Alternator Conversion Pics by Bdubswing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got a question here, fully undertand the external "stator" conversion, well mostly understand ! and there are a variety of approaches. My question is would it not be better/preferred to remove the old stator from the block? I have read stories where parts of the fried stator has deposited "crap" into the block creating other types of problems..... but then if you've got the engine out far enough to remove the fried stator why not just put a new one in rather than fabbing the extra gearing and loss of "space" the new external unit will take up? I've got an 80/1100 with a fried stator but I'm not convinced as to which approach I want to take. My intent is to strip down this 1100 into more of a cafe/race configuration; therefore . thinking the external generator/altenator is excess external baggage. Now, also have an 83/1100 interstate and an 84/1200 interstate; hence my desire to strip down the 80 for the thrill of the Missouri Ozarks a little bit above the posted speed limit! ........swapping the 83 over to the 80 frame is also a thought! ...... Crowe ..... :Egyptian:

dan filipi":a9taio0s said:
oneted":a9taio0s said:
same thing with the alt went to shop and asked for one that fits in the space

That's what I did too. I think mine is smaller than oneted's.

I just had my little Denso suddenly start putting out over 15 volts. The shop tested it but came up fine but I had them refurbish it with a new regulator, brushes etc.
I asked him what it's out of and model number. He said he's seen them on forklifts and riding mowers but didnt have a part number if that helps any. I think he didnt want to tell me the part number for me to go shopping around because I discussed with him awhile back about making a kit to sell and he supply the alternator. He did tell me a brand new one the same is about $180, could prolly find that cheaper.
Hi Dan, If you can let me know the alternator details I may be able to advise you of the crossover applications.

I have a 1981 1100 Wing that I am about to restore again. I went through this bike in 2001 and it was a gem. However: Health problems caused it to be neglected for about 10 years now and I am simply going to start over. I am wanting to add some ridiculous audio equipment and I plan to add an automotive alternator of some sort like is being discussed on this thread. I am wondering what would happen if one simply moved the radiator fan to the front side of the radiator and let it blow through the radiator as opposed to pulling through it. Would this work? Would it allow the room needed for belt and pulley? Any input would be appreciated.

Stock fan won't push from the front. You'll need one that can be set to push. If you want the pulley forward of the timing belt covers the radiator will need moved forward also.