Adding ABS Brakes

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atticka

Reaction score
Has anyone looked in to or had success adding ABS brakes to their classic Goldwing?

Thoughts on the subject?

Automatic Braking Solution.......I automatically pull my brake handle and depress my brake pedal to stop my bike now! :smilie_happy:

I like the ABS brakes on the 1800, but I don't see how we could adapt it for 1100's.

I have never liked handing over control of the brakes to ABS. Too many times I've needed to lock up the tires. Another 5 ft of travel with ABS could have proven quite painful.

ABS is proven to improve braking distance by preventing your tires from locking up (locked up tires = reduced traction and control).

The courses we take here in Quebec actually demonstrates (and has you test the phenomenon on a bike) the effectiveness of proper emergency braking, primarily focused on preventing tire lock up while braking hard (actually....if you lock up your tires during the learners permit test you automatically fail).

In either case, we all have our own level of comfort when it comes to what we trust our selves and machines to handle, nothing will replace the riders ability to react properly to an emergency situation. Personally I prefer to increase my overall odds of survival by having both skills and well maintained safe equipment.

ABS has proven over many years to be better on auto's, but gee on a bike....I'm just not sure I want a little box deciding for me to apply more front or more rear regardless which brake I apply.
A scenario would be if you wanted the rear to skid so you can lay it down. I don't think it would let you do that.

ABS is only better if you want to steer around something and I finally proved that in a situation a couple of years ago to myself. On the dreaded driveway I could pull up in about 2 car lengths or less , if you chuck the car sideways in a non ABS Subaru, with ABS it is about 5 car lengths and I am trying to push the brake pedal through the floor. Most people travelling to the Cape on single lane off-road tracks have learnt this lesson the hard way and we install an isolation switch so that you can turn the ABS off. I like to trail the rear brake as traction control for slippery / difficult conditions ( up the dreaded driveway). The main criteria for a new bike with ABS would be control selectable as most new manufactures are going to.

ABS like linked brakes on 83-2000 you give up some elements of control,as you can't apply rear brakes only.You get both a front,& rear brake about 60-40 front to rear, with rear brake applied.Pretty good safety feature on pavement,many of the bikes brought to me for brake work,have good front brake's on the caliper with front brake only.Showing some people use only the rear brake lever,not really the best.But years ago many people were afraid to use rear brake as rear end comes around pretty easy with rear only brakes. GRAVEL & DIRT roads are the only place I do not like the linked brakes,& as both front brakes wear about the same on my bikes, they are great,but I use both brakes.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=133497#p133497:59m0plqq said:
Denver » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:55 am[/url]":59m0plqq]
ABS like linked brakes on 83-2000 you give up some elements of control,as you can't apply rear brakes only.You get both a front,& rear brake about 60-40 front to rear, with rear brake applied.Pretty good safety feature on pavement,many of the bikes brought to me for brake work,have good front brake's on the caliper with front brake only.Showing some people use only the rear brake lever,not really the best.But years ago many people were afraid to use rear brake as rear end comes around pretty easy with rear only brakes. GRAVEL & DIRT roads are the only place I do not like the linked brakes,& as both front brakes wear about the same on my bikes, they are great,but I use both brakes.

:good: Make the rider the ABS computer, I believe good road craft beats electronics every time :yes:

Love the purists here, don't ever change guys.

So, let's get back on track.... if I wanted to add ABS to a classic Goldwing, how do you think it should be done?

You would need electronic speed sensors for each wheel, ABS brake pump, ABS ECU, higher output alternator/ charge circuit, warning light and all the necessary hardware to mount theses items and splice into the brakes hydraulic circuit.

Just because I like to stir the pot from time to time...

Enjoy these video's:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3MfLcJLaCs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6kO6ltk3a0

This one is neat, shows off the new Bosch system I linked earlier:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h9MVbkpLZQ

So, yes... having the skills to ride properly will always be a necessity, however having ABS\MCS will increase your chance of survival in an emergency braking situation no matter how you slice it.

Haters can hate, nay sayers can nay, nothing changes facts.

Key fact to remember, a rolling tire (on either a car or a bike) has more grip than a sliding tire.

Good luck trying to adapt such a system to one of these old bikes. It's gotten pretty difficult to find replacement master cylinders that can be fitted.You will need to somehow adapt an entire braking system for it to work properly.

You're most likely right, while I don't think it is impossible to add ABS it is most definitely not in my budget or skill set :p

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=134071#p134071:fuohz0uf said:
Atticka » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:47 am[/url]":fuohz0uf]
You're most likely right, while I don't think it is impossible to add ABS it is most definitely not in my budget or skill set :p
Or mine :smilie_happy:
Neither is the new BMW which has an ABS system that I like :(

If anyone is serious about ABS on a Classic Wing .. which
is about the only way I'd ride one given today's
distracted driver_road rage_opioid clientele:

Get to know Motorcycle Auctions Online .. google it.

Choose which year of BMW ABS you'd prefer &
purchase a wrecked machine - purchase a Clymer's
Manual.

Tone rings will need be mounted to the Honda rims
so see a machine shop.

Each physical BMW part you remove - install it on the GL.

The ABS is a separate module - the newer units do Talk
to the ECM for things like ACS .. nice anti skid thing,
but that just tells the ABS what to do when the front
and rear Tone Ring Readings don't match speed & Attitude..
again .. not included in this install.

By now you'll have all the Hydraulic lines & Master Cylinders
plumbed & secured leaving the electrical.

Sensors have dedicated hook ups .. you'll need to have
the power to the Fuse Panel.

Any Automotive Electrics Shop can handle the electrical
in an afternoon should you need assurance.

Bring the Schematic for the parts bike - for them it's a no brainer.

Not Rocket Science AND .. if you plan to keep a Classic as a regular rider
.. a much better idea for longevity.

Ideas first, then the planing part needs to start. :read:
You'll have a few watching anyone doing, and posting such a project, me included. :good:
Welcome aboard, you should like it here. :hi:

Thanks, Denver ..

Here's another thought toward ABS ..
.. dump the Brick 'n Trans &
insert a 1200 GL powerplant.

'AXIS Power'

Toughest fab up are engine hangers.

Stay Tuned!

Attachments

• 62c22b5cc1e0f38bcb3addcb7e51fc2b.jpg
    62c22b5cc1e0f38bcb3addcb7e51fc2b.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 128
There is a kid on the Do The Ton site building a GL1000 as a test bed for a generic ABS system. Honestly, I think he is just jerking his professors around and wasting money (probably funded by a government grant). So far, most of what he has done is mess with the handling and turn it into a cafe. He was talking at first of turbo charging it - but still using the CV carbs! A seriously simple bolt-on kit, even if salvaged from another bike, would be great. I wish my 1800 had ABS, but Honda demanded purchase of an overpriced brain-dead GPS to get to the ABS option.

Latest posts