Two barrel carburetor conversion

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WindNWing

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blame my friend Joedrum for this post, he asked if I could post some information about the single carb set up on my 1100 Interstate.

The first thing I will say is that I am completely happy with it. I bought her without knowing there was any conversion (at the time I knew nothing about Goldwings) I am grateful to this forum for changing that.

I have about 4,000 miles on it now and she has always started easy cold or warm. She idles very smooth and I can drop it down to about 700 RPM before it starts to have a problem, I normally run the idle around 1000/1100 RPM. It accelerates very well and the second barrel opens up around 3/4 throttle. I never turn the gas valve off and haven’t had any problems with fuel bypassing the float valve. The only problem I‘ve had was the accelerator pump developed a leak and I couldn’t find the correct replacement. I bought one that was close and filed the push button down about 1/32" to make it work.

I average around 35 mpg and close to 40 on the highway.

I haven’t been able to find exactly which Weber carburetor it is. The numbers I found on the base are 28/300 which makes no sense to me or the auto suppliers.

The idle problem I've read about seems to be on the tubular (non-heated manifolds) they complain about a cold intake and condensation build up on the outside. This one is heated by the coolant and has a petcock on each side to burp the air from the system.
intake manifold.jpg

The only thing I would change would be to reinstall the return throttle cable, right now it only has the pull cable and a return spring. If the spring should break or come lose, the kill switch would be the only option.
throttle linkage.jpg

two barrel.jpg

I told Joe I wasn't sure I knew enough about this set up to make an intelligent post but his answer was that intelligence wasn't a requirement on this forum. :smilie_happy:

Yes very good post!

I'd like to see more pictures too.
Would it be too much trouble to pull it out for more detail?
I'd like to build one and from what I've read if the manifold is not heated there can be problems,
yours sounds like the one to copy.

Sorry guys, right now I have no plans to pull it, if it ever needs to come out I will take/post pictures. the picture I posted is about the best I can do. It's really well hidden under the shelter. I saw one on flebay once and I wish now I had grabbed the picture because I have searched all over the web and can't come up with another picture.

I would describe it as an inverted T. The top section is about 4" front to back and 2" thick. The two runners out to the cylinder inlets are fan shaped, also 2" thick, starting around 4" and fanning out to about 6" wide with the outlet nipples to connect to the cylinder inlets. The coolant enters on each side bottom and exits from center bottom. It was made by Cycle Innovations which no longer makes them.

I believe the the outlet sizes of the carb is what describes it, if that is true then my weber is a 28/30. I made an extra gasket for the base and thats where I found these sizes.

yeah ive seen the manifold hes got .....it was the top of the line setup from CI .....the weber carb sounds nice in operation ....gary lives in ohio with pretty derverse weather .....he seems to have been pretty resorceful on the accerator pump problem and has ideal on his thottle hookup ......

im impressed his bike is an 83 so its load is on the heavy side ......i think that i would love to have his setup on my 83 .....seems the only down side is about 3-5mpg maybe ......

im jelious ..... :good: :rocks: :mrgreen:

WindNWing":oldgcoiu said:
Blame my friend Joedrum for this post, he asked if I could post some information about the single carb set up on my 1100 Interstate.

The first thing I will say is that I am completely happy with it. I bought her without knowing there was any conversion (at the time I knew nothing about Goldwings) I am grateful to this forum for changing that.

I have about 4,000 miles on it now and she has always started easy cold or warm. She idles very smooth and I can drop it down to about 700 RPM before it starts to have a problem, I normally run the idle around 1000/1100 RPM. It accelerates very well and the second barrel opens up around 3/4 throttle. I never turn the gas valve off and haven’t had any problems with fuel bypassing the float valve. The only problem I‘ve had was the accelerator pump developed a leak and I couldn’t find the correct replacement. I bought one that was close and filed the push button down about 1/32" to make it work.

I average around 35 mpg and close to 40 on the highway.

I haven’t been able to find exactly which Weber carburetor it is. The numbers I found on the base are 28/300 which makes no sense to me or the auto suppliers.

