So, how do you know?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-50Dave

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This morning I dropped the bike for the third time this year. I haven't dropped it three times the rest of this decade. Twice at the bottom of my drive. I have to back it down about 50-60 feet, slightly downhill, across the level sidewalk, down the short incline to the street. When I git to the sidewalk, I turn the tail to the right because I'll be leaving to the left. I don't compensate the drop from under my left foot enough and by the time my foot gets purchase, the bikes too far off center and over it goes. The same basic thing happened stopping in an empty parking lot to take a break, on a side slope. I tell myself to pay more attention, but... The only thing damaged is my pride; the bike is fine. So I ask the older guys, how do I know when its time to call it? I'm bulletproof out on the streets, but this run has got me thinkin'. I really don't want to hear from the under 50 crowd theorizing about getting old. I'm 59, in pretty good shape (I do 40 situps, 15 pullups, and 35 pushups every other day) 165lbs, I used to be 6 foot tall but I've compressed down to 5'11". I have a 34" inseam, but the bike is tall at the seat, I have to scoot forward a bit to flatfoot it at a stop. Thanks for letting me vent, Dave

It’s mostly the bike as you said ..there a bit tall ...I’ve certainly fell over not moving more times than I care to,admit ...or barely moving ..I’m 64 but I’m still strong ..it just don’t take much to get it to far over and down lol ...I think your plenty strong enough to,keep riding ...and as you said half of it is mind not judging things quite right

Dont let it get to you. These are heavy bikes to muscle. It happens.

I’ve dropped mine, 5 times I think.
Left foot slid out on gravel,
Stopped at a light in a lane with deep ruts,
Hit the start button in gear back when the neutral safety switch was stuck on,
Pulled off the road for a break, and found out exactly why they put up “soft shoulder” signs.
Pulled a U turn on asphalt outside Pismo beach, sand on asphalt....Bad!

I’m 6’2” and there have been many many close calls almost dropping it.

My recent drops usually seem to be in the garage. (Yeah, I lied.)

- Dropped the VMax into the toolbox. Ruined the door on the lower section. Bike fine.
- Dropped the '78 GL off the lift. Luckily, the '83 Westfalia broke the fall. :shock:
(Bent brake lever, scrapped paint on the van - needs paint anyway, but dang).

I've had countless pucker moments, any one of which could just have easily been a drop. On the road, loose gravel, poor footing is high on the list. Parking lots. Just gotta always be on your toes.

...and about that garage. Any time you move one, it can be trouble - especially in tight quarters. Don't about the toolbox.

By the way, I'm 60 and skinny. The thought of packing it in just hasn't crossed my mind yet.

I'm 5' 8", 225 lbs, and 70 years old. I've dropped my gl1200 once in the past 3 years - on a downward slope, flatfooted on gravel, and 2nd person got on. left foot slipped in the gravel and down we went. Only damage was to my pride.

I've had the gl1500 for about 4 months and had a couple of anxious moments due to poor footing in gravel. bigger bike means more to balance.

I'll move to 3 wheels when I can't stay up on 2.

Ask yourself..." can I pick it back up afterwards?" If so, then don't worry about it and keep going. When I can't pick it up anymore I'll get a lighter bike.I'm 5' 8"" (maybe), 128 lbs and 63. Still touring on the '83 aspencade, and dropping it about once a year, but liking the low-stress stops on the vw trike 'cause it can't fall over, if only it would lean into the turns! Whenever I think about downsizig, I take the top trunk off?

Getting it back up is a challenge. If it were a dead flat, it would be doable, but its always been on a downslope, causing it to lay even flatter. I guess when I lose my confidence and don't enjoy it, I'll reconsider.

Just getting your bike on the road sounds like a worthy challenge for anyone at any age. Although I don’t feel it I am 66, 5 foot 8 inches with a 28” in seam. Yes I have dropped my bike twice, once putting it on the center stand, which I use almost al the time. I plan to keep riding for quite a while yet as it makes me feel ALIVE AND EXHILARATED.... I don’t want to lose that feeling too soon. :music:

Might want to consider lowering and narrowing the seat just a bit. I've been making 6 point turns to get my bike pointed to the street. I've been unable to hold the bike up twice when the front tire slid in wet grass. Gently laid on it's side. Yes it's a heavy beast to get upright again. But I did.

