Dyna lll install?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekvh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an older version Dyna lll, black box type. When I go to static time it, the light is dim all the time. I have 12v in to the box, 7.1v out to pickups. Ground is to the engine. Module must be toast??? The wires are in a loom, so I will pull them and see if there's a break in one of the wires. Just checking if anyone else has had this with a simple fix. TIA, Eric

Dyna wants to test them. This is a freeby that someone gave me. They didn't say it worked and at the time, I was just after the magnet piece on the cam. I fried my other one yesterday after putting on a new rear fender I must have pulled my sense wire from the reg/rec. fried my $135 battery, the Dyna, probably the reg/rec too. I made it about 4 miles and it died in the absolutely most dangerous part of the city. I had a friend who came and picked Schitzoid (my bike) and me up. I am ready to raid my running 77 for parts because this 1200 has to be ridden. I am stuck though because I only left myself room for this little Ballistic battery. Overcharge them even a little, and they are toast. I am not patient enough to send them in to Dyna. Live and learn or live and repeat,,, hmmmm.

sheesh eric ...this sounds like hooch ...I went from running super great to falling all over myself with stupid things like this trouble your having beef up we will both get it done

I went and messed a bit more. I am getting 2.44 v back from the coils. I disconnect the power source to the Dyna black box module and still have dim light and 2.44 v. I disconnect the pick up wires and still get 2.44 v on the yellow from the coils. The only way it stops is if I pull the relay or hit kill switch. Can a relay go bad? I have an extra, I'll try it. Sorry thinking out loud through my fingers.

No, I haven't, Dan, but I will. Dyna took the testing procedures off their website. In the meantime, I went out and put the old one back in to test, the one I saw plumes, I mean plumes of smoke coming from. Was just going to see if it would make a full light, to my surprise it did. The other issue I am having is if the bike dies, when turn the ignition off, the bike throws a spark and there must be enough fuel in there for it to fire. It may actually be a slight back fire. I am running to get a fuel line clamp and will see if I can catch it on video to post. I have a car battery with jumpers for now. I'm also picking up some new fuses and plan on going through my wiring to see what else I blew up.

It runs on 3-4. I'll go test the coil for 1-2 but I am willing to bet it's the module toasted on the Dyna. I'll wade brought the coil test procedure. They were both equally warm to touch after a few minutes of running. Sometimes when I shut it off it fires a big shot of flame out the pipes. I was able to watch the cam pulley and the other times it does kick it backwards just a bit. It has been doing this off and on for a few years but not very often.

On the positive side, I ran it enough to feel my reg/rec is still good. Maybe I'll just thro the points back in. I'll have to see if I have enough ballast for the 3 ohm coils. I think I have a 2.2 still.

Latest posts