The idle problem I've read about seems to be on the tubular (non-heated manifolds) they complain about a cold intake and condensation build up on the outside. This one is heated by the coolant and has a petcock on each side to burp the air from the system.
View attachment 2
The only thing I would change would be to reinstall the return throttle cable, right now it only has the pull cable and a return spring. If the spring should break or come lose, the kill switch would be the only option.
View attachment 1

I told Joe I wasn't sure I knew enough about this set up to make an intelligent post but his answer was that intelligence wasn't a requirement on this forum. :smilie_happy:
Always nice to see conversions.Thanks for uploading the pics. :rocks: :rocks:

joedrum":3qeyfmqg said:
yeah ive seen the manifold hes got .....it was the top of the line setup from CI .....the weber carb sounds nice in operation ....gary lives in ohio with pretty derverse weather .....he seems to have been pretty resorceful on the accerator pump problem and has ideal on his thottle hookup ......

im impressed his bike is an 83 so its load is on the heavy side ......i think that i would love to have his setup on my 83 .....seems the only down side is about 3-5mpg maybe ......

im jelious ..... :good: :rocks: :mrgreen:
Just a quick correction on the manifold,... it's a CC Manifold, one of the best there was ever made because of the way it's heated,... never get rid of that because it's worth some money!!! The CI is a Cycle Innovations none heated manifold with a single barrel Holley 1940 carb on it!!!! There are rebuild kits for that Weber 28/30 and they also put a 28/36 on it! I'm jealous so don't leave it laying around :hihihi: !!! Later, :hi:

jdegase":5lyxakkq said:
some had a holley carb model 1970 ... looks just like the carb on my first car... pinto with 4cyl.

heres a few pics I found on the net.
image.php

Very close Jim but still not exactly the same intake as mine. The configuration is correct with the coolant connections and bleed valve openings.

Even though mine is an aluminum casting it looks more like a weldment of rectangular tubing and does not have the larger radiuses in the corners. The one in this picture is much more rounded and molded than mine.

No prizes but I wonder who will find the correct picture first. I haven't been able to and I know what it looks like. :doh:

You know, I am perfectly happy with my OEM carb set up, but that looks bad ass. It reminds me of the 60's and 70's muscle cars with the hood scoops. I can picture a 440 with a six pack on it.

Should be a CCProducts manifold. Don't believe CI ever made a water cooled/heated manifold.
I have one on my 78 Naked Wing. Plenty of power for my riding habits. 28/30 Weber mounted to it, a DGV model I believe.
Mine does have the throttle wheel on it so both cables are used. Plus it passed emissions testing.
Phoenix may be the only place in the country that requires it for motorcycles. About 35 or so for city riding and 40 to 42 hiway with all the Vetters tupperware mounted. Haven't done a mileage run since I pulled the tupperware off back in October.

Running one around here with the temps rolling around the 102 to 112 range should be interesting. Having that breeze always running over you can make a difference. :heat:

78AzWing":zv9jqy5o said:
Running one around here with the temps rolling around the 102 to 112 range should be interesting. :heat:
:shock: :shock: :shock: No way! 102 degrees is too hot for me! (I know....wussy)

I figure if I want to see snow I can drive up to it - less than a hundred miles. Actually less than sixty as the antique jeep runs. :good:

And there is always the lawn chair under the sprinkler for the warm season. :heat:

OK some of you might find some of this interestig for all others NEVER MIND :smilie_happy:
GW Single Carbs.jpg
GW Single Carbs 001.jpg
GW Single Carbs 002.jpg
GW Single Carbs 003.jpg
ok for some unknown reason to me I am unable to add attachments until I have submitted the post , then I can go into edit and add the attachemnts,if i don't mess up and leave a hanging post (which is worse than a hanging chad :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: ????? HELP :whistling: :whistling:

Attachments

• GW Single Carbs 001.jpg
    GW Single Carbs 001.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 345
  • GW Single Carbs 002.jpg
    GW Single Carbs 002.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 344

Latest posts