Speaking of mounting GL1000 bags...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertrefugee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a couple of topics on mounting bags on old 'wings, but what about old 'wings that have been modified? Most of my extended road trips are done on the Valkyrie, but there are plenty of overnighters coming up with cooler weather and I'd love to take my GL1000. More nimble, better on fuel and (arguably) more fun to ride. My longest trips on this one have been day trips of less than 300 miles out and back.

But, it's got a Darkwing seat and tail section on it, and I suspect that might cause some fitment issues. I'm not familiar enough with the mounting options of the various early 3rd party bags to know if I should risk popping for a set if they come up. They'd have to be hard bags. I'm not interested in soft/leather/throw-overs. I think I'd really enjoy getting the ole girl out to really stretch her legs.

Does anyone know if I could mount bags to a GL1000 with Darkwing tail without hacking or scraping up the paintwork?

Attachments

• IMG_2774.JPG
    IMG_2774.JPG
    392.7 KB · Views: 366
looks to be a challenge to some degree ...not much there ...pipes are short ..might melt hard bag if to close ...love the look ...ive never once seen one with bags yet ....

I suppose that would depend on the mounting hardware for the bags selected. I expect just about any choice will need some modification.

Yeah, that's exactly why I'm asking, Joe. You nailed the issues. Exhaust and mounting rails. For sure, they wouldn't be on there permanently. It'd just be a set for weekend trips.

I'm itching to take another trip up to the Zuni Indian Reservation in NW New Mexico. Some stuff up there I missed last time through on the Valk. (Valkyries don't make such good dirt road runners).

Just another probably easier option for you.
On bikes I've had like naked or sportbikes I have equipped them with a Givi removable trunk to tour. They are quickly removable, come in all type sizes and colors etc. and can be used like suitcase and carry into the motel if need be.
If you go that route you would likely need a generic mount and have to modify it to your custom.

You could put soft bags that won't melt that have a wide strap under the seat. Mine had quick release plastic connectors like on snow gear. The wide strap always stayed under the seat whether the bags were attached or not. You could just move them a little more forward under the seat than normal to clear the exhaust.

image.php

~O~

Thanks for the input, guys. And Terry - thank you for 30 minutes of my life I'll never get back. (I just spent some time over on Givi's web site). I actually like the notion of a top trunk that goes on and off easily. Except that I think I might face the same issues with a trunk that bags present on this thing. I will poke at both from a hardware/mounting scheme standpoint. Heck, it almost might be easier to source a stock fender and another seat and consider a quick-change of personality for traveling. For sure, no matter which approach got employed, it'll be a royal PIA to do it.

Pretty much what I expected, but was hoping there might be an easy way. Kinda what I get for going this route. Heck, I sold off pristine fenders, seat and pipes. Who knew?

if it matters any ...the bike super looking ...great build ....im sure there is a way to accomplish your goal .....maybe in way that keeps bike looking super ...im in my own mess at the moment changing bike around ...hopefully we both come ok :shock: :hihihi:

if it matters any ...the bike super looking ...great build ....im sure there is a way to accomplish your goal .....maybe in way that keeps bike looking super ...im in my own mess at the moment changing bike around ...hopefully we both come ok :shock: :hihihi:

Thanks, Joe. I do appreciate it. I cannot take full credit though. I stole ideas from several bikes out in internetland and got a couple of ideas over on NGW. Don't tell anybody, but it kinda seems like the folks over here are more down-to-earth. I feel a lot more comfortable here.

(Valkyries don't make such good dirt road runners).----- and gl1000's are--lol

I suppose that was a bit silly. But, consider this, I took that Valkyrie across the spine of the Chiricahua Monument. (Don't ask, it seemed like a good idea at the time. My buddy was on his '86 Aspencade. A couple of fools. I broke a shock mount on the Valk on that little excursion. Some bailing wire in Wilcox and I finished our 1000 mile tour of Eastern Arizona!

Just to put a face on my stupidity (I have no shame). Check out 42 across the Chiricahua. We rode that. Don't make a habit of stuff like that, but I have NO DOUBT, the 1000 would have felt a lot more comfortable on that particular adventure.

<<EDIT: Images are better interpreted from bottom up. >>

Attachments

• Chiricahua Wide.jpg
    Chiricahua Wide.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 313
  • Chiricahua Close.jpg
    Chiricahua Close.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_2853.jpg
    IMG_2853.jpg
    470.3 KB · Views: 313
  • AZ Tour.png
    AZ Tour.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 315
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=178469#p178469:2pbniqr2 said:
ekvh » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:10 pm[/url]":2pbniqr2]
(Valkyries don't make such good dirt road runners).----- and gl1000's are--lol
The only thing about dirt roads that Valkyries don't like is the cleaning afterwards. :smilie_happy:
Val handles the dreaded driveway well and when we went to my mates old place north of Kyogle it handled a couple of Ks with out any hassles. The only concern for me was stone chips etc to the bling as well as the cleaning afterwards. That being said I wouldn't want to drop her in soft sand etc but I believe the big feet ( tires) are an advantage even with all that extra weight.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=178466#p178466:3saod28i said:
desertrefugee » Yesterday, 8:55 pm[/url]":3saod28i]
Pretty much what I expected, but was hoping there might be an easy way.

I would think the easy way would be the largest tank bag you can stand and a bag on the rear seat or on your back. Unless you're carrying a lot of stuff you should be able to get by with that. You won't be able to carry the case of beer easily :smilie_happy:

I love my Vetter side panniers ( and my windjammer and top box ) with the convenience for key unlocking, handy carrying and angled side door for easy loading. I don't know how they would look on your bike with the cafe tail but I think it would be worth an experiment to see whether you can live with them. You may need extra flashers on the bags which would require a quick disconect plug assembly. Here are some photos of the mounting frame on the Rats Nest which may give you and idea if they are possible to mount on your bike.

I truly appreciate the ideas and suggestions.

It seems that folks are thinking of me <sniff>. One of our illustrious members kindly alerted me to a pair of decent aftermarket bags on fleabay for a decent price.

I sprung for them.

I've seen these before, but don't remember the manufacturer. Maybe Chinese. Since they won't be doing full-time duty, I figured "what the heck", I'll take a shot and see how they line up. The rounded contours won't be perfect with the angular lines of my current tail section, but in this case, it's function over form.

Wish me luck.

Attachments

• bags.jpg
    bags.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 300
Really hard to say how they'll look until putting them in position and stepping back for a look.....wait..I mean taking a couple pictures and posting them here so we can see. :mrgreen:

On a slightly different note...
Where did you get the moveable sissy bar? That is exactly what I am looking for. Anyone have one for sale or know where to get one?

image.php