1982 Motor Removal and Stator Change

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the starter off and the thing is filthy inside. The armature has enough carbon on it to make diamonds. I have found kits for under $20 and I'm going to order one. Even if this is not the problem it needs done so a couple of more days on the center stand. Thanks for the help guys.

I ordered a brush kit but it will take most of the week to get here. It's funny, I wanted to get my stator replaced in time to go to the Saunders get-together in mid-July. Ah hell that's funny.

Here is a pick of the inside of the starter. It's the stuff God used to form man. Will give everything a good cleaning and grease it up, put in the new brushes and off we go.

IMG_0776.jpg

BTW, this was a good day otherwise. The Blue Angels were in town and really put on a show. Very cool.

I cleaned up the starter motor on my GL1000 and although it ran great when touched with jumper cables, wouldn't turn over tge engine. Turned out the solenoid was shot.

Great update. I completely cleaned the starter and replaced the brushes. After I put it back on the starter got the Gold Witch started, not once, but three times and then it just stalled. Snarling like a dog that thinks you're trying to take away its chew bone. Ordered a new starter.

One plus, the bike is now charging which is why I started this journey in the first place. So the stator was bad and now good. Yeah.

And another thing I've done is work on the back shocks. The right side had blown out and was bleeding on the floor. I happened to have an extra pair of shocks and went ahead and tore both down and put new oil seals in them and new ATF. first time for me on that little procedure. Pretty easy actually. That is unless you want to change the springs, which I did not.

That is for the next guy. And there will be a next guy. Soon.

On it goes. The starter I ordered doesn't fit. You can see in the picture below that the battery post is in the wrong place and it interferes with the exhaust pipes when I try to install it. Oh well. Trying to get a replacement from the seller. The picture I saw matched my starter, maybe the one they shipped me was from a 1000 or 1200. Don't know, but this is all getting ridiculous.

GALLERY]

The picture is a bit misleading, the lengths are about the same.

Just a suggestion here. Try your old one just straight powered from jumper cables. I had a similar problem and it turned out to be an intermittent starter solenoid.

My update includes more waiting. I ordered a starter from a place called Rareelectrical on eBay. When I tried to install it I noticed that the diameter of the crank end seemed to be too large. And the starter interfered with the exhaust downpipes. Turns out that the starter they sent me was wrong. Even the battery posts were in a different place.

I tried to call them and it took them six days to get back with me. I had already sent the starter back and was really wanting them to just give me the right part. The customer service guy told me that he would check the package I sent them the next day. This was last Friday. Well, he didn't do that. I just asked for a refund.

I ordered a new one from Green's Motorcycle Salvage in Kentucky. Hopefully I'll get it today and the bike will start. We'll see. I don't have 100% confidence as I already have a lost riding season. Going up for sale when it does.

The next time you look at the dictionary and the word perseverance you will see a picture of me next to the definition.

After pulling the motor four times the bike is finally running, and running GOOD. New stator, new starter, perfectly timed. I have cleaned the carbs, flushed the cooling system, checked the valves and put in a new solenoid with a modern fuse.

I also forfeited the riding season.

Now the bike is going up for sale. Not sure of how I am going to approach that yet and I would appreciate your input for a sale price. As you can see it is a beauty.

IMG_0783_1.jpg

66k on the odometer, 23k on the motor. So much new stuff that it would break the internet listing everything. I need something newer and without carburetors.Like the country fishing song says, "I'm gonna miss her", but it is time to move on. Someone give me a good offer.

Someone give me a good offer.

I would suggest starting a new thread in the for-sale forum with good pics as a place to start. Not all forums are read by every member down to the last page so many will not know the bike is for sale.