Clues to the true mileage?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerryb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm waking up a 1979 gl1000 for a friend. Last inspected in 2004, 35k miles showing on the clock. Condition looks good, was stored indoors, very little rust. What makes me wonder is the clues to a lot of work done to this by previous owner(s). The clues include: gl1100 exhaust installed, the crossover pipe removed and plugged to make it fit. Several mounting bolts on the engine have thread damage and one upper front bolt is replaced with the wrong diameter!
I should have looked closer at the drive splines when the rear wheel was off, but I'll be back in there soon when the gas tank goes back in.
The question is... what other clues should I look for to be confident its 35k miles and not 135k miles? Should I pull the clutch and measure the plates? Other suggestions?

all part of the adventure...

That is a tough one. The reality is, if the bike spent any time outside, the exhaust could have rusted through easy enough. The engine bolt issue could just be a ham-fisted backyard mechanic (like many of us) and not real good with tools. If the engine is original and only has 35K on it, it is hard to determine. The only signs I know of are leaking can cover gaskets, shifter seals, tachometer seals and such, grime under the engine from oil leaks, etc..

It all doesn't prove mileage one way or the other. For example, the engine in my '82 is an '83 engine that had 53K on it. This is what it looked like:

image.php

image.php

Now, same engine with nearly 75K on it:

image.php

Impossible to determine IMO. Any part can be replaced with one of lower mileage and better condition. Then again, even high mileage parts can look very good if properly cared for.

Good points all, thank you gentlemen for making this question a moot point. I'll just keep a list of what I find for future reference. As for whether to pull the clutch while new belts are going on will be left to an expert with more insight than me...now where is that ouija board?

I went through the same question with the Rats Nest and Steve and I went with 27K miles was the actual mileage as it still had a Bakelite water pump impeller.

imo the belts are changed with engine in place. the clutch with engine out. so it's really down to if you plan to remove the lump. if that is the plan then yes do the clutch. if this was mine I would also consider starter chain and carb ultra sonic clean with engine out..
one issue I dealt with while engine was out on mine was the frame and cross member that supports the centre stand. I rebuilt this at the same time.
I also dis a head rebuild and valve guides and seals as well as cam seals .
it just made sense as the lump is easy to work on when out.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206592#p206592:2gy1o1z8 said:
Goldtop » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:03 pm[/url]":2gy1o1z8]
imo the belts are changed with engine in place. the clutch with engine out. so it's really down to if you plan to remove the lump. if that is the plan then yes do the clutch. if this was mine I would also consider starter chain and carb ultra sonic clean with engine out..
one issue I dealt with while engine was out on mine was the frame and cross member that supports the centre stand. I rebuilt this at the same time.

Stator is engine out too, right?

~O~

I have read of this being done with engine in but this is not my favoured option.
I removed the fuel tank and repainted as well. it's just down to time and money and in the end how much you want to do preventive wise..

I've just noticed the original post mentioned the cross over pipe on the exhaust was cut off and plugged.
it seems as if the inference is that this was to install a 1100 exhaust on a 1000.
removing the crossover pipe I've heard is an adaption that seems to help with the general performance of these aftermarket pipes. I cannot remember the specifics of the theory but it's I believe to to with back pressure.
perhaps a more scientific fellow can explain but my point is that removing it is not part of a botch.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206595#p206595:3e7q6tsp said:
Omega Man » Yesterday, 9:58 pm[/url]":3e7q6tsp]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206592#p206592:3e7q6tsp said:
Goldtop » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:03 pm[/url]":3e7q6tsp]

Stator is engine out too, right?

~O~

I know that you do for the 1100s and it sure looks the same. Just a thought here...while the motor is out should a refurb on the starter clutch be in order? I did that this summer just because the thing was on my table and only had about $20 into it. I guess I did it right since everything is working, including a new starter.

Oh, the last time I had the motor out I replaced all of the clutch plates. Shouldn't have to worry about that anymore. Don't think it was that much money but I can't remember. I guess that I'm the kind of person that loves to throw parts at it.

Well, at this point all thats left on the frame is the engine, swingarm, triple trees, and the wiring harness. I guess I'll put the front wheel back on and pull the motor to clean the frame better. I was stalling cause I didn't want to deal with the circlip on the output shaft. :rant: 1000's do have that don't they? I suppose I could touch up the engine paint too...this was intended to be a wake-up procedure for a friend, not a rebuild, but it kind of sucked me in. Guess I should take some pictures too!

p.s. it has a metal impeller on the water pump, but no play or leaks.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206620#p206620:3rgzt0oe said:
joedrum » Yesterday, 12:55 pm[/url]":3rgzt0oe]
LOL ...suck in yep it happens ...i need to get with it too ...work on hooch
You must be feeling better. I hope that is the case. :yes: