One for the painters

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianinpa

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In 2010 I bought the 1100 and the paint was faded and needed to be changed. When I painted it, I was happy with the results: GM Charcoal Gray. If I parked the bike next to a 2010 Camaro it was the same color... in fact, that is why I painted it that color. I covered it with duplicolor clear coat from a rattle can and the only thing I didn't like about it was that it wouldn't stand up to fuel spills.

Fast forward two years and the clear coat turned into an alligator skin.

Last Spring I tried something that I had read somewhere on Al Gore's invention: the world wide web. :smilie_happy:

Anyway, I read that Minwax spray polyurethane was one of the only rattle can clear sprays that is resistant to fuel spills, so why not give it a try. I sprayed the left side of the tank with with Minwax spray poly and the right side with Rust-Oleum spray poly. Both seem to have held up the same for the past year and I really can't tell a difference, but I like how Minwax goes on better.

So if you don't want to spend a fortune on a 2 part clear coat spray can system or you do not have the ability to use a spray gun, this might be for you.

Now on to my question... what caused the alligator skin?

The medulla oblongata? :blush: :mrgreen:

Hmmmm...I've seen clear coat that would do that before, but can't remember what I was told caused it. Perhaps too thick of a coat, and lots of heat cycles?

My friend who has done a lot of painting says that, without seeing the paint but knowing it was rattle can clear, it was on too thick and too many coats without enough drying time between coats. He said that sometimes it will "crawl right up on you within a week" or will crinkle up over time as the lower coats are drying slower than the top coats because the top coats were exposed to air longer and the uneven drying shows up in the cracks.

I'm not a painter, but it sounded reasonable to me.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=114488#p114488:hf0ogm1i said:
mcgovern61 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:03 pm[/url]":hf0ogm1i]
My friend who has done a lot of painting says that, without seeing the paint but knowing it was rattle can clear, it was on too thick and too many coats without enough drying time between coats. He said that sometimes it will "crawl right up on you within a week" or will crinkle up over time as the lower coats are drying slower than the top coats because the top coats were exposed to air longer and the uneven drying shows up in the cracks.

I'm not a painter, but it sounded reasonable to me.

That is about the most logical explanation I have read. I didn't think I sprayed it on too think, but maybe I rushed it and that is why I only had the problem on the tank shelter and not on anything else: it was the last part to get teh clear coat and I wanted to get it doen so I could get the bike back on the road.

skiri251":hf0ogm1i said:
> Minwax spray polyurethane

Wow! It's less than $10 a can.
I have been using SprayMax 2K two part rattle can which is about twice the price.

https://www.repaintsupply.com/pd_2_part_2k_aerosol.cfm

So this Minwax is not a two part and I don't have to use it up once I mix like two part?
And it is fuel proof?

Good to know!

I will try it next time.

Not a 2 part kit. You just have to look in the wood finishing area of your local Lowes or similar store.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=116075#p116075:2oo6kzwk said:
toytender01 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:51 pm[/url]":2oo6kzwk]
Nah! Momma Alegators produce baby Aeagatoe skins! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

:mrgreen: