Micro burst and no power x18 hours.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega Man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had a monsoonal micro-burst right over our heads last night around 6:30pm when we were on the patio. It actually scared me and I love rough weather. We rushed in and realized the power was off. It was 113F yesterday. Luckily this happened after a nice downpour that cooled everything off, and the apartment was already nicely chilled. Two deadlines for restoration came and passed so I crashed. 12:30am I go to find out what has happened. Right across the street in a direct line with my patio 6 power poles went down. Two snapped at the halfway point and one came down on a van of people(no injuries!) visiting a small spring preserve also across the street. 18-27 poles came down day before yesterday only 8-9 miles away(Boulder Hwy if you know the area).

So 18 hours later we are back in business, and as much as I love and NEED ac I was doing fine. No power, no TV, PC, even had to conserve phone battery. I was unplugged. Mother nature sort of gave us a consolation prize. It was supposed to be 114F today, but it's been cloudy and 88F.

So I was fine, so relaxed. My wife was so surprised. :smilie_happy:

~O~

p.s. All the poles are still down, they jacked us into the neighborhood grid right behind us. :rocks: It wasn't supposed to be restored until 7am tomorrow. :shock:

Glad you came out of it unscathed. We had some pretty nasty weather move through in the wee hours last night, too. Didn't loose power, but it was bumpy enough to wake me up. I capitalized on the moment and took a leak.

Still waiting for rain in a bit more quantity than the slight splash we had a few days ago. Both rain barrels are dry.

Great that they had your power back on in 18 hours Randy. :good:
The last couple of times around here have been more days than hours. :head bang:
Picked up a diesel gen set last time so that has fixed the power outages for quite some time now, just need to use it more so that the fuel doesn’t go off! :smilie_happy:

We are rural, and suffer outages (usually due to tree falls across power lines up by a neighbor's) averaging a couple a year. Two years ago I bought a Harbor Freight Predator 8750/7000 watt generator and we have used it four times since. I went ahead and bought the wheel kit and battery for it and store it in the garage where I can roll it out, hook up the ground, plug in the cable to the gen and port in the garage, flip breakers and switch the interlock while the gen warms up, then start loading it. Luckily our utility linemen are quick to get out to us and make repairs in a few hours each time. We run a freezer, frig, furnace fan, lights, electronics - all but the stove and AC unit. I shut the gen down byt shutting off the fuel and letting it run the float bowls dry. So far it starts first press of the start button.