Painting your Bike

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go to this website (scroll down to post # #2338616) --> https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/sho ... er=2338616

I have personally painted my pickup truck a few years back using the methods used in the forum and get a good looking paint job at a real affordable cost. Only thing is it is hard work and takes a lot of time. But realistically with a motorcycle I don't see why it can not be done over a weekend. Finish the job with some polyurethane and the paint will last a long time.

:rocks:

I could use a couple of tips. I painted mine a couple of months ago and it turned out pretty decent, considering the limited types of materials we are allowed to use here in Kalifornia. I ended up with three good coats of clearcoat over the base. My questions are regarding wet sanding the clearcoat. I believe they use 1000 or 1500 grit for this, and only enough to get rid of the high spots, or orange peel if any and proceed with buffing with I believe three different compounds to end up with a decent gloss. Am I on the right tract here?

Sounds right to me ... I've always read that people wet sand in steps from 600 to as high as 2000 grit and then use a polishing compound followed by a wax ...and that's it ....most of the best results seemed to relate to how much elbow grease (time) they put into it and the quality of their polishers ...and everybody recommends a random orbiting polisher that goes somewhere between 2500 and 3500 rpm ...I think around 3000 rpm is supposed to be the sweet spot. Forget which makes and models people recommend but do a quick search on popular polishers and you'll find one with the best or most reviews.

G/L .... would love to see how yours is turning out. I plan on painting my GL1100I gloss black with some gold trim.

:good:

If you are new to wed sanding I would use 1500 only, 600 is way too rough. The biggest mistake people make with wet sanding clear coat is to sand too much and use too much pressure. Never use your fingertips but a sanding block and the palm of your hand on the curved areas. Go light on the pressure once you have a consistant surface go to the polisher. Here again with the polisher, not a lot of pressure, I like 3Ms polishing compound.

I have seem many cases where people have sanded through the clear coat and that really becomes a mess. Not only that you don't want to take off more of the clear coat than you need to.

Good Luck