1995 GL1500 SE 20th Anniversary Canadian Edition

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rednaxs60

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had first ride today. Linked brakes were a bit odd and almost non-existent. Full pedal travel. Did work but not the best. Took my time and gave myself lots of room. Bled the linked brakes first thing when I got it home. Brakes are better but need to be bled again. Have read that these are notorious for being softer than one would expect. Will be tackling these over the next couple of weeks - thinking need to be bled a couple of times to get the air out completely - fluid was also turning a bit syrupy. Think a lot has to do with sitting and not being used, and the pads are approximately 50%. Right front next on the hit list, then the clutch.

Tire pressure was checked late this afternoon. Standard Honda specs - will be keeping the tire pressure at 40-42 PSI. This will be the last set of tires to use external weights.

Ride was quite nice though. Will have to read up on the air suspension and how to set it as it was a sometimes harsh and didn't absorb the bump(s). Even so, suspension upgrade before next year will be in order. Took the foot board and heel/toe shifter off when I got home - prefer the OEM pegs and shifter.

Took it for a ride early evening and the headlight is much better than the 1200. It has a daytime modulator. The PO has added the ring of fire on the front, lighting under the saddlebags. lighting around the front engine guard, and small spots under the front fairings. Need to do a picture and post. Asked Sonya to come look, I would not have done this but the lights are there, guess I'll live with it for a while. Will also check to determine which lights are LED. The PO mentioned that he had replaced the alternator, but with the OEM 40 amp model.

Miss the gear indicator of the 1200. Remember this from my ex-1800. Have read about mods on line. Will be looking into this. Also want/need a voltage display of some form. Have the requisite oil light. 1200 has an oil pressure/temp indicator.

Have ordered the shifter brace from Cyclemax and received an interesting email back from Randy at Cyclemax. The payment and shipping addresses were different so they segregate these, do some research and send an email requesting confirmation that all is well - an extra security step that I don't mind, but first time I've had this issue. Good on them for doing this. Lots of play in the shift lever and I believe the oil seal is FUBAR and needs replacement. Ordered the shifter brace with the shifter oil seal.

Seat position for a 6'2" fellow is quite comfortable and with highway pegs, allows one to move around a bit. Found the 1500 a bit more solid in the corners than the 1200. The 1200 has some flex in the front that can affect the rear travel as well.

Good torque that allows one to not be in the appropriate gear, much like my ex-1800. It likes fuel a lot more than the 1200 does. Will be putting a few tanks through with Yamalube Ring Free additive to clean out the system. Expect the engine to operate better as it gets used more.

Found it to be quieter than the 1200. Extra couple of cylinders makes a difference.

Sonya had a sit this evening and with the adjustable passenger foot boards found the seating quite nice. She's looking forward to her first ride.

The PO had changed the seat because it had a tear in the riders right side. The replacement is not the same colour so I'm going to find a shop to sew in a new piece. Also like the original seat as it is embossed with the Canadian Edition. When I do this may ask for a gel pad to be put in as well.

More to follow. Cheers

Before we get into the should be done category, have a list of items that need to be addressed.

New timing belts
Oil change - PO used synthetic
Coolant change
New brake pads
Look into alternator upgrade
Suspension upgrade - I look at this as a safety issue as well
Check all add on wiring to determine how it was done
Have a trailer hitch to install - not to tow a trailer - I use it for a small hitch receiver to carry a small box containing bike cover and small items like this. Gives a bit more room in the saddlebags and trunk.
Spark plugs
Filters - air/sub-air/cruise air

I'll probably think of more as I go.

Cheers

Gotta have 2 bikes. I like it that these are anniversary editions as well. Since I'm an old codger and ride two up with Sonya quite often, a Valk would not have met the need.

Going to let me do some good work on the 1200. Have read on the forums where riders have compared the 1200/1500 and 1800, and quite often it is mentioned that the 1200 was the favorite so in keeping with that mindset, keeping my '85 LTD.

Cheers

Out for a two up ride with Sonya. Had the air up to about 2.5 kg/cubic cm (about 36 pounds). Worked well. Bike was extremely well behaved and stable with the two of us on it. Having done some 60,000 Kms on my ex-1800, I would have to say that right out of the box with what I would say is a tired suspension, this 1500 actually rivals the 1800.

