Maintaining tire pressure

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scdmarx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1982 Standard
More than I'd expext to pay for such a thing, but besides that, has anyone had any experience with this or anything similar?

https://goldwingchrome.com/N_ItemDetails.asp?parItemID=1310&parCategory=MISC

I'm getting tired of ruining tires. Even though I check tire pressures, by the time I realize something ain't right, I've already been riding on a low tire. Seems it doesn't take long to weaken the sidewalls. I really would like something that I could mount in a visible place to alert me when tire pressure drops below a set PSI.

I don't know if it has to do with high or low tide, position of the moon, or the ol lady's mood, but I seem to be having some bad luck picking up nails/screws/staples, etc. Always the back tire, too. I trash them beyond trust before they wear out. I'd like to change that if I could.

That would be really nice and cool but its awful expensive
There was a thread awhile back about these valve stem caps with a clear tip that would change color if the tires were just a few psi too low

I just looked for some online and these were the cheapest i could find $9.00 + $2.64 to ship :clapping: :clapping:
https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0433343105

I didn't think about them being at the part store that's a good idea Dan... A good thing about the guy selling them on eBay is that he'll split them up for you if you want... for instance, one 40 psi cap and one 36psi cap in case you want your front and rear tire at different psi
I'm testing out my new internet phone, this post was done on my cellphone :yahoo:

BigAndrew":3gsb8qdu said:
I'm testing out my new internet phone, this post was done on my cellphone :yahoo:

That's cool!
My son just got a Iphone, my daughter a Blackberry. Too complicated for me, all I need is my trusty old LG flip phone and I'm good.

I didn't see the pressure could be split up like that, don't know if the auto stores have them like that. Sounds like a reason to do some comparison shopping tomorrow around town on the bike :music:

dan filipi":2avjaqwp said:
That's cool!
My son just got a Iphone, my daughter a Blackberry. Too complicated for me, all I need is my trusty old LG flip phone and I'm good.

I didn't see the pressure could be split up like that, don't know if the auto stores have them like that. Sounds like a reason to do some comparison shopping tomorrow around town on the bike :music:

The phone i got just came out yesterday, I LOVE IT!!! :mrgreen: Its bigger and better then the iphone :yahoo:
If you do find them at the auto part store there probably only gonna have a set of four for the cagers, which is gonna cost more :fiddle:

BigAndrew":3rbbha4z said:
If you do find them at the auto part store there probably only gonna have a set of four for the cagers, which is gonna cost more :fiddle:

Oh, but WAIT!!!! I have 2 bikes! That's 4 tires! :yahoo: :yahoo:

Those are better than nothing, but you still can only see them when you stop and get off the bike to look at them. I had more in mind something that would alert me while cruz'n. And I was kinda hopeing someone could show me something for a little less than $150. (and whether or not it works)

scdmarx":1nbyy91d said:
Oh, but WAIT!!!! I have 2 bikes! That's 4 tires! :yahoo: :yahoo:

Those are better than nothing, but you still can only see them when you stop and get off the bike to look at them. I had more in mind something that would alert me while cruz'n. And I was kinda hopeing someone could show me something for a little less than $150. (and whether or not it works)

Lol.. Well if you have two bikes... Then there ya go :lol:

Your right, with these it would be a little hard to see them while going down the road :smilie_happy:
Just check them every time you stop to get gas while your on a long trip, If your tires lose pressure inbetween fillups more then just a tad you'll feel it

BigAndrew":12oab5l6 said:
I didn't think about them being at the part store that's a good idea Dan... A good thing about the guy selling them on eBay is that he'll split them up for you if you want... for instance, one 40 psi cap and one 36psi cap in case you want your front and rear tire at different psi

Hey Andrew they got Cell towers in Okefenokee Swamp????? or Gator Alley???

Joep":eonbt609 said:
Hey Andrew they got Cell towers in Okefenokee Swamp????? or Gator Alley???

Lol... I dunno... I dont live out in the middle of B.F.E. so i couldnt tell ya :cheeky: :rtfm: :Doh2: :smilie_happy:

I'd be interested in how will they work also, I just put the complete hard bags on the rear a month ago and space is getting a little tighter back there.
I searched the web and it looks like $150 is where the start in price. It would be nice to know the pressure is not going down while riding.

I have had 2 vehicles with the factory installed units (cagers now) and they work real nice.. doesn't tell me how low.. just low.. especially in the winter time.. I expect they would work the same on a bike.. but maybe tell you how low they are....??

Our Suburban has the factory tire pressure system, very slick.
A couple weekends back I heard a POP, thought it was a truck in the other lane but 30 seconds later the warning bong from the dash came on with low tire pressure right rear. When that comes on it's at 25 lbs., gave us enough time to get off the freeway to a station. Found a 1/4 inch bolt in the tire that went in head first and wouldn't pull out.
Sure would be nice to have a system like that on the bike.

kah92340":2jrzb816 said:
I'd be interested in how will they work also, I just put the complete hard bags on the rear a month ago and space is getting a little tighter back there.
I searched the web and it looks like $150 is where the start in price. It would be nice to know the pressure is not going down while riding.

I'm not convinced to throw out $150 for this, I can't right now anyways. When I look at the thing, I just don't see $150 there. Plastic, battery, key fob with a RF range of what...8-10 feet? The technology is out there, and China being the wonderful place that it is and all, I guess I was fishing for the experience of someone who has tried, or heard of a cheaper, or even lesser quality product, that would kinda do the same thing. Maybe with LED warning lights instead of actual pictograph, or ????

I may end up going with the colored caps because they are more affordable and I'm getting too fat to crawl down under the bags with a tire gage as often as I'd like. That was a good alternative suggestion. But I'd really like to be alerted as soon as possible while I'm riding.

I just scored one on ebay for $31 + $10 shipping. This one has 3 caps for a trike. :yahoo:

Sure hope batteries are included. :beg:[/quote]

Good score, will you let us know how they work out after you've used them for awhile?

scdmarx":321h117c said:
scdmarx":321h117c said:
I just scored one on ebay for $31 + $10 shipping. This one has 3 caps for a trike. :yahoo:

Sure hope batteries are included. :beg:

Batteries are extra....and $100......
:smilie_happy: :mrgreen: :smilie_happy: :mrgreen: