engine rebuild,worth doing?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crusierlover

Reaction score
I bought a 78 with a 1100 motor in it,not sure what year.The bike has almost no value as it is.The top tank shelter piece is missing.No saddlebags or trunk.The headlight I guess was inside a fairing, its gone.It has the good looking wheels,not the comstars.So all the chassis is rolling,missing the plastic which i was going to discard anyway.But, the carbs are off, have been for a long time.he left it outside uncovered.So all the sparkplug holes and carb mount holes are uncovered.Might have been rained in a million times,who knows? I have found engines on ebay, but this bike is probably not worth fixing.But here is my question: I saw one link where a guy completely rebuilt an engine,all new parts.Cost $2400.The parts are more than 2 whole bikes might cost.Is it worth rebuilding a motor?practicality says no.I find a good looking bike with say 50,000 miles for 1500-2000 and it runs for another 50,000 miles.Thats the way to go.I suspect if I tore this engine apart it would be pure rust.I was thinking about doing it just to learn how they are put together.Your input will be appreciated.

I'd get a good motor and install that first. Get the bike road ready. Then tear down the old motor and see what you have. 1000,1100,1200 motors all fit. Some adaptations may need done.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=179531#p179531:2ojeo4cf said:
slabghost » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:57 am[/url]":2ojeo4cf]
I'd get a good motor and install that first. Get the bike road ready. Then tear down the old motor and see what you have. 1000,1100,1200 motors all fit. Some adaptations may need done.

most likely I will buy a different bike and use this for parts.I wonder just how much a rebuild would cost me? I would think the cylinder block after honing would be ok.At least probably new rings,split the case and do crank and rodbearings,of course any new gaskets and seals,and if the oil pump can be found replace it.Although i have have never heard of one failing with bikes that had 200,000 miles on them.Then on the head the valves stems and seats would need attention. I have a daily rider, a harley.But costing out a rebuild is interesting.I wonder if i could do it economically to make it feasible.If so,I would have a lifetime engine.But the nonrebuilt daily runners are pretty much that way already.

My '82 1100 was left outside for 12 years before I got it. The engine was blown (broken piston rod), but even with the carbs on and intact, the engine was rusted pretty bad inside and nearly impossible to get apart. I went with an '81 engine from a parts bike initially, but that one turned out to have over 169k miles on it with worn out rod and main bearings. I then found an '83 engine with 53k on it and it has been in the bike since with nearly 35k more miles put on it.

Me, I would not bother with the engine that sat open to the weather. There are still many good, cheap running engines out there that will bolt right up!

'82 when I got it:
image.php

'82 engine:
image.php

'81 engine:
image.php

'83 engine from Ebay:
image.php

Same '83 engine painted;
image.php

Installed:
image.php

Most recent change of color but still running like a champ!
image.php

I priced out a full rebuild about 5 years ago in the range of $800, that is if you can find the main and rod bearings. Pistons are another story all together if you wanted to bore oversized. I'm pretty sure the $800 included all new valve guides and seals.
There is a certain fun aspect to rebuilding you don't get from swapping in another engine.

Steve83 here rebuilt one. Would be interesting to hear from him what all he did and the cost.

thanks guys.Yes I know I could buy another bike or another engine and be on my way.But I successfully rebuilt a gs1000 and several car and truck motors before so doing it intrigues me.Once i take it apart if it looks totally trashed then it will become scrap iron.I will use the frame,wheels,etc as needed.There is a guy somewhere I have found that is mass producing again main bearing shells.He was a rebuilder,could never find them, so he found a company that would make them from scratch.expensive for his, but where else are you going to find them.I also read where one guy took bearings from a honda civic and used them.I bet that approach is possible.However, 2 of the mains have oil holes and 2 do not.

mcgoverns before picture is much like what i have.Mine is not as rusty,but close.Plus I od not have carbs.I was going to go single carb solex.

It seems you indeed plan to do this. If so please post your finds and progress with pics included. I for one would enjoy following along. I'm sure there are modifications you can do along the way that can improve performance over stock. Just using the 75-77 cams will gain you performance. While you are in there it is possible to install 83 gearing or 1000 gearing or possibly a mix of your choice. I've often thought of such a build but have never attempted it.

I wish I'd kept track of the cost of the rebuild on my '83. It took me a while to decide what I wanted to do, since I had 3 trashed engines to choose parts from. I went a bit crazy on Ebay, buying extra pistons, heads, carbs, clutch pack, etc.

I'm guessing that if I'd stuck with only the '83 parts, the rebuild would've cost well under $1,000, probably closer to $850. It certainly would've been cheaper and easier to throw a used engine into it, but I enjoy wrenching more than riding, and I got the bike as a project anyway. Add the nearly orgasmic feeling when the new engine fired right up, and it was well worth it to me.

I'll go through my notes and try to come up with the cost. I did replace all the bearings - mains, rods, transmission shafts, alternator, output, and ignition pulser rotor shafts, and timing belt tensioners. The heads were cleaned up, no machine work was needed. The case was cleaned and honed. New rings, gaskets, and every seal was installed. Everything measured within specs - I got lucky. The main and rod bearings were all coded brown (II, II, II...B, B, B...2, 2, 2) and I was eventually able to locate them - lucky again! I believe the water pump was the most expensive single part. The bearings were sold separately, since there could be several thicknesses used during the factory assembly. Honda claims that the crank cannot be machined...I assume they're nitrated. There were many frustrations along the way, but in the end, it was a very satisfying job.

As a side note, I just discovered that the guy I sold the bike to has decided to sell it. Looking through Craigslist, I saw the first pic and thought it looked a lot like my '83. Then I saw my Corvair in the background of the next pic, and sure enough! I wish I had the funds to buy it back! Oh well...

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mc ... 75958.html

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=179542#p179542:2bruz289 said:
dan filipi » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:27 am[/url]":2bruz289]
I'd love to follow along too, not many have done a full on rebuild.

yes

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=179559#p179559:1hugl71q said:
Ansimp » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:14 pm[/url]":1hugl71q]
Is this the new bearing shells that you are referring to?
https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/v ... 78#p178149

I have to say,do all that work then sell it? It looks great.I have had harleys with $17,000 in them that would not be as good a bike as the one you sold.Oh well, everyone has different ways of doing things.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=179542#p179542:1te7qarh said:
dan filipi » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:27 am[/url]":1te7qarh]
I'd love to follow along too, not many have done a full on rebuild.

yes,those are the 1000.I guess I am sol with the 1100.I am still a fulltime night shift employee as is my friend allen.But once we start I will post lots of pictures.

Maybe a trike kit for the 83 Steve? :builder:
It really looks beautiful. :clapping: :salute:
Do you think that it has a new AGM or is that the same one we put in? Touch wood, my one is still going strong in the Rats Nest. :good:
Seems cheap compared to Dad's 82...

hey.Cant get to bike for a few days.If the motor is locked up here is my plan,what do you think?1.put some oil down each sparkplug hole.Wait a day.If not go then use 50/50 mix acetone and transmission fluid.3. If no go then marvel mystery oil.Repeat and wait.I dont want to put some cheater bar on the crank and force anything.First after some oil in holes I will put a 12mm wrench on the back and see what happens.

I would let your magic mix set for a few days to a week before I was too excited about trying to rotate it.

Not sure about using acetone, it might ruin seals and gaskets if it gets into the crankcase. PB Blaster works good. Also, at least one cylinder will have an open exhaust valve, so it won't hold much magic mix. Evapo-Rust will dissolve the rust like magic - love the stuff!