A Morning Ride in Arizona

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertrefugee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. Now we're getting somewhere. Mornings are a delight. 80F high temps on tap. Except yesterday was 100, so we headed out early. I apologize in advance for not having taken a single photo. Instead, I'll link to a few borrowed illustrations because the destination is so cool - and so close to Phoenix.

Tortilla Flat in the Superstition Mountains, the last surviving stagecoach stop on the Apache Trail. We left just after daylight to beat the traffic and the heat, so enjoyed free reign on the fabulously curvy road going in. No cars. Just us and a few other cycles. Beautiful country, but you'd best be focused on the road, not the hills. It is a beast.

Highly recommended. Also freshly repaved. Was rough as a cob the last few years. Turns to dirt a bit further past the Flats!

Map.jpg

ApproachingTheFlats.jpg

Town.jpg

02-Superstition-Saloon-Tortilla-Flat-AZ-9-8-2007-003.jpg

I'm going to start to look at what sites there are to see in the lower states. Need to meet up with a fellow in Sacramento who has an '85 LTD, a jaunt down to the LA area as well - Sonya and I enjoyed meeting you and the family and were very grateful for your hospitality. Also enjoyed the day camping as well. Then I don't know. Haven't been to Arizona yet, and would like to see the Grand Canyon. Just a short 5,000 to 10,000 Km trip. Have to be careful in March as there is still the chance for snow.

Spontaneity is good as well.

Cheers

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206255#p206255:380vgiik said:
Rednaxs60 » 5 minutes ago[/url]":380vgiik]
I'm going to start to look at what sites there are to see in the lower states. Need to meet up with a fellow in Sacramento who has an '85 LTD, a jaunt down to the LA area as well - Sonya and I enjoyed meeting you and the family and were very grateful for your hospitality. Also enjoyed the day camping as well. Then I don't know. Haven't been to Arizona yet, and would like to see the Grand Canyon. Just a short 5,000 to 10,000 Km trip. Have to be careful in March as there is still the chance for snow.

Cheers
Keep me updated on your plans. Come March I’ll likely be ready for a ride somewhere outside the greater LA area. I live here so anywhere else is preferable.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206255#p206255:1tlrioqt said:
Rednaxs60 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:45 am[/url]":1tlrioqt]
Haven't been to Arizona yet, and would like to see the Grand Canyon. Just a short 5,000 to 10,000 Km trip. Have to be careful in March as there is still the chance for snow.

Cheers

I believe I'll sit out a run to the canyon in March. Call me a wimp, but hit me up in May on that one. Heck, the road into the North Rim isn't even open until May.

Untitled.jpg

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206258#p206258:a5lpvx0t said:
PurpleGL1200I » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:43 pm[/url]":a5lpvx0t]
still planning the 48 state capitol ride for May 2019. Approz 14,000 miles, at least 28 days.
file.php
If you plan on riding through South Jersey on your trip, you are welcome to stay here!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206258#p206258:vl3gt4tx said:
PurpleGL1200I » Yesterday, 3:43 pm[/url]":vl3gt4tx]
still planning the 48 state capitol ride for May 2019. Approz 14,000 miles, at least 28 days.
file.php
I'm right outside of New Haven, less than 50 miles from CT capital. Got a spare bedroom, if you wish.

I have been literally in all four corners of this state - and points between. But, I have not made it to Oatman. One of these days. By the way, there are wild burros roaming in several places out here. Descendants of runaways from the old mining days.