hooch blew a head gasket

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joedrum

Supporting Member
Reaction score
pics ...
image.php

got the backyard open air set up and in operation

image.php

will probalbly do bothsides ....battery is disconnected ..work has started . :builder: :BigGrin:

pics ...
image.php

this is the first sight ...hooch has been together yrs ....pistons look a bit rich ...but it has to be close ..roughly 50 - 50 on piston deposits on pistons ..also looks like i dintnt travel far after gasket blew

image.php

this is the head side of the gasket ..looks rather good and flat ..some goo totally missing from gasket ...as you ca see the metal center

image.php

this is the block side of the gasket ...here tells the story ...you can see lots of goo missing and swells up ...seems to swell up first then break up into colling sytem ...trashing up things through out ...this is why i hate goo gasket ...and i want to go cooper ...nothing to trash up cooling system

image.php

pic of gasket still on head before removing ...

I've done two sets of head gaskets, couldn't get them to tell me anything about why they failed. Is "goo" the normal gasket style (got mine from Vesrah), Does a copper gasket look like the name?

pics...other side ...
image.php

left the plugs in this head ...looks better than the other side ...making me think the other side was seeping a bit ever so lightly ...before it really let go enough to make it run shitty...i can see where it was starting to clean the piston some on the one cylinder and other was moist ...rich also from declining operation ...it seems to me ..you can see plug color just as i saw it first here ...

image.php

head side

image.php

block side ...you can see gasket is better than other side ..but it still swelling and flaking into cooling system ...i will have to flush everything ...i dont like this crap at all going on ..honda or whoever ..your goo gaskets suck and are no good for the cooling system ...

image.php

im rather happy with the looks of things ...it time to clean thing up a bit ..and try to fine non goo gaskets ..there just not up to my standards at all...

pics
image.php

very pleased with the grab bar shovel king induction system i put on hooch ..see no problems here ...and it been going years now ..

image.php

very pleased with the joedrum cool charge system on the weber copy 32-34 motorcraft set up...the ply gasket never leaked . and kept getting them tighter along the way ..great system ..hooch eats it up

Looks like most I've seen. I have wondered if the small gap between the two cylinders. They are connected half inch or so below the deck. Since most go right there, I've wondered about possible vibrations between the jugs could somehow be causing this.

I used 1000 torque settings. The gaskets have to be annealed before use. Propane torch, heat with widest flame and watch color changes until blu/green, then a orange/red. Careful because it can turn into a puddle quickly at this stage. Place in a tray of room temp water. Unlike steel when copper is quickly cooled it gets softer. Search YouTube for vids. It probably tells a lot more than I did. I hung mine on a wire with a second wire on the other side so that when it was hot, I could place it flat and uniformly into a tray of water.

I'll see if I can find the annealing instructions.
Copper Gasket Installation Instructions

While copper is an excellent gasket material, it does require special attention to achieve a long lasting seal. For best results, follow the installation instructions detailed below.

1.​Check the fit of the gasket. If any dimensions are out of tolerance, don’t hesitate to notify us. We at Copper Gaskets Unlimited urge our customers to help us maintain our high standards as to the fit and design of our product.

2.​Make sure all the sealing surfaces are very clean and dry. Once you are ready to install your CGU gaskets, be careful to touch only the edges. An oily fingerprint on the sealing surface can cause gasket failure.

3.​When the surfaces are properly prepared, apply gasket sealer to both sides of your gasket only. We recommend Permatex Ultra Gray3294 sealer or Copper coat. Wait ten minutes for the sealer to cure.

4.​Assemble the engine following OEM specifications, again making sure not to compromise the seal with oil or grease of any kind. During assembly, pay special attention to the condition of the threads on all nuts, bolts and studs. Dirt, rust
or other contamination can cause torque specs to be reached before proper bolt stretching occurs. Torque the head bolts to the recommended setting and in the proper sequences. After assembly, allow the sealer to fully cure for 24 hours, then start the engine and allow it to reach operating temperature. Then shut it down and recheck the torque on all the fasteners. When everything has again cooled, check the torque for a third time.

5.​After the first time out with your machine, recheck the torque to be sure nothing has settled and lessened the pressure on your CGU gasket.

Follow these instructions, and your CGU gasket should last as long as the engine.

COPPER GASKETS UNLIMITED
515 E. Carefree Hwy., #673
Phoenix, AZ 85085
(623) 340-4300
https://www.coppergaskets.us
Check us out!!!

If you could find sheet copper in a suitable thickness, a patient man ( gulp) could make his own. I still wonder about enlarging the openings in the gaskets to match the openings in the head. I think it would allow faster flow and therefore better cooling, but I am unsure if they aren't designed the way they are to keep the flow uniform all the way around and even more flow in the center between the jugs.
IMG_1158.JPG

I know I've posted this question before and the guys who sounded smarter than me (everyone) thought the larger openings were just casting recesses. Note the two smaller holes at 12:00.
IMG_1160.JPG

The water does have to go from the jugs to the heads and out the top. What controls where it flows and how much gets to which parts? Maybe it should be left how it is.
IMG_0270.JPG

I'd leave the holes as they are they seem to control the flow correctly as is. Opened up you may create steam pocket hot spots.

well im going to look real good at the big hole areas ...to see if that leads to for sure more flow to head ...if it does im going to go for opening them up more ...it seems erics head really took out the gasket between the cylinders ....in light of this more flow id say it has to help...i will say 1200 motors flow more water than earlier oldwings 1100s and 1000s ...so an increase in flow area of 12% is quite a bit and increasing the ability of the water flow to head will probably be a good thing ...im leaning to give all the flow i can and no restriction at all ...