Swapping Trunks!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgovern61

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Former '82 GL1100 "The Slug"
Last September, I purchased a NOS set of quick release Hondaline side bags to replace my aging ones. They are brand spankin new! Honda paint Cosmos Black Metallic with the original 1982 Honda orange and gold decal pinstriping.

This past January, I aquired a brand spankin new GL1100 Interstate trunk that is also Honda Cosmos Black Metallic and OEM pinstriping. The only issue I had is the Interstate trunk does not fit on the Hondaline frame so I needed an Interstate trunk rack.

Couple a weekends ago, my daughter and I took a nice trip up to PA to visit Brianinpa and he had an old used Interstate trunk rack! :yahoo: :thanks:

Now, it is time to start making some modifications! :yes: :whip:

First off, here is a pic of the bike and bags in their current condition:

image.php

The trunk has seen better days:

image.php

The new bags and new trunk:

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

First up, start modifications to the Interstate trunk rack to allow it to set on the Hondaline rack:

image.php

image.php

Still need to cut off these little nubs!

image.php

image.php

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=170486#p170486:2nfcxddh said:
brianinpa » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:43 pm[/url]":2nfcxddh]
That isn't done yet? :shock:

:BigGrin:
Goin as fast as I can!! :salute: :music2: :cheeky:

Here is the base of the Hondaline rack with the Hondaline trunk rack removed:

image.php

image.php

I have gone over to Lowe's and picked up some 1/4" x 2" steel flat bar. I have cut the flat bar to fit to the edge of the new rack which overlaps the Hondaline rack on either side by nearly an inch on each side. I have drilled 2 holes in each flat bar to allow bolts to hold it in the original reinforced holes in the rack.

Bolted down the flat bar and temporarily placed the rack on for fit up. One thing that my girls will be happy about, the new trunk sits nearly 5" further back than the Hondaline trunk which is going to give them a lot more room behind my back rest. Here are pics showing the difference.

Old trunk:

image.php

New trunk:

image.php

This is as far as I got tonight. Next up, decide the best place to secure the new rack and how far to cut back the bars of the new rack so as to not interfere with the passenger seat.

With the extra room back there, I plan on changing the seat. I have an old '82 1100 seat that I am going to recover. The new cover has the back support for driver AND passenger.

This bike is still the inspiration for that!

image.php

image.php

I would NOT put holes in that new trunk for that or ANY rack. :nea: Personal belief is it's too weak to load, & wind resistance adds stress, :headscratch: seen a lot of cracked trunk lids. :roll:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=170550#p170550:32ryh3lj said:
Denver » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:00 pm[/url]":32ryh3lj]
I would NOT put holes in that new trunk for that or ANY rack. :nea: Personal belief is it's too weak to load, & wind resistance adds stress, :headscratch: seen a lot of cracked trunk lids. :roll:
Nope, no holes in the trunk. That is why I am modifying an Interstate rack to fit the Hondaline rack. The trunk still connects to the rack same as it did before.

Got a chance to finish this project up over the weekend! Cut and installed the flat bar, ground off the sharp edges, removed the mill scale, primed and painted them.

image.php

image.php

image.php

Change the bolts since I realized the nuts only had a few threads in them from the bolts being just a touch short. Cleaned off all of the old grey paint that was on there and the rack polished up with steel wool very nicely! Installed the rack and tightened everything down. Next up, cut back the length of the rack so that it does not cause the passenger leg issues.

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

Next up, time to install the brake lights and add the radio back in. Here are the wires for the brake lights plus the quick disconnect bullet connectors so that the trunk can still be removed without re-wiring everything.

image.php

image.php

Brake lights installed:

image.php

image.php

Drilled a new access hole, installed a rubber grommet and ran the wires for the radio. Same quick disconnects as before:

image.php

image.php

image.php

Everything back together and prep the bike and trailer to head to New York for work!

image.php