Have dropped the ex-1800, my 1200, but not the 1500 (yet). Dropped the 1200 while practicing slow speed turns close to a tennis court and the women were very attentive and came to help. Must have been for the bike! :music: :music:

I guess I'll know when I should quit when I'm dead or found under the bike! I'm planning on going out kicking and screaming, probably won't happen. If I went by dropping the bike, I'd have to quit when I was much younger and didn't know how many ways you can get yourself in trouble and drop the bike, haha! I've lost track of how many times I've had touring bikes 'take a nap'. Anytime a heavy bike starts to get off center too much, I'd rather have it 'nap' than go to the clinic for (fill in the blank injury).

I am almost 57, 5'6", 135 lbs.
Fortunately I haven't dropped mine yet (except when I had a leaner sidecar with her, and the lockout mechanism malfunctioned. Obviously I couldn't lift it myself, luckily it happened in my driveway.)
Maybe because I am extremely careful due to my size, or I just don't ride much.

My driveway situation is also tricky, backing up sloped down drive way into sloped road.

It's comforting to know that tall person like Dan can still drop it. LOL

...well, at least I thought I was skinny. Guess I should clarify. Age 60, 5'10", 175. Still struggling to maintain the boyish figure.

As far as handling a heavy motorcycle, much of it has to do with experience. The fact that smaller framed guys (and more and more women) are riding heavy bikes does suggest that it's not just about brute strength. It's about attention, technique, experience, confidence and luck.

Every time I’ve laid it down it’s been to the left side, both times on the KLR too.
Interestingly, this Oldwing wants to go right with hands off the grips at speed.
Coincidense? I don’t know. I blame it all on gravity and keep going.

I'm 54 and I stopped riding daily in all weather's about 10 years ago. I didn't ride at all last year. I ride for fun but with a family two of whom are autistic they take a great deal of my spare time. I work shifts so I'm tired a lot.
my decision to stop daily riding all year round really came about from a very bad crash which broke my leg and ankle ..My left leg is now weaker than before. I did however but the wing after the accident.
If really honest I was close to stopping daily riding anyway. my ability to deal with the freezing cold was really becoming hard.
when i was starting work after a long 1.5 hours ride in I hurt just about elsewhere for hours.
I don't feel I would ever really stop totally but the periods between rides are getting longer. I just spend more time tinkering and fussing over her than I did before.
If one issue does bother me it's the centre stand. I have a good technique but I still scare myself.
I read the bit you wrote about footing the bike backwards and I find that hard as well but for me it's leg strength. I've slipped doing just that. it's just a big lump .
that's me.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Dave you sound in heaps better physical shape than me. Is it possible or easier to ride off the other direction at the street then do a u turn then go back past your place in the direction you want to go? I also make sure when I am backing up a reasonable distance that the bike is running and I am feathering the clutch to have control not just using the brakes ( front only if you have your right foot down). If center stand is giving you grief check your rear springs/shocks as mine had sagged and it was a pita to use, now with new rear springs it is a piece of cake again to get on the centre stand.

Well, I truly appreciate all the responses. It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one in the whole wide world struggling to put my bike on its wheels, ...again. It is my nature to spiral down the mental rabbit hole from time to time. I think hanging with my 89 year old dad the last couple of years leads me down this thought path. He has a saying that he's been living by, "Quit one year before you have to." He stopped driving the "old" people to doctor appointments when he turned 80, he stopped driving to Florida for the winter last year. He clears his own driveway with a small snowblower, cuts the grass with a pushmower he refers to as his "walker", and worked 11 out of 12 days at my house, doing home renovation. If I take care of myself, I have a chance of aging gracefully. I wish the same for all of you. Thanx, Dave