Finishing Touches - Opinions Needed

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should this front fender be chrome or black?

• Chrome

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Black

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Take it back off

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

desertrefugee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finished my '78 make-over a couple of years ago and have put about 10,000 miles on it since then. Almost as many as the Valkyrie and it's never been out of the state!

At the time, I had decided that I was not going to go with a front fender. But, the more I thought about it, the more I decided that I wanted one to finish it off. There are lots of choices, some more expensive than others, but I settled on an early CB900 Custom chrome fender - mainly because, as has become clear the last few days, I'm a cheap son of a gun.

Paid $30 shipped for the fender. It was advertised as having "pitting". The topside chrome turned out to be almost perfect with only a couple of scratches in obscure places. The "pitting" he was apparently referring to was UNDERNEATH. I wirebrushed it, primed and sealed it. Done. The pitting he advertised didn't bother me because my plan all along was to sandblast it and paint it to match the rest of the bike.

Until I saw the chrome. You know how I am about chrome. (Think Valkyrie).

Anyway, I've looked around and I do see examples with painted rears and still with chromed front fenders. I may run it this way for a while, but I thought I'd ask you guys what you thought.

Well? Chrome or Black?

IMG_4586.JPG

IMG_4587.JPG

I like the chrome! :good:
But then I now also own a Valkyrie... :smilie_happy:

:headscratch:

Welp. You guys are illustrating my indecision. Almost split in the opinion poll here. Slight edge to chrome, but plenty of black votes. At first, I had no doubt that I'd paint it. I still think I will, but as noted, I believe I'll keep the chrome for just a bit. (Mainly because I was able to bolt it on and go. I wasn't expecting that.)

I do appreciate you guys providing input. I really didn't expect so many votes to keep the chrome. Pleasantly surprised by that.

I'm off for a Saturday tour of rural Southern Arizona with my sweetie on the Valk. Gonna go see an old bridge. Sound boring? It's not the destination...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=183919#p183919:2slblk4u said:
dan filipi » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:58 am[/url]":2slblk4u]
Could wrap it while preserving the chrome.
Thats what I was thinking, would be an easy cheap wrap, could do it in matte black,black chrome ..or go crazy with camo or unicorns. :mrgreen:
If you go wrap get a real good quality wrap, many utube vids you can watch on the subject.

Keep it chrome. I love the look of your bike. Black would be ok, but chrome is custom and your bike is custom. Nice ride

Thanks again for all the comments and opinions. Really appreciated. Sounds like either way, it will not look too horrible!

Regarding the wrap idea. Cheap enough, but I took a look at my favorite resource - youtube.

This clip is giving me reason for pause:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47wRf6ggEnk

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47wRf6ggEnk[/video]