My build (another one)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianstaley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay so so far, my bike has come from Holland where I used to live, it had been stored in my garage there for about 15 years. She was bought second hand and I used her for about a 6 months, then winter set in and she got stored. So this year (summer) I went over and got her, brought her back to the UK where she is now in my lock up garage and being striped out. She was a dressed bike with a Vetter fairing and rear boxes, (the fairing is still in Holland).

So I thought I would start this off with a few pictures of what has been done, bought ETC, I will add to this as I go along. So it may seem illogical to you but things have been done in this order for a reason.

So the first picture bringing her over from Holland.

Ready to go.

So now she is back, the first night she was put to bed, she got stolen; luckily after a week I got her back, so for now on I will be posting a lot of pictures. There won't be many how to's or descriptions of what I did. So how you enjoy it.

Ian :builder:

Thanks, the tow bar is simple, if enough interest I will take some pics of it, the only problem I had was lifting the bike on the framework. So as a continuation look what came in the post today from Tom.

All I need now is the manifold. :lust:

So I have been doing stuff on the periphery so to speak. So last week I ripped of the old vinyl of the top tank cover. that went off with the false tank cage for blasting and powder coat, the cage is done in Ivory and the tank cover is black. that will be fitted with a new foam backed vinyl (black), but I also got the tank emblem vapour blasted, but it is real el cheapo metal, oh and it is painted, how they did that I don't know.

So first picture is the emblem as blasted and you can see gold paint residue.

the next few pics show it painted, I used an Airbrush to paint it gold using Humbrol enamel paint, and I would like to get some feed back, criticism is all good don't mind if it is good or bad it all helps, but I may not be satisfied myself after I put some clear on it and may completely re do it (practise makes perfect).

and finished.....

Okay so I also got one of my new meters yesterday, the volt meter to replace the old one that is TOTAL toast. this is the old one

real rusty......

and now the new from the back

and from the front....

So this is the old vinyl that I took off the top...

And this is the top resting on the new vinyl when it is done it will be one here.

I have also been polishing the stainless steel Motad exhaust I got second hand, but that's for the morning. it's late here 22:10.

Ian :moped:

If the eagle isn't right. You shouldn't need to blast it again. Should be able to wash off the paint with acetone.

Never thought of that, thanks, but here is the top coated eagle and the brush I picked out the detail with compared to a tooth pick.

and the brush Only used for the black and the red, the top clear was done with an Air Brush like the gold.

Looking good, I really like the guages. I am no expert but I absorb much information on the GL and I heard they cant or shouldnt be towed on the rear wheel, something about a seal that needs oil splashed on by the running motor, could be the source was wrong, I dont know for sure.
Good luck with your build.

A good job on your top. The cement is hard to remove. I wish that I had cleaned off and painted the underside of mine, now. I cleaned and primed the top side, then spray-glue and vinyl. I do like the way the vinyl came out. Haven't attacked the bird yet.
uploadfromtaptalk1383521739906.jpg

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2

So now I have done my top cover, I am not so happy with it to be honest, I thought it would have come out better.

I love the brown cover done by Pidjones that looks great so here is my maybe 1st effort

It may be because I used a foam backed vinyl, the foam is about 3mm say the makers.and I didn't take off the foam on the edges maybe that was a mistake, but this is my first ever effort of doing this sort of work hence I like the criticism.

If it looks crap please say so as I have about another 1.5 sq meters of the black stuff :yahoo: , and if you can give some pointers always want to learn.

Ian :doh: