Shinko 230 Tourmaster performance reports

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to take a look at my Bridgestone S11 rear tire with 7900 miles on it and it still looks fairly new with very little wear. I put a Bridgestone S11 on the front last spring and it still looks like it came out of the box. No way a tire should loose that much rubber in that short amount of time (or miles). :nea:

My rear wore out in 6000 miles which I was really happy with. A performance tire will normally wear out a lot faster ( remember my Metzler Lasertech ( 3000 klms)). With the Shinkos being almost half price of most other tires that perform as well ( wet weather, cornering and breaking) I think that 12000 miles for the same spend is more than fair. I will say that I hate the idea of flat centering the tires with all that US freeway running ( 1000 mile day from Newcastle WY to Winnemucca NV) which occurred with one day ride on my rear Shinko and only started to come good after some peg scraping riding around Julian CA.
I can now appreciate why anyone would consider Darksiding as I hate flat spotting good tires and if you have to do lots of highway miles it may as well be flat to start with. :yes:
Maybe run flats are your next option Joel? :smilie_happy: it would be similar to riding a hard-tail. :smilie_happy:

Actually, run flat car tires are usually only run at about 28-30 psi on the rear of a GL1800, and feel MUCH softer than an MT. Wish I could find one to fit the 1000. I get ~18000 miles on Michelin Alpin Primacys. On my 3rd now.

Thru the ether from my LP2

Howdy Ansimp ! You were correct about the 712 tire !! 8,000 miles and it is ready to show cords in the center of it!! ...back to the 230 and this time i also will try some ride on, i need both tires this time so i may as well try it! Much Thank's for your advise and had to let ya know you were "dead on the money"

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=142387#p142387:3s7a3uf7 said:
sgq700 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:22 am[/url]":3s7a3uf7]
Howdy Ansimp ! You were correct about the 712 tire !! 8,000 miles and it is ready to show cords in the center of it!! ...back to the 230 and this time i also will try some ride on, i need both tires this time so i may as well try it! Much Thank's for your advise and had to let ya know you were "dead on the money"
I am actually impressed that you managed 8000 miles out of the 712 :good:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=142402#p142402:2113rmay said:
joedrum » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:00 pm[/url]":2113rmay]
ive neve seen 8000 miles on any bike tire ever ...sheesh must be the gravel roads ...
Or your throttle grip!! :smilie_happy:

tires are like shoes. Use them every day they wear faster. Every other day for some reason makes them last much longer.

My tourmaster 230 was smooth riding and grippy throughout its short life. I returned from a 2,000 mile trip to find the tire down to the wear strips. We where travelling ~70-80mph, loaded, two-up, pulling a light trailer. The first 1000 miles of the tires life was mostly around town and it was wearing well. The 2,000 mile trip was mostly in 60F - 70F temperatures. Had we ridden though some hot days we likely would have had to buy a new tire on the road.

In my opinion this tire works well if you can keep the heat out of it but it is not a touring tire.

Loaded two up was probably past recommended load limits. It's easy enough to exceed just filling the bags and trunk. Just the rear tire had worn out?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=158370#p158370:fi5wecqk said:
slabghost » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:12 am[/url]":fi5wecqk]
Loaded two up was probably past recommended load limits. It's easy enough to exceed just filling the bags and trunk. Just the rear tire had worn out?
+1 also if tire pressure was too low for the load that would accelerate wear. My first 230 on the Rats Nest delivered 6k miles and 4.2k miles of those was done in 6.5 days going LA to Sturgis and back through as many twisties as possible :yes:

Tires where run at max pressures. The matching front shinko is a dual compound as in the mountains you could see a distinct step from the hard centre ridge to the soft sides. The return trip across the prairies wore the centre to even out the tire again. I ordered a Michelin Commander for the rear, the front looks ok for now, maybe just past halfway worn.

I agree, the rear carcass is too soft for a full load.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=158380#p158380:29ilry88 said:
Ansimp » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:12 pm[/url]":29ilry88]
What was your max pressure Jorge?

Can't recall offhand. It's on a sticker of my 83 swingarm. I believe 32 front/40 rear. Probably should have looked at the max rating on the tire though :oops:

I don't run any less than 42 psi in the rear and 36 psi in the front. If I have extra load I start increasing the rear up around 46+