This 1500 holds a line very nicely, and is not affected by lines in the road. Lots of torque for acceleration. I can see why a lot of riders do not want to upgrade.

Find the seat and ergonomics of the 1500 cockpit quite nice. The seat is comfortable.

Would like to have a shift indicator. Will take a bit of time to get back to knowing what gear I'm in depending on speed and RPM.

Have bled the brakes and will be doing the same for the clutch. Have ordered a new air filter and the sub and cruise filters as well. Be buying new plugs, ordering up timing belts and possibly new timing belt idlers. Fuel filter is probably a good item to replace as well. Will do a screen over the air intake as well.

Want to put together a maintenance package that will take advantage of having the plastics off.

More to follow.

Cheers

Have been doing minor maintenance since I got the '95. Clutch and brake fluids are changed. Have ordered and received new timing belts. The PO mentioned that these had been changed prior to his ownership, but good peace of mind items. New fuel filter on way as are new rear Progressive air chocks, and front Progressive fork springs.

Suspension being upgraded because of age and I would like to enjoy any change/upgrade instead of doing a change/upgrade and then selling. Time and the bike itself take a toll on parts such as this.

More to follow.

Cheers

Forgot to mention that the 1500 is the easiest of the three models, 1200/1500/1800, to do a clutch fluid change on. Honda installed a pipe extension that brings the bleed screw out to the side of the engine. On the 1200, the bleed screw is at the clutch slave, and the 1800 has to have the front end plastic and some parts removed to get at the bleed screw. Speed bleeders do help as well.

Cheers

Going to rebuild the front forks when I change the oil and replace springs. Checked prices for the slider and guide bushings, and the fork seal kit from Honda. For two forks, approximately $150.00 plus tax CDN. From All Balls, two forks, $59.00 plus tax CDN - local dealer would be $70.00 plus tax CDN for the same. Have used All Balls products for other items such as steering stem bearings on my 1200 and found them to be quite good. Like to support local when I can.

Cheers

Just back from a short ride up island of some 300 Kms or so and thought I'd do some pontificating on the 1500.

Thinking back to my ex-1800 and how I used to get pinched between the shoulder blades and how close my knees were to the front fairing, I'm pleasantly pleased that the 1500 straight off the floor has lots of room for the legs and has a better ergonomic fit than the 1800 for us taller riders. I found this to be true of the 1200 as well.

I checked the fuel economy today as well. So far city/highway is approximately 14/15 Kms per litre and on the highway 16 Kms per litre (with a bit of fooling around stretching the RPMs a bit). Won't go into conversion because the USG is smaller than the imperial gallon. Hoping that this will improve as I use the bike.

The stock seat is quite comfortable as is. The seat covering is starting to show its age and where the embroidered stamping is there are a few small holes. Have been looking at replacement covers - quite reasonable.

More to follow.

Cheers

I don't have a 1500 wing, but your fuel economy sounds pretty dang good. I'd LOVE to get that sort of economy with my Valkyrie. I think 36 MPG (~15 kms/ltr) is the absolute best I've ever gotten. I'm usually 32-34 MPG. My carbs have been jetted for the pipes, however, and I don't complain about the economy so much as the range. There have been a couple of pucker moments in desolate stretches. Enough that I now carry a spare fuel cell when I know I'll be "at risk" on a trip.

I do love the flat six design. Honda nailed it.

+1 on 6 carbies are thirstier than 2 especially with richer jetting ( Val’s PO had the exhaust and carbies modified as well) :yes: :whistling:

Did a quick look on the web for throttle body fuel injection. Remember this from the before days when FI was just coming on line. Even considered this for my '65 Plymouth Fury 318. Not a lot of benefit for the dollars you would spend. Good thought though.

Ernest, Ernest, Ernest. Take a deep breath. Put on some Deep Purple. Succumb to the carburetor. Allow its inefficiencies to wash over your being. Smell the raw gasoline. Tell your wife she looks groovy.

And go ride that '95.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=205206#p205206:2y9bmqhv said:
desertrefugee » 16 minutes ago[/url]":2y9bmqhv]
Ernest, Ernest, Ernest. Take a deep breath. Put on some Deep Purple. Succumb to the carburetor. Allow its inefficiencies to wash over your being. Smell the raw gasoline. Tell your wife she looks groovy.

And go ride that '95.

