C5 Optical Ignitions

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=127875#p127875:zwlsbree said:
joedrum » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:21 am[/url]":zwlsbree]
well me after having what i got now ... never again cv carbs ... never again stock ignition ... in my opinion even the best cv carbs lack low end performance by design ... c5 ignitions is best thing out out there ...it operates in boundries that no other oldwing ignitions can even dream about ... i dont care who sets them up ... the parts are incapable of providing this period ...nice bike cndwing.....

That is why I am in no rush to change the stator on my 1200 again. Saving some pennies so I can change both things at once. Nothing wrong with the ignition that is on the bike now... I just know there is something out there that is better so while I have the motor out AGAIN, I am changing the ignition.

I like McGovern- When I first installed the c5 I did not need any choke. Now that it has been on for about a year I find I need to choke at first start

I washed the bike at the car wash this am-with bike running. When I got on the bike to leave, I found it was sputtering because something got wet. This lasted for about two miles and went smoothly again.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=127993#p127993:lwzr646f said:
wilcoy02 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:20 am[/url]":lwzr646f]
I like McGovern- When I first installed the c5 I did not need any choke. Now that it has been on for about a year I find I need to choke at first start

I washed the bike at the car wash this am-with bike running. When I got on the bike to leave, I found it was sputtering because something got wet. This lasted for about two miles and went smoothly again.
Did you put on new plug boots?
Water drain holes at the plugs clear?

new boots when I installed c5 last year.
weep holes are clear,

I will pull the plugs and look at them soon. When I am riding at 35 and go for full throttle to 80 I get a real hesitation. I thought maybe my clutch. A buddy rode it today and says it is not the clutch-but no idea what it is.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=128055#p128055:2snnn9qg said:
wilcoy02 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:25 pm[/url]":2snnn9qg]
new boots when I installed c5 last year.
weep holes are clear,

I will pull the plugs and look at them soon. When I am riding at 35 and go for full throttle to 80 I get a real hesitation. I thought maybe my clutch. A buddy rode it today and says it is not the clutch-but no idea what it is.

If it hesitates under hard acceleration I'd look at carbs before the clutch. You also mentioned needing choke now. Not sure if they are related but could be?

hmmmmm....if c5 is hook up to old wiring ... it could be that maybe has degraded some to cause problems when wet......might want to hook strait to battery and see if problem is still there or gone .... :headscratch:

Joe,
Hook what straight to the battery? This is the first wet problem I have had.
I did use the old wiring-How can I skip the old wires?

I am going to change the fuel filter also.

well with the water statement you mentioned ..tells me the power to the c5 is getting compromised ... the statement of statement of needing more choke with the water statement ..kind of tells me power is compromised down low in rpm also when cold... after it warms up this all seems to go away ... it dont really its just warm enough to run while still compromised ...is what i am thinking it might be .....on hooch i bypassed the old wiring with relay ... only to have the relay go bad ... so at the moment i am running the red power lead from c5 strait to the possitive battery terminal... only interrupted by a screw on yellow electricians wire nut ...

simply put i wire it together with wire nut and ignition get power right from battery no old wiring and no relay ...then turn key on as normal and start bike and go ....till i figure out or can afford a relay system as good as a wire nut ...or a really good on off switch ...hooch will stay this way ... c5 has to have good power or be compromised by whatever the condition it is hook up to ... i am not taking chances on that .... i can see the connection i make now every time ... gary from power arc had posted a relay he thought was good enough some time back ... i would talk to paul some on this wes .....be great if you could make the meet and greet ...paul coming ...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=128108#p128108:nl599nj6 said:
joedrum » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:38 am[/url]":nl599nj6]
well with the water statement you mentioned ..tells me the power to the c5 is getting compromised ... the statement of statement of needing more choke with the water statement ..kind of tells me power is compromised down low in rpm also when cold... after it warms up this all seems to go away ... it dont really its just warm enough to run while still compromised ...is what i am thinking it might be .....on hooch i bypassed the old wiring with relay ... only to have the relay go bad ... so at the moment i am running the red power lead from c5 strait to the possitive battery terminal... only interrupted by a screw on yellow electricians wire nut ...

simply put i wire it together with wire nut and ignition get power right from battery no old wiring and no relay ...then turn key on as normal and start bike and go ....till i figure out or can afford a relay system as good as a wire nut ...or a really good on off switch ...hooch will stay this way ... c5 has to have good power or be compromised by whatever the condition it is hook up to ... i am not taking chances on that .... i can see the connection i make now every time ... gary from power arc had posted a relay he thought was good enough some time back ... i would talk to paul some on this wes .....be great if you could make the meet and greet ...paul coming ...

Joe is correct. If lack of voltage is ever suspect, the first thing we do is bypass the ignition switch and handlebar kill switch. They cause about 50% of running issues I deal with.
If the bike does not improve, we move to the next item (water in the plug cap can also cause this so blast dry with compressed air) and work from there.
Call if you need to. 920-810-0946

-Paul

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=128115#p128115:2tsx50o6 said:
dan filipi » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:13 am[/url]":2tsx50o6]
These are all common troubleshooting tips that should be used with any ignition system.
First order is good power has to go in to get good power out.
Which in most cases is solved by using a good quality relay that provides healthy battery power to the ignition while using the old switch circuitry to run the relay ( best mod for any old wiring IMHO). To be scientific you can check the supply voltage at your coils with a good multimeter

I used to think Bosch relays were good.
Now I'm not so sure anything Bosch is worth buying.
I'm on my 3rd Bosch battery that's lasted less than 3 years and my local trusted auto parts dudes tell me their oxygen sensors are crap and don't last.

The beauty of most manufactures sourcing the cheapest products possible. We no longer have Australian manufactured Bosch products and atm with Bosch relays I think the best ones are from Spain. That said I have been using some Chinese relays from my wholesaler that are working like a charm. As with most products it helps when you can get a recommendation from someone that is using a product that us successful. This whole product confidence/ quality thing is even worse when you are trying to buy a new car as it seems by the time you know what the problems are you already own them :(

That's one reason I just got a 21 year old Taurus - I know them well, and the "bugs" have long since been fixed. Oh, and the woman selling it was HOT!!! :yes:

Hey Paul, is there any way a C5 could be made to fit a '93 Ford 3.0 Vulcan V6? Not exactly high performance, but a very dependable engine. Just a thought...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=128189#p128189:2mzalqxi said:
Steve83 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:18 pm[/url]":2mzalqxi]
That's one reason I just got a 21 year old Taurus - I know them well, and the "bugs" have long since been fixed. Oh, and the woman selling it was HOT!!! :yes:

Hey Paul, is there any way a C5 could be made to fit a '93 Ford 3.0 Vulcan V6? Not exactly high performance, but a very dependable engine. Just a thought...

Depends on if it had a distributor, which I think they did not...I used to sell them back in the day but that was a long long time ago!

We can design a kit for anything with a distributor. Custom "one off" kits are a bit expensive to make but find some friends and the next thing you know...BAAAMMMM we have another kit available!

That is the honest boring method we use to decide what is created next. LOL