Oooops!! This could have been really bad!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
So...I got stuck at the fuel station Monday, due to a dead battery. My handy-dandy Rockford Power Pocket had already taken a dump, too, so it was basically dead. Got a feller from the shop to run up with the big booster box and get me goin. Yesterday, I decided that since the Power Pocket thing was dead anyway, I might as well open it up and see if the battery was replaceable.....a replacement battery would be a heck of a lot cheaper than replacing the whole dang thing. I got it opened, but the battery is soldered to the rest of the circuit board. Then, I got curious....the battery is wrapped in a blue plastic, so I sliced that off. Under that was some cardboard-like stuff that was glued down. I peeled that stuff off, and there was some fiber-based tape holding the rest of it together. The rest of it being three separate panels. I started just feeling around on it, mashing and such, and I heard a "poof"...like air escaping, then the whole thing sorta deflated. Still curious, I kept messing with it, and then it happened....another big "poof", and all of a sudden the durn thing starts smoking, and whistling....LOTS of smoke....like a friggin diesel on startup lottsa smoke. I was holding it by the circuit board and ran outside to chunk it in a barrel before it friggin exploded inside. Damn thing smoked for aboot 20 minutes.....and I mean SMOKED. The space station could prolly see it. Heavy, thick, white smoke....all the while still whistling. Scared the pee outta me! After aboot 30 minutes or so, it finally quit smoking and making noise. I waited a few more minutes before I went to peer down inside the barrel. Thing was TOAST.
Guess they don't want anyone replacing the battery pack in those things, eh? :whistling:
I'll get some pics of it tomorrow....forgot the camera today. I wound up buying another booster anyway, but I got a different brand/type this time. The Rockford box saved my bacon more than once since I've had it, but it just dint last that long....it was only aboot two years old or less. There is nothing on the packaging, or in the User Manual that states edzachary WHAT type of battery this thing uses, but I'm sure it's a lithium ion, or similar. I did find this info on a site that sells these things...."Built-in Nano Lithium batteries can hold a charge for up to a year."

shopping

Now just imagine if the jostleing around inside your saddle bag would have cause it to short out...... having a jump box is great when you need it but they are notorious for catching on fire. I have had 2 go up in smoke in the last 10 yrs and would never even consider carrying one on my bike or in a car but i do keep jumper cables in everything i own.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

This is the one I got to replace the Rockford....

The Power Pocket has a fairly padded, zippered pouch/case....and it fits snug in the saddlebag. My thinking is it just got too damn hot in the summers here, and that's what caused it to fail so quickly. I mentioned in another thread that it had swelled up, and I wasn't able to turn it on or off. Anyway, we'll see how the new one works, but I'm making sure i don't leave the new on on the bike while it's parked outside in the heat of summer, just in case. The only downside to the new one is that it can ONLY be charged using a min USB cable, either from a PC, or a USB adapter for ciggy lighter socket. There is no provision, nor does it come with an AC charging adapter....which kinda sux. :roll:

There are several sizes/ratings available. The GB40 is supposed to be good for up to a 6L V8. The smaller ones are only rated for a 3.5L....

I hope the new one is anti tamper and Joel proof! :smilie_happy:
You got lucky as the old lithium iron batteries would of exploded when you dunked them in water while having a chemical fire. Missing flight MH370 has has some theorists believing that it was a cargo of unstable lithium batteries that bought it down.

Friend of mine put a lithium battery on his 04 suzuki marauder and it exploded under his rump at 75 mph got some nasty burns on his thighs from it ...damn near burnt the bike to the ground before he could get it off the road. If it were not for the fact his seat had a lever to pop it off it would have burnt the whole bike only thing that saved it is the fact I keep a small kitchen fire ext in my saddlebag. His bike was over charging is the only thing we can figure could have done it instead of 13.7 volts it was charging at 14.2 at 3800 rpm which is about 75 mph

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=180597#p180597:2iylzqdk said:
slabghost » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:30 am[/url]":2iylzqdk]
Very similar to the one I just bought. Not enough in it to start the big merc though.
I'm not sure if Hoover Dam would jump start that big Merc!! :hihihi:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=180617#p180617:2jq37178 said:
Steve83 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:41 pm[/url]":2jq37178]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=180597#p180597:2jq37178 said:
slabghost » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:30 am[/url]":2jq37178]
Very similar to the one I just bought. Not enough in it to start the big merc though.
You may be right. After I tried my jumper. I had a big Dodge truck on jumper cables try. Not enough to do more than just engage the starter.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=180619#p180619:181l07ix said:
slabghost » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:35 am[/url]":181l07ix]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=180617#p180617:181l07ix said:
Steve83 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:41 pm[/url]":181l07ix]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=180597#p180597:181l07ix said:
slabghost » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:30 am[/url]":181l07ix]
You may be right. After I tried my jumper. I had a big Dodge truck on jumper cables try. Not enough to do more than just engage the starter.
That is another trap, most store bought jumper cables have nice thick insulation and hardly any wire inside them. :doh:
I have pulled back a few clamp ends to show customers why my custom made jumper cables with tinned 2 b/s cable and links in the heavy duty clamps work and theirs don't.