83 gl1100 front brake calipers.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilcoy02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can any one tell me which caliper goes on the front wheel. The calipers have 2 different size pistons on the front wheel.

Does the bigger piston go to the hand brake?
Does the smaller piston caliper go to the linked back brake?

Or is it the other way around?

I can not find it in any manual or searches.

If the calipers are off the bike they can only fit back on one way...with the bleeders & line connection toward the rear. Yes...... you're correct about the smaller pistons on the linked brake side.

They are off the bike.
The rear caliper is really stuck on one piston. Tried my air compressor of 122 #, soaked all night, and put in a pan of hot water on the grill. All to no avail. I have yet to figure out how to use a grease gun on it.

At least I have the front done.

I have the smaller pistons on the right side of the bike sitting on the bike.

Thanks for the info -- It was needed. I carefully placed all the parts of one caliper on the side of the bike it came off of. But when it got to putting on the pads I took both to the table and forgot which was which.

the end of the grease gun should unscrew and open up ...when good it should fit on brake bleeder ....you then scre down some to tighten it on the bleeder ...for dual piston brake ...like you said one stuck and the other moves take a c clamp and put it on the one that moves ...so it cant move now ...then pump the grease gun wes the stuck piston will now move and come out

Always use the master cylinder, with a set of old brake pad's to hold piston's in caliper's. :yes: Have yet to have one that will not come loose, :nea: air compressor at 135# is nothing by comparison. :smilie_happy:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=170745#p170745:l28b9so0 said:
Denver » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:24 pm[/url]":l28b9so0]
Always use the master cylinder, with a set of old brake pad's to hold piston's in caliper's. :yes: Have yet to have one that will not come loose, :nea: air compressor at 135# is nothing by comparison. :smilie_happy:
Yep, same here! Always used the master to pop stuck pistons and it never let me down yet!