I needed a good chuckle. Still cool enough to ride the '95 up here. :music: :music: Need some Uriah Heep (Come Away Melinda was my favourite), Procol Harem, got me a bike that's a whiter shade of pale, and Queen, besides who wants to live forever, and I need to follow the White Rabbit down the proverbial rabbit hole. I'm thinking I'll be around until the Leafs win the Cup again. Cheers

Looking for a CT for my 1500. Can get the Austone 175R16 out of Ontario for $224.00. Checked the difference between this and a US purchase and with exchange about $10.00 difference, but haven't added duty/taxes/shipping. Will be on the shopping list before next year. The company is out of Hawkesbury & Vankleek Hill, Ontario, Canada. The company does ship.

Cheers

Shifter Brace showed up from Cyclemax today with shifter oil seal. Expected something a bit larger, but as long as it does the job.

Picking up air filters and the front fork kits as well this week. Should have the fork springs and new air shocks by end week as well. Next week will be installing all the parts. Will also look at doing the air dryer desiccant while I have the rear off.

A friend has been window shopping and looking at GWs. We've had a good chat about the 1500/1800 pros and cons. He has a Triumph Rocket III touring and had a bolt in the internal shifter mechanism come loose and drop into the sump, no damage to the bike. While the motor is apart he is also changing the stator. A few of the windings are blackish in colour. Back to the GW issue, we have discussed pros and cons, and for us taller riders, he's 6'4" or so, the 1500 stock off the floor is a better ergonomic fit than the 1800. Huge issue when touring, or riding in your neighbourhood. Yes you can get an aftermarket seat, or have the seat customized for the rider, but for us poor Canadians this is not a small feat considering exchange, duty and other issues.

We had a good chat and he has decided to stay with his Triumph. He was concerned about reliability and I mentioned there are no guarantees with new, newer or older bikes. The best you can do is keep everything in as good condition as possible and role with the punches so to speak.

Back to my '95, looking forward to getting the work done and enjoying the fruits of my labour.

Cheers

Did a short ride up island of some 300 Kms or so and thought I'd do some pontificating on the 1500.

Thinking back to my ex-1800 and how I used to get pinched between the shoulder blades and how close my knees were to the front fairing, I'm pleasantly pleased that the 1500 straight off the floor has lots of room for the legs and has a better ergonomic fit than the 1800 for us taller riders. I found this to be true of the 1200 as well.

I checked the fuel economy today as well. So far city/highway is approximately 14/15 Kms per litre and on the highway 16 Kms per litre (with a bit of fooling around stretching the RPMs a bit). Won't go into conversion because the USG is smaller than the imperial gallon. Hoping that this will improve as I use the bike.

The stock seat is quite comfortable as is. The seat covering is starting to show its age and where the embroidered stamping is there are a few small holes. Have been looking at replacement covers - quite reasonable.

More to follow.

Cheers

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=205308#p205308:209zt20g said:
Rednaxs60 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:37 am[/url]":209zt20g]
Shifter Brace showed up from Cyclemax today with shifter oil seal. Expected something a bit larger, but as long as it does the job.

Picking up air filters and the front fork kits as well this week. Should have the fork springs and new air shocks by end week as well. Next week will be installing all the parts. Will also look at doing the air dryer desiccant while I have the rear off.

A friend has been window shopping and looking at GWs. We've had a good chat about the 1500/1800 pros and cons. He has a Triumph Rocket III touring and had a bolt in the internal shifter mechanism come loose and drop into the sump, no damage to the bike. While the motor is apart he is also changing the stator. A few of the windings are blackish in colour. Back to the GW issue, we have discussed pros and cons, and for us taller riders, he's 6'4" or so, the 1500 stock off the floor is a better ergonomic fit than the 1800. Huge issue when touring, or riding in your neighbourhood. Yes you can get an aftermarket seat, or have the seat customized for the rider, but for us poor Canadians this is not a small feat considering exchange, duty and other issues.

We had a good chat and he has decided to stay with his Triumph. He was concerned about reliability and I mentioned there are no guarantees with new, newer or older bikes. The best you can do is keep everything in as good condition as possible and role with the punches so to speak.

Back to my '95, looking forward to getting the work done and enjoying the fruits of my labour.

Cheers
You should know by now Ernest that a Honda is much more reliable than a Triumph!! :smilie_happy: