the scream.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#8  Unread postPosted: September 30th, 2018, 2:24 am

Site supporter

Topic author

Total Posts: 754
Active Topics: 229

My Bike Models: 1981 Interstate
1981 Twinstar

Profile Personal album

Getting it back up is a challenge. If it were a dead flat, it would be doable, but its always been on a downslope, causing it to lay even flatter. I guess when I lose my confidence and don't enjoy it, I'll reconsider.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#9  Unread postPosted: September 30th, 2018, 5:19 am

Site supporter

Total Posts: 248
Active Topics: 10

Total Images: 7
Local time: October 16th, 2018, 11:05 am
My Bike Models: 1986 Interstate
1986 Aspencade

Profile Personal album

Just getting your bike on the road sounds like a worthy challenge for anyone at any age. Although I don’t feel it I am 66, 5 foot 8 inches with a 28” in seam. Yes I have dropped my bike twice, once putting it on the center stand, which I use almost al the time. I plan to keep riding for quite a while yet as it makes me feel ALIVE AND EXHILARATED.... I don’t want to lose that feeling too soon. :music:

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#10  Unread postPosted: September 30th, 2018, 5:53 am

Global Moderator
C5 Club

Total Posts: 14891
Active Topics: 151

Total Images: 112
My Bike Models: 98 Valkyrie, 84 Standard, X2 80GL1100,81GL1100,82KZ750,81 Seca750 ++

Profile Personal album

Might want to consider lowering and narrowing the seat just a bit. I've been making 6 point turns to get my bike pointed to the street. I've been unable to hold the bike up twice when the front tire slid in wet grass. Gently laid on it's side. Yes it's a heavy beast to get upright again. But I did.

Vote NO on taxes, levies, and incumbents.
Every day I learn I know less than I thought I did.
Every time something is made idiot proof. The world produces a better idiot!
Maturity like wisdom seldom arrives without age. Far too often though age arrives without either.
ImageImage Image
Politicians are like diapers. They need changed often. For the same reason.
A fine is tax you pay for doing wrong. A tax is fine you pay for doing well.
Second place makes you first loser.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#11  Unread postPosted: September 30th, 2018, 6:24 am

Site supporter

Total Posts: 1056
Active Topics: 65

My Bike Models: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 (sold)

Profile Personal album

Have dropped the ex-1800, my 1200, but not the 1500 (yet). Dropped the 1200 while practicing slow speed turns close to a tennis court and the women were very attentive and came to help. Must have been for the bike! :music: :music:

"When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"

Ernest

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#12  Unread postPosted: September 30th, 2018, 8:18 am

Site supporter

Total Posts: 1768
Active Topics: 32

Total Images: 71
Local time: October 16th, 2018, 12:05 pm
My Bike Models: 1986 GL1200A "Goldie"
2016 HD FLTRU "BB"

Profile Personal album

I guess I'll know when I should quit when I'm dead or found under the bike! I'm planning on going out kicking and screaming, probably won't happen. If I went by dropping the bike, I'd have to quit when I was much younger and didn't know how many ways you can get yourself in trouble and drop the bike, haha! I've lost track of how many times I've had touring bikes 'take a nap'. Anytime a heavy bike starts to get off center too much, I'd rather have it 'nap' than go to the clinic for (fill in the blank injury).

Riding anything is a good day

Mike

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#13  Unread postPosted: September 30th, 2018, 8:26 am

Site supporter
Single Carb Club
C5 Club

Total Posts: 1320
Active Topics: 85

Total Images: 51
My Bike Models: 82 GL1100A + Velorex 562E (Unison Leaner Rig) => solo for now
67 Bridgestone Mark II RS (restoring)
68 CL125A Scrambler
69 CT90 trail -> Sold
71 BSA A65T
75 CB750K5 cafe -> SOLD!
78 XS750E
79 XT500F
79 IT175F
83 DR125 enduro (my son's 2nd bike)
99 Z50R (my son's first bike!) -> Sold

Profile Personal album

I am almost 57, 5'6", 135 lbs.
Fortunately I haven't dropped mine yet (except when I had a leaner sidecar with her, and the lockout mechanism malfunctioned. Obviously I couldn't lift it myself, luckily it happened in my driveway.)
Maybe because I am extremely careful due to my size, or I just don't ride much.

My driveway situation is also tricky, backing up sloped down drive way into sloped road.

It's comforting to know that tall person like Dan can still drop it. LOL

82 GL1100A + Velorex 562E sidecar (unison leaner rig) -> solo for now
67 Bridgestone Mark II RS (restoring)
68 CL125A Scrambler (modified to a circuit racer with cafe fairing, clubman bars, rearset, home-made seat)
x69 CT90 trail (china 125cc engine, manual clutch, XL125 forks, Hagon shocks) -> Sold
71 BSA A65T (JRC carb, 4Gal european gas tank)
x75 CB750K5 cafe -> SOLD!
78 XS750E (Vetter fairing and bags)
79 XT500F (CB750 forks + wheel + brake, YR1 gas tank, and home-made seat for vintage cafe look)
79 IT175F (almost stock except VM30 carb for better MPG)
83 DR125 enduro (my son's second bike)
x99 Z50R (china 125cc engine, manual clutch, CT90 forks, 14"/12" wheels, XR75 swingarm, Showa shocks, my son's first bike!) -> Sold

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#14  Unread postPosted: September 30th, 2018, 8:47 am

Site supporter

Profile Personal album

...well, at least I thought I was skinny. Guess I should clarify. Age 60, 5'10", 175. Still struggling to maintain the boyish figure.

As far as handling a heavy motorcycle, much of it has to do with experience. The fact that smaller framed guys (and more and more women) are riding heavy bikes does suggest that it's not just about brute strength. It's about attention, technique, experience, confidence and luck.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#15  Unread postPosted: September 30th, 2018, 9:05 am

Site supporter
knocker
C5 Club
Single Carb Club

Total Posts: 20908
Active Topics: 827

Total Images: 4102
My Bike Models: 1983 Interstate with '84 1200 engine, Solex single carb, and C5 ignition.
2016 KLR 650
2018 Ducati V4S
My Bike Logs forum link: viewforum.php?f=122

Profile Personal album

My YouTube Channel
Every time I’ve laid it down it’s been to the left side, both times on the KLR too.
Interestingly, this Oldwing wants to go right with hands off the grips at speed.
Coincidense? I don’t know. I blame it all on gravity and keep going.

PLEASE! Use your Gallery album for saving pictures instead of using attachments or picture sharing sites, especially technical reference pics. This will make sure your images will ALWAYS be in your post and the discussion thread will make sense!
Go HERE and learn how to use the Gallery.

Image Image ImageClick to order CGW Stuff

If you know someone can embroider our 3" patch, let me know!
My photo gallery
How to use the Gallery, Part 1, Part 2

How to add your bike photo to the rotating banner and our Banner Rides Page.

Print view |
LOGIN  
Welcome to Classicgoldwings Chat Live Chat:   >   It is currently October 16th, 2018, 9:05 am